tds1

Help choosing a hybrid NVR

I am trying to plan a security camera system and was initially set on analog due to cost. Now I am thinking that a hybrid system may be a better way to go in terms of flexibility. The choices for CCTV seem overwhelming, so it seems smartest to begin with the recorder and then decide on cameras. A standalone hybrid NVR seems to be the simplest for me over a PC based system. One option from reading the threads is the Exacqvision EL-S. I would probably pick the 8 channel with 500 GB. One thing I don't like about this option that if the HD failed, I assume I would need to send back to Exacq for replacement, rather than simply replace it myself. Also, the $150 IP camera license fee seems high given the already high cost of the IP cameras. My plan would be to have CNB Mona Lisa cameras on the analog side, and several IP Megapixal cameras to start (adding more as prices decline).

Are their other hybrid NVR options that I should be looking at? My budget for the NVR is about $2K - a little higher if needed . Bonus if I can replace the drives myself and the lower the IP camera fee, the better.

Also, I wouldn't mind haven't my system professionally installed. But it seems like most security companies I have spoken with only deal with 1 brand (GE, or Panasonic, etc) and don't seem to like the hybrid idea. So I may reluctantly need to install myself if this is the route I choose.

Take a look on Avermedia line of product.

My opinion - this is the best solution for price+quality.

Be careful choosing IP cameras, not all of them gonna work with Avermedia DVR,

specially Super-Ebay-China

Good luck!

So I started researching the Avermedia Hybrid NVRs. The ability to add my own HD is a huge plus, of course. Prices look good. Looking at the specs of the EH5108 or EH5216H , a couple things I noticed.

1) It says each IP channel can support 2.3 MP cameras with MJPEG, or 1.3 MP cameras with MPEG4. Isn't MPEG4 what would be recommended? Is 1.3 MP maximum a big deal? The Exacqvision EL-S says it can support up to 10 MP but doesn't say if that is with MPEG4.

2) What softwhere would I use with the Avermedia? Is it the AVerDiGi CM3000? Can't seem to find if there is a IP license fee or what the software would cost.

3) Saw there is a new AVerDiGi IWH3216, but can't tell if that is for sale in the US or not. Also saw a AVerDiGi SA6000E Pro, but I can't figure out how that differs from the EH5108.

4) Wireguys, PM sent. Does the Exacqvision use a single HD (for example in the 500 GB version), or is it a multiple drive setup?

So I started researching the Avermedia Hybrid NVRs. The ability to add my own HD is a huge plus, of course. Prices look good. Looking at the specs of the EH5108 or EH5216H , a couple things I noticed.

1) It says each IP channel can support 2.3 MP cameras with MJPEG, or 1.3 MP cameras with MPEG4. Isn't MPEG4 what would be recommended? Is 1.3 MP maximum a big deal? The Exacqvision EL-S says it can support up to 10 MP but doesn't say if that is with MPEG4.

Exacq will work with any supported IP camera which the highest is Arecont 10MP right now and any compression the camera uses MJPEG/MPEG4/H.264. Here is the supported camera list. http://www.exacq.com/support/ipcameras.html

2) What softwhere would I use with the Avermedia? Is it the AVerDiGi CM3000? Can't seem to find if there is a IP license fee or what the software would cost.

3) Saw there is a new AVerDiGi IWH3216, but can't tell if that is for sale in the US or not. Also saw a AVerDiGi SA6000E Pro, but I can't figure out how that differs from the EH5108.

4) Wireguys, PM sent. Does the Exacqvision use a single HD (for example in the 500 GB version), or is it a multiple drive setup?

With the EL-S box it is limited to one internal HD but you can expand with iSCSI to what ever you need. The Linux OS runs on a SSD. Keep in mind the Exacq solution is Enterprize class where the Avermedia is not. It is not really fair to compare the Aver to the EL-S

Hi tds1. if you can get the averdigi IWH3216 then all the better but the waiting list is long. the EH dvrs will only allow 1.3mp cameras on 7 of its channels and upto 5mp on the last. the good thing about avers is there is no cost for camera licences for any ip camera and now have most listed. you can update your dvr with new as they come out.

am a big user of avermedia but i would say if it was me looking between the avers eh and the exacqvision .... i would go with the exacqvision.

but the avermedia IWH3216 the exacqvision does not even come close to it.

