tds1

Help choosing a hybrid NVR

Yes, I understand fps. I said that 10fps is "not good" based on the fact that many systems are capable of recording D1 at 30fps per channel.

As for storing high resolution, that argument hardly applies in today's age of cheap TB hard drives. And why do you need to store the "high-resolution evidence" for as long as possible on the primary storage drive anyway? Most recordings are 99.99% uneventful and perishable. The events of interest occupy only a tiny fraction of recorded video, and of those events, only a fraction would be considered "evidence". Since any "evidence" would be copied/backed-up off the primary storage drive, I see no reason to limit the resolution and the frame rate of the recorded video.

Most applications don't need 30FPS. Take a look at the below link and decided for yourself if you really want to pay the extra $$$ for 30FPS @ D1 on all channels.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

Yes, I understand fps. I said that 10fps is "not good" based on the fact that many systems are capable of recording D1 at 30fps per channel.

As for storing high resolution, that argument hardly applies in today's age of cheap TB hard drives. And why do you need to store the "high-resolution evidence" for as long as possible on the primary storage drive anyway? Most recordings are 99.99% uneventful and perishable. The events of interest occupy only a tiny fraction of recorded video, and of those events, only a fraction would be considered "evidence". Since any "evidence" would be copied/backed-up off the primary storage drive, I see no reason to limit the resolution and the frame rate of the recorded video.

That thinking is fine if all you're dealing with is "immediate" events like robberies and such, where someone's going to go back and look at the video within an hour or two of the incident... a good portion of the time though, nobody even KNOWS to go looking for the evidence until a month or more after the incident.

In retail especially, "book" losses don't usually show up until monthly reports are done. With credit card and payment fraud, it can sometimes be two or three months before things make their way through the chain and someone actually wants to look at the video. You have to still HAVE the "perishable" video a month or more later to search through so you can FIND the evidence.

Edited by Guest

Check the the Atom Zotac based boards they have much better on board video.

So back to my original question, before the late night comedy crowd entered, what did you find the CPU usage to be when using some of the MP cameras in live video on the Atom PCs?

I'd like to know this as well. Does the Exacq EL-S box allow you to run a client on the server box, or are you restricted to remote clients?

You can run the client on the ELS but if your using MP you will have better performance with using it as a server only.

Can it handle one or two 1-MP streams and four analog views without freezing?

Yup. I can build you one with Linux or Windows and you can use analog camera with encoders if you would like.

What is the cost with Windows? Does the OS double the cost?

Best,

Christopher

Yup. I can build you one with Linux or Windows and you can use analog camera with encoders if you would like.

What is the cost with Windows? Does the OS double the cost?

Best,

Christopher

0-$100?