SEANHAWG

Vintage Camera

I got this on one the loads of equipment that we received from one of the retailers that we contract with. I think they used this thing to look over their Atari section back in the day:

132818_1.jpg

132818_2.jpg

WOW! Direct AC plug.

Why in the world do they have an on/off switch on the back? Not very secure...

And they used F connectors?

I guess I'm too young to know this is how it was done.

I am too.

The connector is actually fatter than a normal F connector. I have never seen one like it. This was probably top of the line back in the day.

It's also known as a PL-259 connector. In all likelihood, considering the size of the camera, the connector and its 110VAC power, the sensor is a Vidicon tube versus modern CCD and CMOS solid-state sensors. Vidicons were notorious for having longevity and image burn-in issues.

It's also known as a PL-259 connector. In all likelihood, considering the size of the camera, the connector and its 110VAC power, the sensor is a Vidicon tube versus modern CCD and CMOS solid-state sensors. Vidicons were notorious for having longevity and image burn-in issues.

Exactly right. I bet if you power it up you can still see the image it was used to look at.

The 110V input doesn't necessarily indicate anything - I have, sitting in a box somewhere, still working (although dim), a variant of something like a Panasonic BP214 with a grounded line cord coming out the back...

Yes, but the PL-259 connector pretty much disappeared from CCTV cameras before the advent of solid state imagers. Also, look at the two holes on the top rear of the camera. I believe they say "focus" and "beam". Those are adjustments only found on tube-type cctv cameras.

Oooo, good eye!

I haven't even SEEN a tube camera since I worked with Plumbicon broadcast cameras in post-secondary training

Yes, most CCTV cameras built in the 60's through the 80's used tube sensors. Mostly Vidicon our so-called Newvicon tubes. As did early TV cameras; including home video cameras.

They were notorious for burning out if aimed at the sun; or even bright lights. When I first started in this field, one of the continuing maintenance items associated with CCTV systems was replacing the pickup tubes in the cameras. They would get weak and the video would get all washed out or go totally black. Also, they tended to get heavy burn-in.

^This is also why you see the big streaks/trailers when the cameras panned past the studio lights on old TV shows (particularly things like game shows that went straight to tape).

The first thing they taught us with using the broadcast cameras was to ALWAYS lock down the tilt when leaving the camera, lest it tip up and aim into the bright studio lights.

Awesome! How is that camera? Does it still work? It's too big and bulky, and why does it have an on/off switch? but yeah cool huh.

Awesome! How is that camera? Does it still work? It's too big and bulky, and why does it have an on/off switch? but yeah cool huh.
Seanhawg - a potential customer!

Yeah, I know how vintage products are in style nowadays. Let me get a value from the Antiques Road Show and get back to you with a price.