bpzle

Outdoor wireless water

I've got a few ideas, but thought maybe someone else has been there and done that, maybe learned a few lessons I don't have to.

I have a client that lives in a rural area, who's only entrance is a road prone to flooding. He'd like an advanced warning of high water level. This road is aprx 1000' away (have not completed site survey yet). He originally thought of cameras, which we'll install regardless... but I was thinking a better, more proactive and instantaneous alert of high water... Not something he'd have to anticipate and be watching on a screen somewhere. I thought of water sensors... pretty common for basements, around water heaters and pumps. However what I'm looking for would be wireless, and be designed for outdoors.

I thought of ridding something up from Inovonics and Winland... Or I could do something real simple like an irrigation rain sensor. I'd just have to do a little rigging on this and prevent it from triggering with rain and only rising flood water.

I just need something to wirelessly transmit a NO/ NC signal to the DVR, which will text message the client.

Any better ideas? Still researching...

How about something like a pool alarm, the kind of thing designed to alert you if a kid falls into the pool? Most would necessarily be wireless.

Here's one example (from a google search): http://www.safetyturtle.com/pool-safety-products/index.html

A Safety Turtle Wireless Alert system consists of one or more Base Station receivers and an unlimited number of radio sensors. The sensors may be of different types, immersion, gate, panic, but must be the same color to work with the same Base Station. Any sensor type can initiate alarming at the Base Station.

An immersion sensor is what you'd want - put it on a post or something in the flood-prone area and it should trigger once it's immersed.

I also googled "wireless outdoor high water alarm" and found these:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-832-rwt6fw43300a-rokonet-wireless-flood-sensor.aspx?affiliateid=10054&zmam=55691497&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=RWT6FW43300A

The wireless flood detector is a fully supervised detector used to detect the presence of water based liquids at any desired location such as basements or water tanks.

The detector is comprised from 2 parts: Wireless transmitter and flood sensor which are connected by 7 feet cable.

The detector operates with Rokonet's programmable wireless receivers.

http://www.diycontrols.com/p-6212-wisdom-flood-sensor-wireless-water-sensor.aspx?affiliateid=10055

Wireless Flood/Water Detector for WisDom Wireless Security System

Protect your home from costly water damage!

The Wireless Flood Detector provides an alarm in case of flooding above the sensor level.

Digital Microprocessor with Intelligent Digital Signal Processing

2.5m cable between flood sensor and wireless transmitter

Includes 3V long life lithium battery

Fully supervised

Cover & Back Tamper protection

I've got a few ideas, but thought maybe someone else has been there and done that, maybe learned a few lessons I don't have to.

I have a client that lives in a rural area, who's only entrance is a road prone to flooding. He'd like an advanced warning of high water level. This road is aprx 1000' away (have not completed site survey yet). He originally thought of cameras, which we'll install regardless... but I was thinking a better, more proactive and instantaneous alert of high water... Not something he'd have to anticipate and be watching on a screen somewhere. I thought of water sensors... pretty common for basements, around water heaters and pumps. However what I'm looking for would be wireless, and be designed for outdoors.

I thought of ridding something up from Inovonics and Winland... Or I could do something real simple like an irrigation rain sensor. I'd just have to do a little rigging on this and prevent it from triggering with rain and only rising flood water.

I just need something to wirelessly transmit a NO/ NC signal to the DVR, which will text message the client.

Any better ideas? Still researching...

We have several customers in the Fredericksburg, TX areas that road flooding is normal way of life.

Waterbugs powered by Solar and Inovonics (great stuffs - all of our banks wireless panic, optex wirless PE beams...are supervised by Inovonics.) We simply mount them on the Outer Fence Posts. 5 years, later, if they drive through water, we would have heard from them.

We have several customers in the Fredericksburg, TX areas that road flooding is normal way of life.

Waterbugs powered by Solar and Inovonics (great stuffs - all of our banks wireless panic, optex wirless PE beams...are supervised by Inovonics.) We simply mount them on the Outer Fence Posts. 5 years, later, if they drive through water, we would have heard from them.

Awesome! Looks like I was on the right track.... What did you use for solar? How did you house the electronics?