I suggest use PC based DVR for hybrid, period.

Match less limitation, more customizable.

Are you going connect several Megapixel Cameras and Internet connection to the same Network Card (true switch)? LOL.

Feel free to PM me.

Are you going connect several Megapixel Cameras and Internet connection to the same Network Card (true switch)? LOL.

Feel free to PM me.

What software you use for your PC based DVRs? Because this is not a problem with Exacq or most other qualty VMS software or appliances.

Feel free to PM me.

What software you use for your PC based DVRs? Because this is not a problem with Exacq or most other qualty VMS software or appliances.

It's not a software problem.

It is a network issue, unless you are network guru

Thanks everyone for their replys.

1) Tomcctv, any idea when the AVerDiGi IWH3216 will be available in the US and how it is priced compared to the EH series?

2) I was interested in a hybrid system because the analog cameras are less expensive (e.g. CNB Mona Lisa) and it seems from reading other threads they they tend to offer better night ability. So I was going to mix analog for night ability with IP camera for their higher resolution. Is that true a valid statement or are their IP cameras that match the night ability of the better day/night analog cameras?

Feel free to PM me.

It's not a software problem.

It is a network issue, unless you are network guru

this really is not an issue for the what this guy is looking for.

Edited by Guest

May I ask why you are looking at standalone units? They all have their limitations and limited resources....

A pc based system (hybrid) is usually cheaper, much more versatile, and if something breaks parts are readily availible. No propriatary parts like with an embedded unit.

Look at avers 6480 card. 16ch analog or ip mix and match how you please. No licenses to buy. Very do able in your budget.

Pm me for pricing.

With that said, of course Exacq is much better but imo more of an enterprise solution with an enterprise stcker price to match. Since your looking to cut costs by using some analog cams... I don't think your looking for enterprise grade.

Aver is hard to beat for the price. And no, I'm not pusing my own agenda. I consistently test other manufacturers but keep coming bk to aver. Just ask any aver user. It will do everything you want and then some. The software will blow away any dvr you've ever used.

May I ask why you are looking at standalone units? They all have their limitations and limited resources....

A pc based system (hybrid) is usually cheaper, much more versatile, and if something breaks parts are readily availible. No propriatary parts like with an embedded unit.

Look at avers 6480 card. 16ch analog or ip mix and match how you please. No licenses to buy. Very do able in your budget.

Pm me for pricing.

With that said, of course Exacq is much better but imo more of an enterprise solution with an enterprise stcker price to match. Since your looking to cut costs by using some analog cams... I don't think your looking for enterprise grade.

Aver is hard to beat for the price. And no, I'm not pusing my own agenda. I consistently test other manufacturers but keep coming bk to aver. Just ask any aver user. It will do everything you want and then some. The software will blow away any dvr you've ever used.

Hi bpzle. the touch avers is a pc based (two types have been realeased) both being very powerfull with having the new atom chip.

and another machine is the avers SA9000 pro. you will not use all the features on that ........and works well with the touch screen. i will see how much it will cost to send one to bpzle. if bpzle is ok about that.

The windows based 9000 has been availible for a while but pretty pricey compared to building my own. The other one you mentioned I don't believe is availible in the US. Don't forget we only get a fraction of the Aver toys you do in the UK. Not sure why, but you always talk about cool stuff but its just not availible here.

Pm me for pricing.

Hi bpzle. the touch avers is a pc based (two types have been realeased) both being very powerfull with having the new atom chip.

and another machine is the avers SA9000 pro. you will not use all the features on that ........and works well with the touch screen. i will see how much it will cost to send one to bpzle. if bpzle is ok about that.

Atom chip is very powerful

Lol maybe for linux... but I don't think I would build a windows based sever/client around one.

Yayaya exacq can do it but I highly doubt for a server/client bundle.

The EL-S box is also Atom based. I have built many Atom based Exacq NVRs and I would recommend you use them for servers only not clients. You need better video cards with the Atom boards for clients

The windows based 9000 has been availible for a while but pretty pricey compared to building my own. The other one you mentioned I don't believe is availible in the US. Don't forget we only get a fraction of the Aver toys you do in the UK. Not sure why, but you always talk about cool stuff but its just not availible here.

