Dixon01

DVR compatible with Mac and iPad viewing

I have a camera system at my home. The cameras are ok, but not great (540 lines and 18 IRs). Look reasonably good in daylight, but a bit too narrow in their night view. I may upgrade them eventually, but for now I am just looking for a decent DVR (8 channel) to pair them with. My house is already wired to feed the signal to all the TVs in the house, so local viewing is easy when we want to see it. I would like to be able to view the cameras (at a minimum one at a time and selectable) on a Mac, on an iPad and on iphone and/or blackberry.

While I realize they are not top shelf, the Lorex DVRs look like they allow this type of viewing. The Edge models looks perfect, except it doesn't have basic BNC video out (only VGA--what planet are these guys on?), which I need to feed the signal to my TVs. The Edge + appears to have a composite video (yellow) output, but no mention is made of it even in the manual, so who knows. The Lorex Link model looks like it might also work, although likely at a lower pic quality.

Budget-wise I'd like to keep it under $600-700, but would consider a bit more if functionality was significantly upgraded.

The primary purpose is to keep an eye on the house, both when home and when away.

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance.

While I realize they are not top shelf, the Lorex DVRs look like they allow this type of viewing. The Edge models looks perfect, except it doesn't have basic BNC video out (only VGA--what planet are these guys on?)...

That would Planet 2009, where LCD VGA monitors are dirt-cheap and way better resolution than composite, where 99% of people just sit in front of the DVR to view it and wouldn't even think of connecting it to their TVs, even if they did know how

which I need to feed the signal to my TVs.

Why not just a VGA splitter and some VGA-over-UTP baluns and replace your coax with Cat5e and upgrade any TVs that don't have VGA inputs to ones that do? Come on, this ain't rocket surgery!

I was looking at VGA splitters, but for reasons involving other technology in the house, all my TV cat5 runs go to another location in the house--whereas the camera wires all feed to a different media closet. I am all for using a VGA monitor, but find it strange that a product would not offer another output so that there are multiple connection options.

In any event, I am perfectly happy with the camera pic on the TVs (we just use the TV viewing option to monitor the kids and to see who is at the front door, etc). They serve exactly the purpose they were designed for. Now I am focused on improving the performance via computer and smart phone applications.

I just need to solve my Mac/iPad viewing issue.

Are you saying that the Lorex is a good option if I can solve my connection issues, or did you just want to bust my chops

I am all for using a VGA monitor, but find it strange that a product would not offer another output so that there are multiple connection options.

Well, that's the difference between a "cheap" DVR and... well... a not-cheap one: you get what you pay for. Again, NOT having a composite/spot output is going to be fine for probably 90% of the people in that market segment anyway, so if they can leave it off and sell some more units by knocking $20 off the price... why not?

I just need to solve my Mac/iPad viewing issue.

Are you saying that the Lorex is a good option if I can solve my connection issues, or did you just want to bust my chops

I have no opinion on Lorex. Never used one, never seen one in person. They look like standard cheap offshore stuff, and again, in this business, you really do get what you pay for.

Edit: honestly... even the Vigil systems we install (MSRPs ranging from $2500 to $10,000) have two composite outs, one that's just a switched feed from one analog input, one that's a software-multiplexed output to display multiple cameras, including a mix of analog and IP. And probably 85% of the time, we don't use either.

Thx

I only need composite for the TV viewing. But for that I'd be less fussed about it and maybe not miss it. My ideal DVR would have composite, VGA and HDMI outputs.

Appreciate the input. Hopefully others have some experience with Lorex, or another model that works well with the Apple products.

My ideal DVR would have composite, VGA and HDMI outputs.

Like this?

media.nl?id=966&c=405831&h=ff3835cb5a52ac93a1d7

Intellicam DVR .. its only D1 record on one channel though, CIF on all the rest.

http://www.genivtechnology.com/s.nl/it.A/id.518/.f

They have more expensive units though that do the D1 on all channels:

http://www.genivtechnology.com/products-one/category-two/G4-RTAHD-D1

Like Lorex this is manufactured in Asia and OEMd to companies in the US to resell under their names, so you may find it sold under other names also. Ive used that slimline in a 16 channel model from another OEM in the US and it had great HDMI live video .. the CIF recording was not great though. Didnt get to use any of their higher end models though.

I cant say whether it has software that works on mac either, ive seen them claim iphone software though on various retail websites.

Lorex is very cheap though, even though it doesnt look that way on the retail sites, ive used similar DVRs to them and the quality can be terrible, though cant say for sure how the Lorex is. H.264 compression in a cheap DVR is not always a plus.

Thing with cheap DVRs especially 4 channel units is that its the manufacturers ultimate budget line so they will spend as less on it as possible and that means less features and or features that dont work too well.

The gen4/Intellicam units do have an iphone (as well as android) app and it works great.

