bpzle

Using existing coax for satellite and modulated CATV channel

I know next to nothing of satellite equipment... But I have a job where I need to insert a modulated CATV channel onto existing coax that is currently being used for satellite.

I tried using diplexers but never could pass through the satellite signal to the receiver, even without adding the modulator.

Here is what was already at the site, and obviously works.

I tried adding diplexers and but ever after receiver reset and having nothing connected to the ant/cable input on the diplexers I never could regain satellite signal.

Here was my original plan for adding the modulator, but it never worked so I resorted to troubleshooting.

908149269_alreadyworked.JPG.43831324e67246dcab7eff71e5392bfe.JPG

731462581_doesnotwork.JPG.2c22eea618f01c7b1778c270afa4f34a.JPG

1293188597_mygoal.JPG.4a3656471a8636a642cb6c0428db819c.JPG

Edited by Guest

Are the duplexers rated to handle the Satellite frequencies? I installed a new HD dish 2-3 years ago and had to upgrade the coax and connectors to handle the new higher frequencies. My old HD dish operated at lower frequencies which would bleed off the signal if the existing coax were used with the new dish. It is possible that your dish is using the lower frequency coax, but will not handle the increased load of 2 duplexers. You could try asking the techs at Solid Signal.

DVR MAN

Well, I know it's probably just whatever pictures you could get for the purpose, but your diagrams show splitters, which are one-way devices... which is why the third and even the second diagrams won't pass the signal. You can't usually just "blend" two signals, and I wouldn't try it with a non-active device.

Question about this modulator though: the ones I've seen all INSERT into the cable line, because they need to notch the signal out of the channel they're using... does this one not simply insert into the line?

I gave up and put in vga distributors over cat5, had to home run each cable and add specal recievers to each tv.

No, those are not splitters. The pics are the exact make /model of diplexor I was using.

Supposedly, the reason I could not use diplexors was that in the house 2 of the 6 sat recievers were HD. That's the answer I got from the sat nerds on another forum. Doesn't make sense to me, but oh well... I used something I was more experienced with.

also, I've never seen a modulator with a built in notch filter. A specfic filter must be used dependent on which channel you wish to create with the modulator.