moe

Convert GE DVMRE Wavelet to Anything Else?

Hi all,

Is there any way to convert a GE WaveReader Wavelet to another format? How does one send footage to another party who only has a Macintosh? Can I burn this footage to a DVD or transfer it to another media?

Many Thanks!

Its pretty much proprietary, last I checked only way was to use screen capture to AVI which is the way I was doing it when I used their DVRs and what their techs also said was the only way. Its possible it has changed since then though, which was a year or so ago, have you tried the GE site and see if they have any new software up there?

Thanks Rory. I see that there is GE Nav software, but I'm not sure it will work with my DVMre and how much it will cost.

So you're not using GE's anymore? I believe I got my GE a few years ago after I read a lot of recommendations from you on this board. I love mine, although I still wish it worked with the Mac in some way.

Mark

Cant, too expensive down here, time as you pay the price of the GE + Shipping + 45% Customs Duty .. people just wont buy them. Also, still love the remote playback .. and the local jog dial playback is still quickest response Ive seen .. they really had that down packed .. but these days there really are some other brands for alot less that have much more features and the evidence sharing tends to be better, such as export to AVI.

Now that said, you could maybe do something in VB6 ..

the activeX has a snapshot method, could put that in a timer then keep snapping until done .. saving images in order like 0001, 0002, etc, then when done create an avi from them. But ofcourse the quality is like CIF. The activeX can also play local files so that isnt a problem. Though its been several years since I used it.

Again, for the mac, could run a server on another PC (has to always be on) that snapshots images to a path that one could access via a web browser like Safari on the Mac. Perhaps use Javascript or Java or Quicktime to stream it. Ofcourse GE should be doing all that since they make so much money on the DVRs, or should have been anyway

Hey, thanks a lot. Do you have any sample VB code that accesses this VB snapshot method?

Yeah actually it is really easy as their activeX does it for you.

if the ActiveX is named WaveReader2

A couple basic examples:

Open local file for playback:

Dim sVideo As String

sVideo = "c:\MyVideo.rdb"

WaveletReader2.OpenFile (sVideo)

WaveletReader2.Play

Snapshot:

Dim sImage As String

sImage = "c:\MyImage.bmp"

WaveletReader2.SaveFile (sImage)

Now .. I dont recall if you can snapshot a file being played back locally or not, I have no samples here to test, if you send me something, as long as it is an .rdb file, then I could test it really quick. Actually Im surprised I still have the code .. kept it in a ZIP file though just incase I ever needed it again. My code was pretty dirty back then, no object type declares or anything, hey I had just moved from years of vbscript to VB6 at the time

Also you could download WaveVue from my site and open a file to test it yourself if you like, click the floppy disk button to snapshot.

Edit, Yes it will snapshot a local file. I made a blank text file and named it a .rdb and though it gave error I was able to snapshot it anyway, just a blue image though.

I like the idea of having a PC save a snapshot to a path and then maybe building a OS X widget to grab that image at a specific time interval. I'll have to play around with that, as I do some programming but no VB6 and I'm hardly ever on a PC.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I find my sImage path?

Thanks for your help.

that would be a path to a file name you set.

for example, using a different variable name: "TempImage"

Private ImageNum As Long
Private TempPath As String
Private TempImage As String

'start snapshots
Private Sub StartSave()
   ImageNum = 0
   TempPath = "c:\tmp"
   TempImage = TempPath & "\00000.bmp"
   WaveletReader2.SaveFile (TempImage)
   Timer1.Interval = 1000
   Timer1.Enabled = True
End Sub

'stop snapshots
Private Sub StopSave()
   Timer1.Enabled = False
   '// create avi
End Sub

'timer >> TempImage = 00000.bmp, 00001.bmp, etc
Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
   ImageNum = ImageNum + 1
   TempImage = TempPath & "\" & Format(ImageNum, "00000") & ".bmp"
   WaveletReader2.SaveFile (TempImage)
End Sub

if you are using this in a web server environment, then could just make it like this:

you would have to convert it to a jpg though as it only saves as a bmp.

Private ServerPath As String

ServerPath  = "c:\myweb"

TempImage = ServerPath & "\cam.bmp"

Ah, I see now. sImage is not a specific GE path to image. WaveletReader2 will be getting the image for me. I need to store it.

This is very interesting. I can't wait to play with this!

Thank you for your time, Rory.

right

do you have the activeX?

also my samples are in VB6

you could use fusion or vbox on mac with XP to develop it.

Rory

do you have the activeX?

I thought I would just download that from somplace? I guess that's wrong.

also my samples are in VB6

Should I not be using VB6?

you could use fusion or vbox on mac with XP to develop it.

I'll use Apple's Bootcamp with Windows.

Here is the activeX and PDF on how to use it:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/wr.zip

All files are from Kalatel/GE . The folder OLD contains an older version plus a couple JPEG2000 files, not needed in our case. The WRControlDev.ocx and WRdvx.dll are both required, just place them both in the System32 folder. Adding the component in the VB6 IDE will register it - browse for the WRControlDev.ocx file only.

Yes VB6 is fine, thats all I use. Its old school but I have no need to use anything else at this time.

if you can send me a .rdb file any size of anything then I can see if I can get the conversion thing working. Got some code together but cant test it without a video file. Basically should be able to get away without using a timer but not 100% sure until I test it.

Hey, thanks a lot for the documentation. I'll have to go through it. I'll see if I can get a rdb file over to you. I appreciate it!