mjw

Need Help ASAP

Im helping out a friend of mine who owns a car dealership. The company who originally installed his cctv system did a shotty job... in the power supply, they used a screw as a fuse... aside from the point. The idiots used cable tv connectors on the cables not bnc so i went and bought some twist on bnc connectors, and they are on snug.

Basically they have a "junction box" where all the cameras run to this box, and then they connect to a set of cables to go to another building. When I had the dvr in that other bldg, the cameras worked fine. But when I put the dvr in the building same as the junction box, and ran new cable from that junction box to the new room where the dvr is, none of the video works.

The new cabling is rg59. The existing cables going to the cameras is RG6. I had the connector where you can connect 2 bncs together,,, kinda like a splice.... female to female coupler. Once when I moved the cable, the video came up for a brief second then nothing. I am without video.

Can I use rg6 with rg59? What I mean by this is the cable going to the cam is rg6, which goes to the junction box, which in there its connected to the female to female coupler, and on the other side of that is the rg59 going to my dvr.

The cameras I know work because I saw the video when the dvr was in the other building and that was using the twist on bnc connectors, so i know its not those.

Any solutions? This is aggravating especially being in the hot heat.

Without any other info, it sounds to me like loose connection, as you say when you moved the cable the video came back on briefly.

Yes you can join RG59 to RG6 Cattv cable, ive had to do it in the past. Try connecting at least one together without the connector, braid to braid, center to center. If that works, then maybe its loose or bad connectors. Then just connect them all together like that instead of using the connectors. As its in the box, it should not be noticeable. Ofcourse still seal the connections with electric tape or other.

Another quick thing you could try is to run electric tape around the current connections, incase they are grounding out in the box if it is metal, or just grounding out on the other connections.

The twist on BNCs should be great as long as you know what you are doing, they are a proven tool for thousands of professionals in the industry, but you might have got some bad ones.

Im helping out a friend of mine who owns a car dealership. The company who originally installed his cctv system did a shotty job... in the power supply, they used a screw as a fuse... aside from the point. The idiots used cable tv connectors on the cables not bnc so i went and bought some twist on bnc connectors, and they are on snug.

I would suspect your problem being those substandard twist-on connectors. They are a step better than the F connectors you replaced. Using anything other than crimp-ons is inviting trouble and puts you in the same light as the hack that used the F connectors.

I'm a big fan of twist on. I can do install them in no seconds flat now. I've worked with them so much that I prefer them over Crimp on now. But if you are not used to them then it is not too hard to get a bad connection. I agree with the others as I think its a bad connection somewhere since you did see it come up once. Try re-applying on your connectors to see if that helps. Just like Adam said, if the shielding is touching the center conductor, it will detrement or kill the video signal, its a common problem among folks installing for the first time.

As the others have said you probably have a bad connection or two. Not only the shield shorting also an open ground will do the same. It's a real pain in the derrier when you have to put twist ons on a RG6 with a foil braid. You see the problem often lies with the dielectric insulator, the **** expands and contracts a quicker rate than the center conductor does so the shield may slip back and you lose ground. Another problem might be your power supply. If your using a single source power supply for more than one camera watch your polarity. They all have to wired exactly the same because one side of line in the majority of camera's made now is common with the shield................They all go back to a switcher, multiplexor or dvr. The shield or ground connection on the back of these devices are all common. So if you have reversed the polarity on one camera........well you figure it out + connected to - doesn't cut it even if its between 2 camera's connected to a single point with 2K' of wire. This goes also to camera's using utp cable with baluns. NEXT.........send cheque, money order or cash. ......Thank you, taking a perverbiable bow.