nifter53

Simple Question

I usually use nylon anchors, concrete or hollow-wall type, turned on their side, and the camera mounting screw driven through that. Works for pendant and J-mounts as well. Sometimes I'll use a piece of wood, if one is available, but more often than not, the anchors are plentiful and convenient.

i think the latest electrical code calls for a seperate support for cameras mounted in ceiling tiles. Enrico makes a bracket that spans the grid work as well as an aircraft type cable to attach the camera to gridwork. I agree the quickest ways are either fender washers or toggle bolts.

For us, it would depend on the weight of the camera.

We use quite a few Ganz ZC-D series domes. Their weight is right around 1 pound +/-. At that weight, fender washers and #8 x 1-1/2" to 2" machine screws are plenty sufficient, as long as the tiles and grid are in good condition.

I would hesitate to even attempt to surface-mount a Panasonic WV-CW504s, which weighs 3.74 pounds or a Pelco SD423SMB0 PTZ, which weighs around 4.5 pounds, on a ceiling tile. If I did, I would definitely use some type of additional support.

Thanks for the replies. I was 1st thinking about using a 1"x4" board, screwing through the tile, then into the board. The board would be longer than the tile as to span across the metal grid.

Thoughts?

I saw Soundy's post before and I started using wall plugs also .. work out great especially for the indoor domes, havent tried it with vandal domes yet. Ive used wood in the past but well Im not a carpenter so I dont like to cut wood into pieces. Ive used toggle bolts plenty of times also but cost extra and not as easy as a wall plug, even then it cuts into the tile. Also client here dont pay much, so the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way, while still effective, is the best for us.

But yea, wood will work fine.

if you dont cut a hole in the middle though watch how tight you attach it so it doesnt pinch the cable, if its thin cable.

Remember, its just a drop tile, hardly anything secure about it to begin with anyway.

BTW I take the drop tile completely down to work on it.

But I must admit I do more wood ceilings than anything.

Thanks for the replies. I was 1st thinking about using a 1"x4" board, screwing through the tile, then into the board. The board would be longer than the tile as to span across the metal grid.

Thoughts?

Problem with that is that the T-bar sticks up a good 1/4" (depending on the tile type) above the tile itself, so you'll have a gap there where you screw the camera down... and the tile will flex before the board, meaning it will be drawn upward as you tighten the camera down.