what2be

Geovision 1480 Card Firmware 1.57 (2004 card) and 8.x??

At my wits end, wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

Bought this 1480 card new (its a legit card) in 2005 and ran perfectly up until I closed my business in 2008. I *think* I had ver 7.x when It was up and running.

Last month I decided to sell it to a friend so I used a old server i had lying around and put the card in.

I Installed xp 64 bit (since 8.3.4 supports 64 bit) and it would not load the drivers.

I then installed win 7 64 bit and it still wouldnt load the drivers.

I then installed win 7 32 bit and it loaded the drivers fine.

I did some research and read that you need firmware 3.x to run a 64 bit OS? Is this correct? When I finally did load the 32 bit drivers in win 7 I noticed it updated my firmware from 1.53 to 1.57 (or something like that, im not positive)

Is this why I cant load any 64 bit drivers????

Now, for my actual problem, after installing win7 32 bit and loading the 8.3.4 drivers and software, I got everything up and running but when I connect a camera (any channel) all I get is a bunch of wavy lines in different colors.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I tried different cameras, I tried different channels, I tried 1, 2, 3 & 4 cameras at once, and the only thing I noticed was that as I attached more cameras, the moving horizontal lines got finer and more of them as I connected more cameras.

I seriously doubt the card is bad, I'm thinking its either one of 2 things.

1) 8.x is not compatible with this card and firmware 1.57 and I need to go back to 7.x (in this case, where do I find the latest 7.x software?)

or

2) The machine is causing the problems. Its a AMD dual opteron dual core (2 seperate processors that are also dual cores on the motherboard) Its got 8 gigs ram. I read a thread that someone described a similar problem as mine but when they disabled hyperthreading in the bios (it was a intel cpu) the problem was fixed and the video was fine. Unfortunately for me, I cant disable the second processor or the dual core of a single processor, but what I did try was I set the affinity for the .exe file to use one core on one processor only. This didnt seem to change anything and the problem was the same...but maybe the geovision software needs to start up in single mode instead of setting the affinity after its been opened? As far as I know, you cant set the affinity for the program until AFTER you start it and it loads in memory. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

All comments welcome. thanks!

It should be an Nvidia or Intel Chipset, I believe I had a SIS chipset working one time also.

I would load XP 32bit and see if that makes a difference.

I would also not use 8.3.xx unless you need to for some reason, its much slower than the 8.1.xx versions as it is designed on much faster hardware, 8.1.2 being my favourite but cannot run on the new cards. 7.0 card can upgrade to 8.1.2 but it will need to do a firmware update, not sure whether the 8.3.4 firmware update caused any problems with it.

As mentioned check the NTSC/PAL setting.

if you have another PC try it in that first.

I have 7.x here locally, could upload it somewhere, though I originally found it on a google search. EzCCTV.com might have it also, its free registration.

hmmm... interesting info... and yes, I checked the output and its set to NTSC like is should be.

The motherboard chipset is nvidia 2200 pro chipset, all drivers current. Video card is a geoforce 7800 GTX.

I just found a tool called 8.0 version checking tool. Im going to send it to the guy (i live out of town) and have him run it to see what it comes back with. Im assuming that tool is to check what software versions the hardware installed will support?

Also, I am guessing its not possible to upgrade 1.x firmware to 3.x firmware since when I ran the driver install from 8.3.4 it only upgraded my firmware from 1.x to 1.x. Maybe its true you need 3.x firmware for the 8.x software?

And yes, I found a way on the ezcctv site to download a full version of 6.05 and then a upgrade to 7.05 and then a 7.05 to 7.07 patch. Its a long process but better than nothing I guess.

I have the complete 7.05 if you want it, its 157mb ZIP file though so will take a little time to upload it.

Thanks for the offer. I will let you know if I end up needing it.

From what ive been reading ALL 1480 cards support the 8.x software, and DONT need a dongle, regardless of the age of the card or the firmware on it. If this is true then obviously I need to take a look at the hardware end of things instead of blaming the card or software.

I will try the card in another machine and post my results..

Yeah it was a newer card, but 8.3 was a totally new version of software, for example cards that came with 8.3xx only work with 8.3+. There were alot of changes to the way Webcam worked also. In fact from 8.2 things started going downhill. Unless you need the IP software or Mobile phone upgrade then I would look at sticking to 8.1.2 as that was a solid release, I have those in the field still going strong. 8.3.3 and 8.3.4 both still have bugs by the way, 8.3.0 was even worse though. Although if you have a nice fast PC then they should be fine, biggest bug I found was related to Remote Viewlog and the address book, being that it is missing. 8.3.1 for example did not have the same problem. I have 8.3.3 and 8.3.4 systems out there as well though.