Kablooie

blah, blah, blah, and then... kablooie!

Just a quick background on myself: I am not a security or surveillance system professional. I run a computer services company and install/maintain many point-of-sale systems for my clients. I typically outsource surveillance system requests I receive from my clients (that's may change soon). However, I am involved in the selection of the surveillance system and layout of the cameras (mostly relying on the advice of professionals like yourselves though). My main involvement has been integration with the pos system and networking the DVR to the LAN and Internet for remote viewing and administration. I also provide some loss prevention services to a few clients.

Lately I've been wanting to learn more about the different technologies available in video surveillance systems. Many of my client's systems are getting old (or poor choices were made from the beginning) and will start needing replacement soon. I came across cctvforum.com in my quest for knowledge.....and here I am.

I must give a big thank you to all of the regular contributors here. I've read hundreds of posts over the last few weeks and have learned a great deal from youse guys . I hope to be able to contribute when questions arise within my areas of expertise.

Welcome aboard! The topic of POS integration does come up now and then - we deal with it on a somewhat regular basis. Good to have an expert on board! Look forward to your participation!

Thanks Soundy. I'm by no means an expert in the field of DVR/POS integration, but I do have a bit of experience. Hopefully I can be of help.

I find my biggest challenge is actually figuring out how to get the data OUT of the POS. Getting the DVR or text-overlay box to capture it from there is almost trivial, but a lot of POS systems I've seen have little to no documentation on both output ports, and how to configure them and/or the software to spit out the information you need. Maybe you're more versed in those

And you know what they say: documentation is like sex - when it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it's still better than nothing!

I find my biggest challenge is actually figuring out how to get the data OUT of the POS. Getting the DVR or text-overlay box to capture it from there is almost trivial, but a lot of POS systems I've seen have little to no documentation on both output ports, and how to configure them and/or the software to spit out the information you need. Maybe you're more versed in those

And you know what they say: documentation is like sex - when it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it's still better than nothing!

Completely agree. Here here and all that. I've noticed a lot of the more modern systems (especially scales) seem to have no ability to output to RS232 (which seems to be the standardised form of POS box) I've got one system here I can't do POS integration for as I'd need to set up a separate PC for each scale/register.