Hi bpzle. does it make you want one

The EL-S box is also Atom based. I have built many Atom based Exacq NVRs and I would recommend you use them for servers only not clients. You need better video cards with the Atom boards for clients

I've been meaning to try the Zotac board with Ion video card, http://www.zotac.com/httpdocs/brochures/mb/master_nm10-b-e-ion_ion-upgrade-kit_%28nm10-dtx%29_v1.1.pdf, looks like it might do pretty well for a Exacq setup running server+client.... Any experience with it?

Pm me for pricing.

Not sure, just seems simpler having a dedicated device. I have been through the build your own computer phase, and my lesson was that it wasn't worth the extra time and hassle to research each part separately. I didn't end up saving much money either. So, I believe you are right that a PC based system with card is more versatile than a propriety system, but it sounds like there are some dedicated options that will work and are below or just above budget. It's all about how to best allocate the budget.

My goal for initial installation was to keep total budget under $5,000. My idea was to spend around $2,000 on the hybrid DVR, about $1,000 for 6 analog Day/Night cameras, about $1,000 on 2 hybrid cameras, and then about $1,000 for some professional assistance as I would need help with some wiring/camera mounting. I haven't found anyone yet to help with the wiring if I supply the cameras and DVR, but there has got to be someone local that can do it. Seems like the Aver 5216 and Exacqvision ELS are the best hybrid options to choose from, the 5216 being cheaper if I can live with the IP camera limitation. Too bad, I do wish there was someone local that could design/install a hybrid system for $5K! It seems very unrealistic based on the quotes I have received. So, I will need to stick with my partial DIY plan.

Exacq will work with any supported IP camera which the highest is Arecont 10MP right now and any compression the camera uses MJPEG/MPEG4/H.264. Here is the supported camera list. http://www.exacq.com/support/ipcameras.html

With the EL-S box it is limited to one internal HD but you can expand with iSCSI to what ever you need. The Linux OS runs on a SSD. Keep in mind the Exacq solution is Enterprize class where the Avermedia is not. It is not really fair to compare the Aver to the EL-S

When you expand the EL-S with iSCSI is it for backup only or primary recording?

When you expand the EL-S with iSCSI is it for backup only or primary recording?

Primary storage

Tds1:

I was not referring to building a pc from scratch. I agree with you, that's a PITA. A lot of guys still do it but I personally think its a waste of time... Esp when I can get a name brand prebuilt pc with LCD shipped for less than $700. And that comes with a single warranty... no calling random parts manufacturers for support hoping they won't blame it on the other manufacturer...

Unless space is very limited and power consumption is a problm, I don't think it makes sense to buy standalones. Standalones are a good bang for the buck if you need 4 or 8 all analog channels or 4 ch pure NVR.

Anything outside of that criteria just does not make sense to me. At least in today's market.... that will probably change tomorrow.

I've been meaning to try the Zotac board with Ion video card, http://www.zotac.com/httpdocs/brochures/mb/master_nm10-b-e-ion_ion-upgrade-kit_%28nm10-dtx%29_v1.1.pdf, looks like it might do pretty well for a Exacq setup running server+client.... Any experience with it?

I have used the Zotac board for client/server with h.264 Arecont Megapixel cameras and it worked but just allittle slower then I and you word like. The customer loves it but they have never worked with Exacq on a quad core server like we have.

Tds1:

I was not referring to building a pc from scratch. I agree with you, that's a PITA. A lot of guys still do it but I personally think its a waste of time... Esp when I can get a name brand prebuilt pc with LCD shipped for less than $700. And that comes with a single warranty... no calling random parts manufacturers for support hoping they won't blame it on the other manufacturer...

Unless space is very limited and power consumption is a problm, I don't think it makes sense to buy standalones. Standalones are a good bang for the buck if you need 4 or 8 all analog channels or 4 ch pure NVR.

Anything outside of that criteria just does not make sense to me. At least in today's market.... that will probably change tomorrow.

Completely agree