brownleaf

remote viewing with no router

Is this possible? Have tried everything and nothing works.,setting fixed IP`S, etc according to manual and what I`ve read here. BTW, have a everfocus 9ch edvr.

Sure, I did it without routers for years before they became popular.

Use all static IP info the ISP gives you .. also Subnet, Gateway and DNS.

I used it with Cable Internet though, never DSL.

Make sure your ISP isnt blocking the ports though.

rory is right, it is possible but make sure your DVR is also capable. Try exploring the device first but I'm assuming that most DVR's today have that capability. Nice huh?!

Man, this is tough, been working on this for days, no luck. Does anyone know of a tech in Charleston, SC that could do this?? Thanks.....

Have you talked to your ISP? Our DSL provider around here is set up so when you first connect a new device, it's given a "private" IP that lets you connect to their "customer service" site, where you register the device's MAC address, and then get a "public" IP so you can connect to the 'net. This may be the case with your setup as well.

yeah down here I think its like that too, most the DSL customers here share the same public IP address. I dont use DSL here though as its too slow in our case.

Is your DVR plugged directly into the modem? Is it the only device plugged into the modem?

If you're using a switch/ hub without a router this will not work.

You must have a router to "route" or more like forward the ports to the appropriate local IP.

If the DVR is the only thing plugged into your modem this will work but your DVR must be setup for DHCP as it will be getting a WAN IP from your ISP. You will not have a local IP address. This is most likely dynamic so in that case your DVR must support DDNS for when your ISP changes the lease on your IP address. That can and will happen frequently. Using DDNS will allow you to punch in "userdefined.ddns.org" or whatever to be directed to your DVR, regardless of the ever changing IP address issued by your ISP.

The last thing you should check is to make sure your ISP is not blocking specific ports. This is very commom, esp port 80.

Clear as mud?

Is your DVR plugged directly into the modem? Is it the only device plugged into the modem?

Not necessarily correct. It depends on your ISP and how many IPs they give you. With mine, I can plug three devices into a switch and into the cable modem, and each will get a unique "outside" IP.

The last thing you should check is to make sure your ISP is not blocking specific ports. This is very commom, esp port 80.

This is always a concern... I find this is more common with DSL.

Clear as mud?

Always

Not necessarily correct. It depends on your ISP and how many IPs they give you. With mine, I can plug three devices into a switch and into the cable modem, and each will get a unique "outside" IP.

Yeah thats correct, back in the day before routers I had a client that had to buy 2 IPs from the ISP to use the switch for 2 computers/dvrs. Honestly though it was maybe 10 years ago so I cant really remember all the details ... I think they had a DVR they wanted online, and then a Computer also .. and access to the DVR. Routers came about and made everything so much easier and then ofcourse DDNS servers also

DDNS servers have been around forever, we used to use one with a dialup connection some... oh, 16 years ago. They've only become popular - and thus plentiful and painless - more recently.

Yeah thats correct, back in the day before routers I had a client that had to buy 2 IPs from the ISP to use the switch for 2 computers/dvrs.

This is true. Way back when I remember we had to buy 2 IPs from the ISP. For each additional IP it was like $5... But now that routers are so cheap, not sure why anyone would want to do that...

This is true. Way back when I remember we had to buy 2 IPs from the ISP. For each additional IP it was like $5... But now that routers are so cheap, not sure why anyone would want to do that...

I recall when we first used a router and we still had to hide it from the ISP .. at the time they werent into that .. they were the only broadband in the country so if they cut you off then its back to dial up ..

I run my own mail and web server on my broadband. Sometimes I have to build another server and run it for a while at home. It's handy to have a second IP in that case, since it's not possible for a router to forward the same port to two machines. It's also handy sometimes to be able to expose a machine directly to the 'net for testing (DMZ doesn't really do the same thing).