RexLan

How to connect to DVR through the serial port

I have a Dedicated Micro D4 DVR and want to connect my PC to the unit via serial port but can't get hyper terminal to connect to it.

How to do this please?

Also, I have a router and the DVR on one address and my PC on another. Can I connect to the D4 using a FTP program and how do I get in ... passwords or something?

Thanks much

Edited by Guest

Not knowing exactly what a "D4" is (brand? full model number?), I can generally state that a serial port on a DVR is usually designed for output only, to control cameras and other devices through RS-232/485... or it may not be a serial port at all, but simply alarm inputs or outputs. Even if it does accept input, the DVR itself would still need to be running an appropriate terminal service.

As for ftp - same thing, the DVR would need to be running an ftpd service in the first place. I've not yet seen one that does this (although to be fair, I rarely deal with standalone units).

I updated the information .. it is a Dedicated Micro D4 DVR.

It has two serial ports than can communicate but DM will not tell you how and none of the information I have found works.

I can FTP to the box but only using DM's FTP program so I do not have their password/etc.

DM's tech support sort of sucks and they are not helpful ... last one I will buy or install for sure. They do not tell the truth and then when you tell them what you know they admit they didn't and tell you they can help you. Stock answer is return to them ... $400 for a $45 HDD is pretty crummy.

Thanks

Well I see from the photos on the DM site, it looks like both ports are DTE, which means IF the ports are intended to allow remote access (still not convinced they area), you need to use a "null modem" (crossover) cable to connect to it - in short, you need to cross pins 2 and 3 between them (pin 2 on the PC goes to pin 3 on the DVR, and vice-versa).

As for the ftp thing, it wouldn't be hard to get the login and password - set up your own ftp server (lots of freeware ones out there) and point DM's FTP client at that: the ftpd's logs should show the login info.

From the user manual:

Connecting Telemetry Cameras

D4 supports serial telemetry, the brand of telemetry must be set in the ‘System

Options’ menu.

Serial Telemetry

D4 currently supports a number of domes using serial telemetry.

Serial telemetry requires a twisted-pair connection from the D4’s serial port to

the dome. Serial telemetry can be star configured – from the D4 serial port to

each receiver, or delta configured – each receiver daisy chained together, or a

combination of the two. Each receiver needs to be addressed according to its

camera number – consult your receiver documentation for details.

Control of the telemetry is via an external keyboard connected to the D4

(DM/KBS3).

Anyway, use the network port to connect to it!

Okay, the Setup Guide FINALLY finished downloading... here's what it's got:

SERIAL 1 – 9-way (Male) D-type RS-232 serial port (PPP modem).

SERIAL 2 – 9-way (Male) D-type RS-232/RS485 serial port (Telemetry).

Reading on through the setup instructions, it appears SERIAL 1 is designed ONLY for use with a modem to make a dialup internet connection... and SERIAL 2 is designed ONLY for use with PTZ cameras and other such devices to be controlled by the DVR. There's nothing to indicate either will work to allow terminal access to the machine.

Thanks very much for the replies. Well, I'm stumped then. The unit says to use the monitor to format the HDD's but there is no way to get to it to have it done.

I do not know how to use the FTP stuff very well. I have FileZilla but the D$ upgrade has it's own FTP.exe file you use. I tried to attach it here but it is 300KB and not allowed. I tried all of my D4 passwords but none work so it has a special one.

I have done a FAT32 format on the drives with the PC but the problem is how the D4 writes the video files. It appears to be looking for precisely a 163 MB HDD. Otherwise the files are not properly indexed and in 12 hours they are corrupt.

The original HDD is a Maxtor 160 GB. I tired a 320 GB and then bought two new Western Digital 160 GB but they are true 160 and they did not work either .... bad deal and a lot of $$ shot!