suffolkboy

Genie Dome CCTV Cameras

Hi All,

As a rule we dont really fit CCTV but on a job recently we were asked to do it as part as a full wiring of a new property. We were specified a system by a CCTV wholesaler by Genie and consisted of 'vandal resistant' dome cameras. Install was no problem but at night the picture was very white, the suppliers came out and said it was scratches on the lens that is reflecting the IRs. They replaced all the lenes FOC and its now fine. What is concerning me is that the lenses seem to be scratched so easily. Genie says that they must only be cleaned with 'a glasses cleaning cloth or similar' I understand this inside the lens but when they are 'vandal resitant' and for outside use then they are open to people just wiping them over outside the lens when they may have dust on them or similar. Is this right? It seems wrong that they are so 'scratchable' at the slightest thing. Has my customer just been sold cheaper cameras (they were not that cheap in price compared with many others i have seen) or is this just they way all dome lenses are? If so can anyone recommend a dome camera that wont do this as he wants to add to the system and am not confident in steering him back to the genie cameras. Sorry to go on and you lads that install all the time are probably going 'well you should have got someone who knew what they were doing' and are are right but unfortunatley it was all part of a larger job for us.

Any ideas?

Hi mate

I tend to use vista VVRD4V9CM-540 cameras for general installs like this, they are resonably priced and the vandal resistant covers are pretty resilant to most cleaning agents as most service engineers only wipe them over with there hi-vi`s or what ever they have to hand. they have good day night properties and also have a range with built in IR as well worth a look

Good old Genie, I purchase for a large UK monitoring company,We had been using genie cams for approx 7years and have around 1200 of their cameras live as we speak.

Genie seem to be really going down hill on their products.So much so last month I stopped buying anything from them. Im guessing your problem is the quality of the cameras.Im supprised you got someone out to change the lenses as I wait up to 3months for warrenty repairs from them.My new supplier gives me next day advanced replacement.

I had a rep in with the Honeywell AntiVandal dome, will look up model if you need it. I am always dismayed when a rep comes in with an Anti Vandal dome/camera carefully packaged and enclosed in bubble wrap. I would rather see the arrive in a bag of nails or rusty screws myself.....

Anyway back to business, (much to the shock of the rep,he was not expecting my sudden test)the Honeywell dome took 6 good hits with a club hammer and although only workshop tested and 12 of them on site the last few weeks Im impressed and will buy more when Anti Vandal domes are required on our systems.

Good luck

do you mean the LENS or the cover?

I have yet to see a vandal resistant dome or even some other vandal resistant cameras with a cover that does not scratch easily. I believe its the type of glass used (Polycarbonate?) and them not having any anti scratch coating over it. Either way just dont use your fingers and dont use paper towel. Even some tee shirts will scratch it.

I tell my guys to put cling wrap on the lens before they touch it. that way when they set it down it does not get scrached. (I tell them but I doubt they do it when I am not around) I have used the honeywell HD-51 vandle dome and it is fine, brand recogniton and priced well.

Hi Lads, Thanks for the info, they are listed on our spec sheet as GVR65040HIR but cant seem to see that code in our product guide. They are also listed as Hi Res 550TVL V/R Dome V/F AI Lens 30x IR. Its interesting what you say andyscan about their products going downhill, and it was our supplier rep that brought and fitted the new lens/covers not genie themselves which is a good job by the sound of it if they are taking up to three months! The honeywell sounds like a good option then, will look into it. I understand what you are saying rory about not cleaning it with anything and fingers damaging it and we have been told that its because they have to be polycarbonate covers for saftey (fair enough) but there must be a way genie can put an anti-scratch coating on it if other companies can. Think i will just stay clear of them for the other cameras we have to add and look elsewhere. If anyone can send me the code for the honeywells or any others they recommend that would be great. Perhaps the genie rep that i have seen on here would like to try and explain why too!

Thanks again for helping

but there must be a way genie can put an anti-scratch coating on it if other companies can.

Other companies dont, thats the point