gingermonkey

Probably Yet Another Question Regarding IP vs Analogue

Hi,

I've spent a few hours trawling through old threads trying to answer a question. However, the more I read, the more I'm getting confused.

Firstly, I appologise if I use the wrong or confused teminology.

I posted a question regarding the disappointing performance of my existing system in the general discussion area. It would seem that my DVR cards are fault (non-branded). I am thinking about scraping enough money together to buy a suitable Geovision DVR card. However, reading the forum I'm not sure if I should go down the IP route.

With this in mind I wondered if someone could answer some questions to help me decide.

I'm after a system to run 5 or 6 domestic cameras. Image quality is my highest priority rather than frame rate. All the cameras are within 40 feet of the PC that I currently use to record the data. Four cameras are used outside and one inside.

My questions (sorry about this, I've only just joined the forum and done nothing but ask questions!):

Would an IP system offer much better quality images compared to a Geovision based analogue system with reasonable quality box cameras?

Would I be able to run an IP system from a PC without needing extra peripherals (other than a suitable card)?

Can I run digital and anlogue cameras on one system (allowing for a progressive change-over to IP)?

And the big questions, how much is it likely to cost me to:

a. Buy a Geovision DVR to run 5 or 6 domestic cameras at a high quality (I've looked at several retail sites but can't work out what spec I need)

b. Start over and go the IP route

c. Buy something that will allow me to run both IP and analgue

I would appreciate your advice and any pointers to avoid any unforseen pit-falls

Many Thanks,

GM

Here are my 2 cents since I eat and breathe ip cameras everyday.

Would an IP system offer much better quality images compared to a Geovision based analogue system with reasonable quality box cameras?

540TVL is 540TVL in analog or ip cameras. IP cameras are great if you are getting megapixel cameras. A decent megapixel will cost at least $600 wholesale.

Would I be able to run an IP system from a PC without needing extra peripherals (other than a suitable card)?

No card needed. You need software license for the 6 cameras and at least a quad core intel processor.

Can I run digital and anlogue cameras on one system (allowing for a progressive change-over to IP)?

Yes you can. You just have to find the software that can do both.

a. Buy a Geovision DVR to run 5 or 6 domestic cameras at a high quality (I've looked at several retail sites but can't work out what spec I need)

I recently did a system for a 7-11 with Geovision card. Since cctv was not her fulltime job, she hated the user interface. In comparison, I used NUUO for other clients and they loved it.

IP cameras will cost at least $600 each. If you dont have a strong CPU, prepare to spend cash on that along with the recording software.

Unless you are trying to capture license plates from 100 feet away or faces from 200' away stick with analog cameras with DNR. Get a nice H.264 card that gives you D1 resolution.

I'm after a system to run 5 or 6 domestic cameras. Image quality is my highest priority rather than frame rate. All the cameras are within 40 feet of the PC that I currently use to record the data. Four cameras are used outside and one inside.

My questions (sorry about this, I've only just joined the forum and done nothing but ask questions!):

First, let's differentiate: IP cameras can be any resolution, including standard 4CIF/D1/VGA resolutions - IP is just a different way to get the signal into the DVR. A VGA IP camera won't necessarily give you any better picture than an analog camera with a quality capture card.

Now that said, IP gives you the capability to run megapixel (MP) cameras; with megapixel, you most certainly get higher resolution than analog... at least four times the resolution VGA = 640x480; 1MP = 1280x960.

Actual image quality is dependent on several other factors, but IN GENERAL, megapixel will be higher quality than analog.

IP does not required ANY additional hardware. If your PC has a network adapter, then all you need is the appropriate software.

Yes. There are a couple ways to do this: run DVR software that supports hybrid operation (recording both by its capture card, and via the network); or get a straight NVR (network video recorder) and use analog-to-IP converters (aka "video servers") on each analog camera.

GeoVision will allow you to do all three. The main cost difference will be analog cameras + capture card, vs. IP cameras + IP licenses (for the GV software).

No card needed. You need software license for the 6 cameras and at least a quad core intel processor.

Not necessarily true. It depends on the number of cameras, the resolution and framerate they run, the codec they use, and to a fair degree, the NVR software used. Some here have built NVRs using Exacq on Atom processors.

IP cameras will cost at least $600 each.

That's a little overstated as well. That's wholesale on an upper-mid-range megapixel, but there's lots available out there for less.

Not necessarily true. It depends on the number of cameras, the resolution and framerate they run, the codec they use, and to a fair degree, the NVR software used. Some here have built NVRs using Exacq on Atom processors.

you do not need quad core processors

The Wire Guys, Chris P and Soundy,

Thank you very much for finding the time to write such comprehensive and clear replies: the muddy waters are clearing!

I'm rushing around to get to work at the moment but will sit down this evening and digest your knowledge, which will invariably result in a few more follow-up questions -

Thanks again (why does boring desk-bound work get in the way of sorting interesting things like this?)

GM

Hello Again,

Having digested (hopefully) the advice given, I think I'll go for a Geovision card to improve the performance of my current analogue setup, whilst looking to change to IP in the future. So would you mind helping me with the following questions please:

What card would you old hands recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune, and I'm only after viewing/recording at 10fps per camera but at high quality.

How do IP cameras actually connect to the PC - my house modem/router only has 4 x RJ45 ports, one of which is hooked up to my CCTV PC. Would I be able to add another router somewhere (hopefully next to the CCTV PC)?

I am trialling Go1984 at the moment which claims to do analogue and IP. I like the HMI as I can adjust many aspects of the motion detection/recording etc. However Geovision is not mentioned in the supported capture cards. Have any of you had experience of this prog working with Geovision cards? If the combination of the card and software is a poor one, would Geovision software offer the same adjustability as Go1984?

Once again, I really appreciate you finding the time to help with my unending stream of questions.

ATB

GM

Thanks, I must admit that I'm being a bit seduced by the Geovision option...

Would an Avermedia solution offer as good quality? And would I be forced to use Avermedia software?

GM