* Mechanical IR cut filter

* Auto Iris Lens

* Vandalproof / Weatherproof

The current contestants are:

* Sanyo VDC-D1184VA

* Sony SSC-CD73V

* Nuvico NVCC-HVD

Questions:

* What other cameras should be added to this list?

* What camera would you choose and why?

Dont forget the Pano, has wide dynamic also .. just large and ugly. GE also has an exview day night. Both of these have Ir Cut Filters, but price is much higher than the Sanyo even.

I'll start this off:

Sony: Most expensive, but small size and wide dynamic.

Nuvico: Least expensive.

Sanyo: Only a little less than the Sony, but no wide dynamic.

I've just installed three Sony SSC-73 domes, very satisfied with the results.[/img]

I've just installed three Sony SSC-73 domes, very satisfied with the results.[/img]

Are you using any IR illumination?

Does anyone know if the fixed 4mm lens packaged with the Nuvico NVCC-HVD has an auto iris? Most of the literature I've seen suggests that only the vari-focal lenses have an auto iris.

No micro lenses dont have auto iris. See its the lens that makes it auto iris. The lens does the work, so when you use an Auto Iris lens you can set it to AI/EI, where AI lets the lens do the lighting adjustments, and EI lets the camera do the lighting adjustments. The AI lenses get power from the camera, so there would be a lead going from the lens to the camera. No fixed lenses have this. Alot of todays cameras can do very well though on their own, without an Auto Iris lens.

Rory

I have several fixed focal length lenses that have an auto iris. I don't know about domes (don't have any yet), but there are plenty of standard CS-type cameras that support AI lenses with a fixed focal length.

So why would it be harder to outfit an auto iris on a fixed lens than a vari-focal lens in the Nuvico?

looks like the 4mm fixed lens is a real lens, not a micro lens like fixed lenses on other domes. So looks like it may be Auto Iris on both types of lenses.

Only going by the photo, but normally if it is a micro lens they will say 4mm micro lens - which wouldnt have auto iris. Varifocal lenses also come without auto iris though, such as with the GE domes, they have VF with or without AI. Id get the VF anyway, if its not much more$$

Basically the reason why most domes are either micro or VF, is there is a big difference in price, but the difference in price between a regular fixed and a VF lens is not enough to make a difference, normally. If the 4mm is not auto iris though it would make a difference, so you would need to check with them. Alot of cameras also say auto iris, but it is sometimes just their way of saying electronic iris, to make it look good. Because really its similar anyway, just Ei the camera does the work.

Like I said though, it doesnt make a huge difference, Ive been setting these domes to EI anyway as its just easier, and AI mode makes no difference.

That said, i still dont understand the Domes that much, i prefer the Box cams they are much more straight forward ..

Ok there yah have it, the 4mm is not auto iris while the Varifocal one is ..

The difference price between the 4mm Auto Iris and the Varifocal auto Iris probably wasnt enough for them to make a seperate model. It is also then possible that 4mm Fixed lens could be a micro lens after all, as with most other domes with fixed lenses.

The Kalatel price list had me confused also, with all the different lenses etc, they updated it finally to list whether it was Ai or not .. .. they dont always make the best of sense these manufacturers/reps ..

the Varifocal Lens is going to give a better image.

also see my other post about the provideo dome ..

Rory