fcaw11

VGA box camera recommendations?

I have a client requiring two box cameras for outdoor use.

Camera 1 - 15ft above ground level 17 feet from main entrance, pointing south.

Camera 2 - 15ft above ground level, 20 feet from rear exit, pointing east.

They have an existing standalone DVR.

must be at least 520TVL

must be analog

must be color

Thanks in advance.

I have a client requiring two box cameras for outdoor use.

Do you (or he) have enclosures in mind for these? I'm not aware of any box cameras that are suitable for outdoor use without being in environmental housings.

Camera 1 - 15ft above ground level 17 feet from main entrance, pointing south.

Camera 2 - 15ft above ground level, 20 feet from rear exit, pointing east.

Doesn't mean anything without knowing what they need to cover - ie. how much area, field of view, width of the entrance/exit area, etc. How much detail is needed - ability to identify faces, license plates, nose hairs...? Are these vehicle entrances, personnel entrances? How are lighting conditions - do they need to be able to see at night? Is there much ambient light? With south and east facing, will backlighting be an issue?

If the exit camera is intended to identify people leaving, shouldn't it be mounted directly above the exit, looking west, so you're not looking at the backs of their heads?

must be at least 520TVL

must be analog

must be color

Well that narrows it down from thousands of options to only hundreds

Thanks,

All great questions.

Environmental housing will be used. Both cameras point to a entrance/exit to an motel. The metal door swing open away from the camera. Field of view would be from door to street, entire sidewalk, 12ft wide. There is ambient light all day. Night viewing is required, low lux and/or IR needed. Backlighting maybe an issue for the east facing camera.

Doesn't look like either position will require over a 9mm lens, from my calculations. Are you set on box cams in housings, or are domes acceptable? Take a look at the CNB VCM-24VF domes - excellent in low light, good in mild backlighting, 2.8-10.5mm varifocal lens, true day/night, 600TVL, vandal-resistant domes.

If the customer is set on box cams in housings, there's also the BBM-24F, which is pretty much the same specs in a box enclosure.

You realize, BTW, that these cameras will be aimed on almost a 45-degree angle to the ground and as such may not be ideal for capturing facial features...?

Have you installed/used the CNB-BBM-24F or VCM-24VF? CNB HQ is local to me here in Los Angeles.

We use the VCM-24vf *extensively*. Except when the customer specs something else, it's our analog camera of choice.

Do a quick browse of the board, you'll see the CNB Mona Lisa line is pretty popular with most of the members here as well

Thank you very much Soundy. Are the VCM-24F ok for outdoor use? The spec sheet doesn't have a IP6x rating for weather/moisture.

Soundy,

The VBM-24VF's are also suitable for outdoor use, right? The only difference is that the VCM comes with a flush mount in addition to the surface mount?

Thanks