I think they offer great bang for the buck and have vga, hdmi and composite out.

bricor--do you have one of their DVRs? If so, which one?

It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but the Enterprise version is very tempting if the recorded video looks that good on all channels. The consumer model (w D1 on one recorded channel) looks like a great bargain if the other three channels are at least decent when recorded.

My fear of stepping up to the Enterpirse model is that this seems to be a somewhat "suspect" company--name changes, no local contact/address info on website etc. I worry that there would be zero support or that they may just disappear (along with their iphone app) someday.

Are people on this forum familiar with the company, and are they "for real"?

the one i used had amazing movie like live quality over the HDMI .. and that was the slimline one.

I think it was a 32" LCD though. It was a model from another OEM though.

Intellicam has been around along time.

Ok. Thx.

Any particular retailers you'd recommend for purchasing the Gen IV DVR? I am not familiar with all these "spy" stores.

Again, thanks for the input. Very helpful.

I havent bought one of the actual Intellicam units yet so perhaps someone who has can PM you .. not allowed any store links in the forum per the rules .. id like to know also though so PM me when you get it all up and running or least post the results here please

i located the actual manufacturer of these before but dont recall their name at this time, its from Asia though as usual

Also this is another OEM that sells the same models .. as far as I know ..

http://www.xtsvideo.com/listProducts.aspx?subCategoryId=15

this is the one I tried actually .. I believe they are a fairly new company .. no idea where to buy them from though so you might have to contact them to find out. They only sell to dealers as far as I know, similar to Intellicam. Intellicam is a more well known name though and been around alot longer.

Nuvico Apex or Apex Lite should work for your requirements. Not so cheap though.

The others are from Asia as rory mentioned. China to be exact.

bricor--do you have one of their DVRs? If so, which one?

It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but the Enterprise version is very tempting if the recorded video looks that good on all channels. The consumer model (w D1 on one recorded channel) looks like a great bargain if the other three channels are at least decent when recorded.

My fear of stepping up to the Enterpirse model is that this seems to be a somewhat "suspect" company--name changes, no local contact/address info on website etc. I worry that there would be zero support or that they may just disappear (along with their iphone app) someday.

Are people on this forum familiar with the company, and are they "for real"?

I have a 16 channel G4-XLA model. I have no complaints for what it is and what it cost.

Support has been good, they have a 800 number with service tech's here in the US to help out.

I got set up as a dealer with them but don't do a whole lot of CCTV stuff (mainly a/v). If I can help out, let me know.

Been looking at these some more and close to buying.

Do any of you have any info/experience with WattWire, who sells through a website call

securitycamera1 dot com [avoiding link pursuant to rules]

Thanks again for all the replies and assistance.

Check out Zmodo DVR's, I have installed several in the past month, they work great, and are very inexpensive($170.00) for a 4ch 500GB, remote viewable, iPhone compatible. Supports DDNS or static ip as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am really leaning toward the Gen IV unit--just hard to locate a storefront/online store where I have some confidence in who I am dealing with (due to my own lack of experience with these types of products, not due to any fault of the stores--I just don't know who is legit).

Thanks for all the replies. This was very helpful in narrowing down my choice.

There are a couple of ways you can go when it comes to using Apple products. Dedicated Micros has had this capability for quite some time. but you will need an app from the iTunes store for viewing the app that they recommend is mobileipcamviewer made by Mobideos @ http://www.mobileipcamviewer.com which is not free. I have heard of one called VPon that is free but I have not tried it out. NOTE: DM is coming out with there own app soon.

the DVR that I would recommend near your price range from DM is http://dedicatedmicrosinc.com/?id=249

Another manufacturer is Digital Watchdog but the only have a 2 year warranty not including drives DM's is 3 years including drives.

I don't wanna knock you but, Lorex just isn't well know for quality. DM and DW are pro grade. DM invented the DVR and has been round for over 28 years.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I wrote off the Lorex idea pretty quickly.

I am drawn to the HD recording of the Gen IV unit if I can find a good place to source it, although maybe that is overkill for my purposes. In any event, always appreciate more options to consider.

I have a zmodo dvr, and it keeps freezing on me, and the tech support guys can't figure out why. They are giving me the run around now. Any ideas on how to get it to work? The active x settings were changed according to the instructions in the manual. Playback and streaming live freezes after 30 seconds, sometimes five minutes later. Rarely it will work up to an hour.

I have a zmodo dvr, and it keeps freezing on me, and the tech support guys can't figure out why. They are giving me the run around now. Any ideas on how to get it to work? The active x settings were changed according to the instructions in the manual. Playback and streaming live freezes after 30 seconds, sometimes five minutes later. Rarely it will work up to an hour.

This is for networked video only right?

Have you tried the desktop software?

Looks like they sell alot of different units, which model is it?