DataAve

Interesting read

Scott Jones started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Scott Jones decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA.

Maybe he should have sat down with his DELL laptop and used his MICROSOFT software to check the NEWS and tonight's TV LISTINGS on his YAHOO account.

Edited by Guest

And who is to blame for all the products being made overseas???

Consumers and Unions both.

We as consumers demand the lowest prices possible. We can only blame ourselves for that. Cheap prices require cheap labor.

Why should a company pay 5 (Union)men at $35.00 per hour (+benefits) to perform a job that in reality only requires one person at a wage of $13 per hour? Now send the workload overseas and you get a family of 4 (kids included) to work for you at a wage of about 2,000 per year, no benefits. The benefit to them is that they get to eat.

scottj

Why should a company pay 5 (Union)men at $35.00 per hour (+benefits) to perform a job that in reality only requires one person at a wage of $13 per hour? Now send the workload overseas and you get a family of 4 (kids included) to work for you at a wage of about 2,000 per year, no benefits. The benefit to them is that they get to eat.

Alowing illegal aliens in and then hiring them stopped the AMERICAN FAMILY from making a decent living and feeding his family. Your greed. Where the hell can you live on 13 bucks an hour? "They" live like pack rats and then send the money back to their own country!!!

PS I make more than 30 an hour, the only reason why employers hire "cheap labor" is to put more $$$ in their bank accounts. Union workers just want to pay their bills and would be very hard pressed if they can feed their family on 35 an hour. Do you know the cost of living on Long Island? You fight for nice things, Union workers are fighting to feed their family!

Except that very few real factories will hire illegals. Sweatshops yes, but they tend to be in violation of so many laws that what is one more? Most illegals are working menial labor. Construction seems to be the exception from the rule. Oh and Wal-Mart likes illegals for cleaning staff, but they will shut down a store before they accept a union.

Except that very few real factories will hire illegals. Sweatshops yes, but they tend to be in violation of so many laws that what is one more? Most illegals are working menial labor. Construction seems to be the exception from the rule. Oh and Wal-Mart likes illegals for cleaning staff, but they will shut down a store before they accept a union.

Wake up, illegal aliens are working all over, in all fields/trades/factories. "The U.S.Border Patrol reports over 1,200,000 of Illegals crossed the Mexico-US border in 2004 alone and only 36% were apprehended." THEY HAVE TO WORK/LIVE SOMEWHERE!

HOLA, DESPIERTE!!!

This is because these companies treat their workers with diginity/respect and a decent living (although rare-these companies are out there). Case in point, Cablevision in New York.

PS Walmart would NEVER shut down if they went Union.

Hold on, now you want to get me started?

Don't dare bash Illegal's in front of me GODAMMIT!!!

I have my best workers that are now getting their papers, they do more work and a better faster job than any "LEGAL" that I have ever worked with. These are proud people, and yes, they send their money to their countries so that they can take care of their families, or what? You prefer them to come over and start selling drugs?, or better yet, be bumbs on the street? Ok, I don't like the fact that some are doing that, or the fact that some are driking and being obnosious on the street.

It takes a few to damage the whole, so please, I'm a Immigrant myself, and I take stuff like this VERY VERY personal. This country was built on the backbone of immigrants, wheather they are mexicans, hispanic, white, black, anything, it's just that different times for different people. HOW MUCH you want to bet that in about 50-100 years, our next president is going to have a Immigrant background?

I admit that I have greed, the same greed that stimulates this economy. The more I buy, the more people stay employed in this country. I try to buy American made products as often as possible, but it seems that either the product is far too expensive, or it doesn't exist anymore. I owned a Chrysler once, took 3 transmissions before it finally worked correctly. That is a prime example of Union work performed in this country. My Chrysler must have been built on a Friday 2nd shift.

I can respect your loyalty to the Unions Data but make no mistake in thinking that unions only support US made products. My girlfriend works for a promotional products company that handles the shirts, and various other "giveaway" items for the IBEW and Teamsters in our region. She was strictly told by her customers (the Unions) to order products made overseas and they (the Union officials) would "cut the tags out so the members wouldn't know the difference" in efforts to get the best price. They even went so far as to sign a disclaimer stating that the products were in fact not MADE IN THE USA, and had the union "bug" printed on them anyways.

So although I can appreciate your efforts in defending the Unions, they are more guilty than anyone.

Now put that in your happy pipe and smoke it...haha

HOW MUCH you want to bet that in about 50-100 years, our next president is going to have a Immigrant background?

I give it less than 10 years, think The Terminator

scottj

Yeah, well wake up everything made for the alarm/cctv industry is made in Mexico or China. I hear what your saying (I only buy US made cars - Ford, GM, Chry/Dodge), but you wont find much sympathy here. The alarm business demands cheap cheap cheap.

Do you know the cost of living on Long Island? You fight for nice things, Union workers are fighting to feed their family!

yep, the cost of living on Long Island is 1/2 that of ours for sure ...

Edited by Guest

hmmm, talking about unions, they are crippling our tourism industry as well as many other things .. like quality of work: Our Electric goes off at least once a day now thanks to the union strikes, and then there are the phones which dont work when they have their usual sick outs .. they block the bridge to the main tourist island here, they stop cruise ship passengers from getting off the boats .. they dont care about anyone else here, so I have no love for unions in this country ...

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=5183

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=4936

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=4924

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=5095

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=4397

and on immigrants ..

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=1494

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=4898

http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=4777

Data makes a valid point here regarding the ILLEGAL crossings. First of all, there is no such thing as an "Illegal Immigrant". Where that term came from is beyond me, probably the Clinton administration. You are either an ILLEGAL ALIEN or you are an immigrant (legal). This I can agree with.

Anyways, back to CCTV talk.....How about you guys tell me what features you want to see in a PC based DVR software package? I have 4 full-time (non-union) developers that are growing impatient and need some challenging work so i can justify those pricey salaries and benefits.

scottj

if you are a good worker, there is no need to join a union, as you will always be able to get a job. If you own a business, then a union means very little.

he he he, just to keep it going ... yes very corupt here .. no doubt about that ..

There are many immigrants that enter the US legally. The way the law use to work, may have changed since 9/11, is you can actually enter the US (legally) for vacation for example, then apply to the INS. Once your application is being processed, you can legally stay there beyond the 6 months (if that is what is still is) until the INS contacts you. This is I believe though, how many of the 9/11 terrorists happened to be there, so maybe it has changed now.

Anyway, once INS doesnt approve the visa then if the immigrant doesnt leave, then they are there illegally .. an alien? we is got plenty of dem ere dred ..

Edited by Guest

Data makes a valid point here regarding the ILLEGAL crossings. First of all, there is no such thing as an "Illegal Immigrant". Where that term came from is beyond me, probably the Clinton administration. You are either an ILLEGAL ALIEN or you are an immigrant (legal). This I can agree with.

Anyways, back to CCTV talk.....How about you guys tell me what features you want to see in a PC based DVR software package? I have 4 full-time (non-union) developers that are growing impatient and need some challenging work so i can justify those pricey salaries and benefits.

scottj

scott maybe i should go a 150' pole climbing vacation to long island .. i could stay in some union housing