Soundy

CNB VCM-24VF vs. VBM-24VF

There seems to often be confusion between the VBM and VCM housings, and the pictures on CNB's site don't really show the "flush" style and the actual design of the back-box for the VCM dome... so I snapped a few!

SNC00720.jpg.e5c025f1c463bd43cb04d25416700a38.jpg

SNC00758.jpg.9243fce4f6fa4a23b28223d870ddd034.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yeah it is handy for the connections, Ive used that base on a couple other CNB models. One issue I have with the VBM is just that, it would not be so bad if the cable was not so short .. trying to put it into gang box, the gang box has to be right there next to it almost, unless we splice it then extend using another cable. So basically if you're going to put it outside and there is no attic or ceiling for the connection, cheaper to get the VCM one time. It might look a little bigger and stick out some more, but so does that extra gang box, and this is only one part to deal with.

And for others incase you are like me and dont read the manual first .. before you try to look for the non existing + and - on the green connector and start scratching your head, the polarity is non polarized for the dual voltage model meaning the power can go either way, for 12VDC power also.

Regarding the 1/2" hole in the bottom of the back-box - there is very little clearance between this hole and the back of the camera. A nipple in that hole which protrudes into the back box itself will wind up putting a serious pinch on the camera leads, assuming the leads are being run into that nipple.

Standard electrical nipples need to be trimmed (shortened on one end) to allow the needed clearance.

...or just use a spacer between the nipple and the box.

Edit: actually... no spacer or trimming required, the camera protrusion doesn't even cover half the hole... lots of room for wires to come through beside it.

SNC00759.jpg.33e34145311042c4f091e93f315ef106.jpg

Looks like that's what it's designed for.

The second picture is a VBM style (V1000 series),

133651_1.jpg

The third picture is a VCM (V2000 series) without the back-box.

133651_2.jpg

Personally, I just attach them straight to the wall with the back-box.

im having someone order some wall mounts, though the US sites dont carry the models on the CNB sites, it seems to be an older model, will see how they work out. The good thing about them is the dome is then not directly hit by the rain at least from above, so it should not get quite as dirty or hit as hard, it kind of protects it some more. BTW the ceiling mount VBM dome looks like it is actually smaller when mounted than the flush mount option, but the flush serves too purposes. My only question with the wall mounts was if there was room in that to make the connections, seems there is, guess will see when they arrive.

Maybe you guys can help, I mounted some VBM-24VF's under the eave on the exterior of a business (it's a daycare and built much like a home).

I need to lower the camera 2-3" to clear the trim of the eave.

I was hoping CNB had a spacer but I can't find anything that looks like it would work.

Any ideas? Can the pipe be shortened on the pendant mount? It looks like a standard 1.5" NPT pipe but I've never used one so not sure.

I can swap them out for the VCM if using the surface mount adapter will get me another 2-3".

There seems to often be confusion between the VBM and VCM housings, and the pictures on CNB's site don't really show the "flush" style and the actual design of the back-box for the VCM dome... so I snapped a few!

[attachment=1]SNC00720.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]SNC00758.jpg[/attachment]

Soundy,

Can you confirm the height of the VCM with the surface mount adapter (the first pic)?

Soundy,

Can you confirm the height of the VCM with the surface mount adapter (the first pic)?

I have the 2 camera housings in my garage, will take some photos a little later tonight.

One is a VBM-24VF and the other is not the VCM-24VF but it is still the same housing.

One question regarding power, I received my VCM-24VF today, this camera can use either 12 or 24 volts? My voltage box is for 12 volts, do I need to do something especial or can i connect the 12 volt cables right on the green connector? The reason I am asking is because the instructions seem to state they get wired differently for 12 volts.

Thanks

Its non polarized, so you can connect the red and black either way to the green connector. I made the mistake with the first camera as I was in a rush and could not find a + and - on the green connector, and just cut the cable and joined it together, but after reading the manual more carefully it states its non polarized and hooked the other 2 up to the green connectors.

That said I am using the VBM not the VCM but it should be the same, as was the other CNB IR Dome I have here.

Well got it to work, as it turns the first camera I pulled out to install is a factory dud When i plug power to it the lens opens and then closes bu no picture comes out of it. The second camera was fine, have to check the other three tomorrow.

Can you access the OSD at all using the button?

Or is it completely dead?

I can access the OSD.

Go into each sub menu, and the top menu, and set each initial, thats the defaults.

incase someone messed with it.

Or check the iris levels and brightness etc.

Its non polarized, so you can connect the red and black either way to the green connector. I made the mistake with the first camera as I was in a rush and could not find a + and - on the green connector, and just cut the cable and joined it together, but after reading the manual more carefully it states its non polarized and hooked the other 2 up to the green connectors.

That said I am using the VBM not the VCM but it should be the same, as was the other CNB IR Dome I have here.

Thank you for that. I just received a couple of DBM-24VF cameras and they have the same green connector. Manual says non polarized. I'd imagine it's the same manual included with the VCM and VBM as they show installation instructions for several different camera styles. No specific model # is mentioned.

CNB getting lots of free advertising from this forum LOL.

But they do have a decent product at a lower cost.

Also, I wish they would hurry up and get the Blue-i domes and true day night monalisa bullets in the US ..

a blue-i bullet would be nice too

Can you access the OSD at all using the button?

Or is it completely dead?

I can access the OSD.

Interesting... I had a couple of these just recently. One seemed to be a problem with the iris not opening up, the other was an iffy connection in the cable bundle between the camera board and the processing board behind it.

Both have been returned to the distributor now...

I have had 3 out of my 4 CNB's go bad over less than a year. Guess I got a bad batch or QC is lacking.

How are they all powered? Was everything on power protection?

18ch power supply with individual fuses. Failures occurred at different times and were likely defects. One camera went gray screen, another is stuck in b/w and another does not change over to color once in b/w without power cycle. CNB has been good on warranty service/repair, but it is a pain to pay shipping and remove the camera and set up the new ones.