toughman

Long distance camera power supply?

I have one project need to run 8 cameras about 1,100 ft and there is no power source for camera at the camera site. Can anyone help me and give me any good suggestions? The camera can be 12VDC or 24VAC.

Thanks,

Roger

I have one project need to run 8 cameras about 1,100 ft and there is no power source for camera at the camera site. Can anyone help me and give me any good suggestions? The camera can be 12VDC or 24VAC.

Thanks,

Roger

Hi toughman. i would look at using bi-wave connectors. and at 1.100ft you will have no problem using them and the good thing is they come with a power supply to run a camera with audio down i coax. i have never had a problem using them.

http://biwave89.sg1001.myweb.hinet.net/images/VDS21002200%20Diagram.pdf

Toms suggestion looks interesting. I wonder if a 28 Volt power supply would work for this as well. What do you think guys?

Hi SEANHAWG. what you have to remember is the bi-wave is for 12v cameras and the 28v on the power supply is when it will be used to its maximum .....voltage drop. (gives you 12v at camera)

Altronix has very interesting way to calculate your cable lengths based on wire gauge, distance of the cable, output supply and voltage drop per 100' distance here: http://altronix.com/index.php?pid=4&note=1

Altronix has 8 Fused Outputs CCTV Power Supply. 24VAC @ 28A or 28VAC @ 25A and even with variable current adjustments, thus if you follow the above calculation for your longest length guage cable requirements, then you can select the correct power supply.

Good luck...

Hi SEANHAWG. what you have to remember is the bi-wave is for 12v cameras and the 28v on the power supply is when it will be used to its maximum .....voltage drop. (gives you 12v at camera)

Well what I meant was if he used 24 VAC cameras and he used a 28V power supply to power them.

With that distance if you use a 16gauge wire with 24vac cameras and a 27-28 VAC power supply than you should be fine. Assuming that you aren't using cameras with heater and blower or PTZ.

Do not go 12vdc for that distance.

With that distance if you use a 16gauge wire with 24vac cameras and a 27-28 VAC power supply than you should be fine. Assuming that you aren't using cameras with heater and blower or PTZ.

Are you considering the amperage a the source when you are making this recommendation? With a power supply that has 1A at the source with 28VAC and with 16 gauge cable, your voltage drop will be around 9V at the receiving end, which will be around 18-19V available for the camera. I do not think camera will perform correctly.

If someone uses 12 gauge cable and pushes 1A with 28VAC at the source, then the camera receiving end could get roughly 24VAC (voltage drop will be roughly 4VAC) according to the chart with Altronix... In the real world this could be slightly different, but not much...

Higher amperage power supply will improve the voltage drop per 100' on type of gauge cable...

Higher amperage power supply will improve the voltage drop per 100' on type of gauge cable...

Only to a certain extent. If your camera draws close to the maximum available from the PSU, then you will get greater voltage drop as the draw exceeds the available current. As long as there's sufficient supply, you won't see any gain from increasing the power supply's current capacity.

In short, if the camera draws 500mA, then you'll definitely see a drop over a long/small run using a 500mA PSU. A 750mA should suffice though; you would see NO benefit from going to a 1A, 2A, 5A or any higher than that.

If your camera draws close to the maximum available from the PSU, then you will get greater voltage drop as the draw exceeds the available current.

Just curious as to why this would make the voltage drop? As I thought Voltage had more to do with distance and amperage had more to do with "power current pull". So the higher the amperage pull the voltage will drop as well?

It's because of the resistance of the wire itself, vs. the resistance of the load, as these two parts of the circuit form a voltage divider.

I used to have a good, n00b-friendly explanation for why this happens... at the moment, I'm too tired to remember it, having just got home from an overnight job...

It's because of the resistance of the wire itself, vs. the resistance of the load, as these two parts of the circuit form a voltage divider.

I used to have a good, n00b-friendly explanation for why this happens...

We all have n00b explanations...

Are you considering the amperage a the source when you are making this recommendation? With a power supply that has 1A at the source with 28VAC and with 16 gauge cable, your voltage drop will be around 9V at the receiving end, which will be around 18-19V available for the camera. I do not think camera will perform correctly.

If someone uses 12 gauge cable and pushes 1A with 28VAC at the source, then the camera receiving end could get roughly 24VAC (voltage drop will be roughly 4VAC) according to the chart with Altronix... In the real world this could be slightly different, but not much...

It all depends on the current draw on his cameras. If he is using a 24vac camera that only draws 250mA with 28VAC power supply he should have no problem hitting his distances of 1100ft

Hello,

Think about costs,

Whats the difference in costs if you let an electrician make a 110V volts power line to the camera's or you make a low voltage line to the camera's?

It will cost the same amount of time.

And you have the option of using lights or IR and heaters.

Where i live electricians get less payed than CCTV installers and so we hire them all the time for the power supllies so the customers have to pay less.

Greets,

Electryko

It all depends on the current draw on his cameras. If he is using a 24vac camera that only draws 250mA with 28VAC power supply he should have no problem hitting his distances of 1100ft

What I've also done (in this case, to power a remote network switch) was to feed 24VAC to the remote location, then adde d a small board-type power regulator to provide the final DC voltage I needed (5V/2A for this one... current draw at 24VAC works out to around 400mA).