bso8870

Suggestions on Cameras for my home!!!

I currently have cheap B/W cameras that I purchased off ebay. They actually work ok but I am looking to upgrade to Color/night time cameras.

I need a wider angle camera then the one I have. I want to view whole driveway and both to the left and right as well.

I need a camera on rear patio to have more magnification. I want to be able to identify persons at the far end of patio.

Front door camera- I would like to see more of front lawn as well as door area.

I don't need state of the art looking to spend $100-200 per camera. I saw the Eclipse cameras that Rory had and they pretty good,

Can you guys give me some suggestions on cameras for my situation. See link below to see my setup,

http://mikescameras.gotdns.com

Hi,

One thing to note is the cheap color bullets are generally 1/4 inch, so they wont be as wide as the BW camera which is generally 1/3 inch.

Black and white cameras will see much much more in low light that a color camera.

As for Day Night cameras, the cheap ones, with IR may see, but not much .. They can be very blurry, or at least hard to make out a persons face.

A good day night is a TRUE day night, which will say it has a mechanical IR cut Filter. They normally will cost alot more than $200 even for dealers let alone retail.

The best way to do it, and the cheapest, would be to just use BW where there is not much light, and color where there is enough light at night.

Look at the Provideo CVC-325WPSW for a BW bullet, has IR though I dont utilize them, but the quality of the image is great for what it is, and they last. They arent the cheapest but I have used the cheapest BW Bullets and they dont compare, even a cheap OEM Exview low low light BW bullet, i have one here and actually it just died in a heavy storm the other day, but basically they are blurry at night, even though they do see much more than regular BW (0.1lux), and the day time is not great. I just dont see the point of seeing in t he dark if you cant make anything out anyway (it was a freebee camera by the way). And some of the Provideo cheaper BW plain bullets, didnt match the quality of this one either. Different OEM manufacturers I imagine.

High resolution is definately better, especially for remote video, but like you (probably?), I cant afford that for my own apt. Hence the Eclipse bullets .. if they steal them then i dont loose much

If you are intersted in the Eclipse Bullets Pm/Email me ..

Also where do you live?

Rory

I live in fort Lauderdale. I think the color cameras will be out of my league. Can you suggest a wider angle B/W that would be more suitable for my driveway. An a B/W with more magnification for my back patio to capture persons at far end.

You can look at my cameras here at mikescameras.gotdns.com

and see what you think will be best.

Probably better off to look in daylight.

Thanks,

Mike

The color bullet I have here, doubt its out of your range, except for the lens itself which is not wide, as its a 1/4" camera with a 4mm lens.

Do you know what lens is on the cameras now? They dont quite look like 3.6mm 1/3".

If you are on a really tight budget, the eclipse would be what you want. If you want more clarity and a better product, Provideo but costs more than eclipse.

Anything more than 50' from the cameras focal view wont be able to make out much.

When you say magnatude, you want to zoom the image further away? If so you will cut out some of the area that you now have near the camera.

Driveway cam may just need a decent 3.6mm 1/3" Camera. You can always buy some micro lenses to replace the 3.6mm with if its still not wide enough, but wider than 3.6 normally gets more blurry, less clarity. They normally have 2.5 mm in micro lenses and should be able to pick them up from any security dealer/distributor. Eclipse has these also for sale seperately. You could have them install it on the camera for you,

Otherwise, to change a micro lens on a bullet you would need a monitor/tv, unscrew the face of it, and replace the old lens with the new one by unscrewing it out, and screwing in the new one. Then have to make sure the face is screwed on tight afterwards or water could get in and kill the camera. Some of them come with a mini screw to loosen or tighten the lens, some only come with a spring.

Eclipse is right in your area, might want to check them out. If you want something else, let me know ..

I would sell you them but im in the Bahamas

Rory

I am not quite sure what lenses are on my cameras. I bought them off of ebay over a year ago. Are you saying I should be able to change the lens on the camera myself to a 3.6.

Also can you leave some links so I can see what cameras you are referencing. Where is the eclipse dealer down here that you mentioned.

I appreciate the time you took out to answer my questions, I am new to this and it is very helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

Unlike Rory, I’m not so crazy about the quality of the ProVideo bullet cameras. I have a 3-year-old HEAT camera that produces an image like a Monet painting. It’s actually very “artistic,â€

are you trying to see in pitch dark?? Have you cleaned the lens face? Have you tried to focus it? Could be bad also, shiit happens. The ones I have tested are equal in quality to a High Res Box camera.

are you trying to see in pitch dark?? Have you cleaned the lens face? Have you tried to focus it? Could be bad also, shiit happens. The ones I have tested are equal in quality to a High Res Box camera.

The camera is not IR sensitive, so it can't be used at night.

I've cleaned the inside and outside of the outer glass and lens. Yes, and focused.

The image is much better in low light, but next to worthless in bright sunlight.

Thats strange, because the color Heats I have hear are great in the daytime .. EI is probably set too high = faulty send back to them ...

Thats strange, because the color Heats I have hear are great in the daytime .. EI is probably set too high = faulty send back to them ...

Can't; it's past its warranty.

Arghhh, from day 1 was it like this, and what model so I dont buy it !

I bought it about 3 years ago to use as a “semi-telephotoâ€

he he he .. did that today with a zoom camera, need to connect the monitor to it tomorrow and do it and the other domes properly .. the shouting back and forth never works ... They tend to more than often be focused in all the way to 4mm and wide, without having to look at them, Varifocals that is .. not all but the domes for sure .. but in the far focus it requires more work ..