Sign in to follow this  

I need your suggestions regarding alright wireless setup

Alright here is the setup we have 12 PTZ IP cameras and we are going to connect them wirelessly on a Network Video Recorder. Now the farthest PTZ camera is estimated to be 250m. The AP and antennas that we are going to use can reach up to 500m with a power of 18dBi. Now I need your suggestion will the video transmission be smooth or we are going to have tons of problems with it? Like latency, interference, and the environment. The area is an open field. Any of you guys tried an setup a similar case. I asked this question because we are going to use D-Link Access Points and Antennas. I am proposing RadWin but they said it's too expensive. Thank you!

To really answer your question well, we need a lot more details: Is each camera getting it's own wireless transmitter, going back to a central Access Point, what compression/resolution are you using, what framerate you are trying to get, etc...You need to calculate the total bandwidth requirement to see what you will need.

My suggestion for lower cost wireless gear is Ubiquiti's wireless "N" data rate gear, in the 5GHz band (NanoStation Loco M5 at the cameras, Rocket M5 with sector antenna or multiple Bullet M5's with small directional antennas for the AP(s).

Under good conditions, you can get up to 60-80MBPS (per AP)total throughput on that gear.

To really answer your question well, we need a lot more details: Is each camera getting it's own wireless transmitter, going back to a central Access Point, what compression/resolution are you using, what framerate you are trying to get, etc...You need to calculate the total bandwidth requirement to see what you will need.

My suggestion for lower cost wireless gear is Ubiquiti's wireless "N" data rate gear, in the 5GHz band (NanoStation Loco M5 at the cameras, Rocket M5 with sector antenna or multiple Bullet M5's with small directional antennas for the AP(s).

Under good conditions, you can get up to 60-80MBPS (per AP)total throughput on that gear.

Yes they are going to have there own wireless transmitter(AP) since they're IP Cameras. Well the compression method is H.264 or MPEG4 AVC then the framerate will be set to 15 or maybe 10 and the resolution is 702x240(Half or 2CIF). In my calculations the maximum throughput of each camera is 400kBps to 512kBps(if set to the highest settings that the camera can support. I can see each transfer rate to the NVR's utility). We are going to use Samsung NVR and Neti Ware cameras. Currently one of our wireless suppliers said that this setup might fail(and I'm also afraid of that especially when it rains) the supplier was proposing for Alvarion but I prefer RadWin but the cost is extremely high!!!! We are planning of using fiber optic cables but the PTZ cameras are scattered around the perimeter.

Do you have clear line of sight between all PTZ locations, and the projected AP location, and are the cameras surrounding the AP in all directions, or in a single direction that could be addressed with a 90 degree or 120 degree angle sector antenna ?.

Also, be aware of what is referred to as "Fresnel Zone" interference, that basically means that you need a zone around the line of sight between radios to be clear of obstructions (at 250 Meters, and 5GHz band, that's approx. 1.8 meters in diameter at the midpoint.

At those distances and bandwidth requirements, I would think that Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5's at the camera locations, and a Bullet M5 with an omnidirectional antenna should work fine.

Do you have clear line of sight between all PTZ locations, and the projected AP location, and are the cameras surrounding the AP in all directions, or in a single direction that could be addressed with a 90 degree or 120 degree angle sector antenna ?.

Also, be aware of what is referred to as "Fresnel Zone" interference, that basically means that you need a zone around the line of sight between radios to be clear of obstructions (at 250 Meters, and 5GHz band, that's approx. 1.8 meters in diameter at the midpoint.

At those distances and bandwidth requirements, I would think that Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5's at the camera locations, and a Bullet M5 with an omnidirectional antenna should work fine.

We decided to go wired and wireless, all cameras with less than 90mtrs will be connected directly to the switch and the cams that are more than 90mtrs will be connected wireless. The only thing that I hate are the marketing people at the office they told me that I am a being too good for that setup... WTF?! I'm just doing my job... I really hate them can't they visualized that I'm a newbie and I'm just doing everything I can to provid a quick solution. I asked for professional help here at this forum and personally, and yet they say that I'm pretending to be good?! Why are there such kind of people? I asked questions and see comments and other responses I'm not being a know it all kind of person. I hate that dude in the office. I hate that instead of they advise you they even pull you down and give you negative remarks. To be completely honest I feel that those guys doesn't believe in my skills. But hell look at their side they can't even tell what CMS does a particular camera uses. Grrrrrrrrrr........ You know what dude I really appreciate your help. You're being kind and doing it in a nice approach.

In looking at your previous postings, I was thinking that the camera locations were inaccessible for cabling directly. Since then, you indicated that you would be cabling the cameras that were under 100 meters, but not over.

If you are just considering the Ethernet cabling limits, and could get cable to the farther cameras, there are some products to consider over wireless.

Take a look at the Veracity Outreach, http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-and-poe-extension/outreach.aspx , these can extend your Ethernet cabling beyond the 100 meter limit, or look at DSL-type extenders, these can go 1000 meters+ over CAT3 or 5 cable, at high data rates.

In looking at your previous postings, I was thinking that the camera locations were inaccessible for cabling directly. Since then, you indicated that you would be cabling the cameras that were under 100 meters, but not over.

If you are just considering the Ethernet cabling limits, and could get cable to the farther cameras, there are some products to consider over wireless.

Take a look at the Veracity Outreach, http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-and-poe-extension/outreach.aspx , these can extend your Ethernet cabling beyond the 100 meter limit, or look at DSL-type extenders, these can go 1000 meters+ over CAT3 or 5 cable, at high data rates.

I see an ethernet extender that works like a repeater but more than of a repeater its like a switch type repeater. To be honest I am thinking of this one that you suggested a switch like repeater but I don't know the name. Now I'm learning much from you! According to the product documentation it can extend another 100m from the limit. What do you think if I use 3 of this linked together will that work? or for example I will group the locations like 3 cameras connected to a PoE Switch then an extender going to another PoE switch, I'm thinking that it will work. I will upload a related drawing for you and my new design with the extenders applied. By the way I also saw a Ethernet to Coax I was thinking of that may work too but I'm concern about the signal being transmitted incorrectly for data like I'll access the camera built-in utility not working over that kind of extender. What do you think?

Oh by the way I didn't mention that the cameras that we're going to use are PTZ's....