Sign in to follow this  

Samsung Network PTZ Protocol and Cisco Smart Switches

I have a good question. Okay here is the set up we have Network PTZ cameras and we are going to connect them using fiber optic switches, we are going to use Cisco Smart Switches to be precise Catalyst Series 2900 with 2x SFP slots. Now my problem is the PTZ Protocol. Will the PTZ signal pass to the Cisco switch? Because someone informed me that Cisco and Pelco has something that they are sort of connected to them and the PTZ function might not work so I am concern about the protocol stuff. Can I control the PTZ function if I am going to use a Cisco switch? We are going to use Samsung Network PTZ cameras.

Thank you again guys!

There should not be any reason that the PTZ control should not work, as long as the network can transmit and receive data transparently from both ends (pretty much any standard network connection should do this, unless specifically configured otherwise).

In the analog PTZ world, control data was carried by a separate set of wires from the video; in the network world, it's all simply data being carried back and forth on one cable.

There should not be any reason that the PTZ control should not work, as long as the network can transmit and receive data transparently from both ends (pretty much any standard network connection should do this, unless specifically configured otherwise).

In the analog PTZ world, control data was carried by a separate set of wires from the video; in the network world, it's all simply data being carried back and forth on one cable.

so in other words it will work in a Cisco Smart switch... I always rely on the product documentation because they will tell if it wont work on this kind of setup. I am really concern about PTZ working over fiber optic.....

As long as your NVR supports controlling the particular PTZ you are using, it should work.

All the network switch sees is data going through it, there is no difference between control data and video data, as far as the switch (or fiber link, wireless, etc.) is concerned.