nsxttt

Camera that points at bright light / objects.

I have tried two CNB cameras and I have a camera that is mounted vertically on a wall at a front door with a covered porch, the issue I have is after 2PM the sky gets really bright and anything 5 feet in front of it (under the porch) including people are very dark. Any suggestions on cameras that would help.

Thanks

CNB have WDR cameras also, the Blue-i models. Not sure on the exact part numbers though and cant say how well they actually work but there are tons of videos of them on youtube, some good some bad.

If you tried the VBM or VCM 24Vf did you try adjusting the SBLC settings?

The CNB camera to buy is the VCB-34VF. This is a true WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) cam with a double-scan CCD. The way it works is the CCD takes two scans of the scene at different levels (one scan optimized for the bright areas and one scan optimized for the dark areas) and the Blue-i DSP integrates the two scans into a single image.

CNB also has two new "XWDR" cameras, the VCB-24VF and VCB-24VD. But these do not have the double-scan CCD (hence the "X" in XWDR). These use a single scan CCD and then the image is digitally optimized by the DSP to produce the wide dynamic range image. These have a lower dynamic range than the double-scanned VCB-34VF, although the single-scan CCDs used in these XWDR cams have better low-light sensitivity.

CNB have WDR cameras also, the Blue-i models. Not sure on the exact part numbers though and cant say how well they actually work but there are tons of videos of them on youtube, some good some bad.

If you tried the VBM or VCM 24Vf did you try adjusting the SBLC settings?

I tried the VBM-24VF but didn't mess with the settings. I also prefer something a little less "bulky" too since it's on a brick wall next to a door. I guess I'll play with the SBLC settings.

The CNB camera to buy is the VCB-34VF. This is a true WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) cam with a double-scan CCD. The way it works is the CCD takes two scans of the scene at different levels (one scan optimized for the bright areas and one scan optimized for the dark areas) and the Blue-i DSP integrates the two scans into a single image.

CNB also has two new "XWDR" cameras, the VCB-24VF and VCB-24VD. But these do not have the double-scan CCD (hence the "X" in XWDR). These use a single scan CCD and then the image is digitally optimized by the DSP to produce the wide dynamic range image. These have a lower dynamic range than the double-scanned VCB-34VF, although the single-scan CCDs used in these XWDR cams have better low-light sensitivity.

So the 34 will do great in that position but I will lose out on the low light sensitivity? and the 24's will do a OK job but better low light? Any suggested attractive looking WDR cameras with IR?

The VBM-24VF has BLC, but it's not a WDR camera. From the description of your problem, I don't think BLC will offer the solution you need. I think you need WDR. I would recommend the VCB-34VF. The difference in low-light capability between the VCB-34VF and the VCB-24VF is small. Here is a comparison of the relevant specs:

VCB-34VF

=======

Wide dynamic range: Up to 72dB

Min. Illumination: 0.1 Lux(Color) / 0.0002 Lux(DSS On, B/W)

VCB-24VF

=======

Wide dynamic range: Up to 60dB

Min. Illumination: 0.05 Lux(Color) / 0.0002 Lux(DSS On, B/W)

As you can see, the double-scan ccd of the VCB-34VF offers much greater dynamic range (the dB scale is logarithmic, so 72dB is MUCH greater than 60dB). Both cams have excellent low-light performance, and the difference between the two is only in the low-light color capabilites. They are rated the same for B/W low-light performance.

The cam you have has similar low-light capabilities as the VCB-24VF so I'd recommend testing the low-light performance with the cam you have. If your scene is so dark at night that you need very high-performance low-light capabilities, then I would consider adding illumination, and by that I mean white light (not IR). After all, the best deterrent to crime is to eliminate dark places for criminals to hide.

id also venture to say CNB uses faceplate lux ratings. Most do now and dont say they do. Having used the VBM-24VF I can say its probably somewhere around 0.05-0.01 lux but then cant really say without a lux meter, just judging by past experience with exview low light cameras and the ones that listed both the faceplate and the regular. Either way they are more moderate with their ratings than others which in some cases claim as low as 0.0000001 lux

That said, either way its going to be as good as or close enough to the VBM-24VF, so next question is how is the WDR and anyone used it before? Any videos or images from it? Id be looking at the 34VF model. I really wouldnt be using it for extreme low light apps anyway.

Ok so I got the chance to install a DBB-34VF, thats the Double scan WDR Blue-i camera from CNB, basically their indoor WDR Dome. I must say I didnt get a chance to really put it through a test like I normally do, this was just onsite testing in a very busy store.

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1121

In the end, we decided to leave it set to BLC high as WDR on either low, middle, or high, did not produce the results we wanted - to see the faces. Note: images over the web on low quality.

Overall Im not impressed with their WDR, seen better from the GE Ultraview camera some 5 years ago. But the BLC is impressive.

WDR on High - they must not have yet tested their technology on persons with darker skin tones.

cnbwdr1WDR.jpgcnbwdr2WDR.jpg

BLC on High - now can see faces inside and outside the door, do not care about the road as there is a camera out there anyway.

cnbwdr3BLC.jpgcnbwdr4BLC.jpg

BUT actually we CAN still see the road with BLC .. at least once something is out there

cnbwdr6BLC.jpg

And incase you are wondering, here it is with WDR and BLC off.

cnbwdr5off.jpg

ps. i didnt start a new thread as I may need to remove these images in the future.

The BLC looks beautiful on that Rory.

I have tried two CNB cameras and I have a camera that is mounted vertically on a wall at a front door with a covered porch, the issue I have is after 2PM the sky gets really bright and anything 5 feet in front of it (under the porch) including people are very dark. Any suggestions on cameras that would help.

Thanks

This may not be an option but move the cameras out from under the porch in full sun and you wont have that problem anymore. We always tell people to avoid that scenario if possible to avoid the contrast in lighting that you are going to have. Of course, this is not always an option, in that case, you would need WDR or install a cam under the porch and outside the porch.

Funny thing, I tested a Panasonic SD5 3MP camera a little while back... found that using a combination of BLC and Adaptive Black Stretch worked far better for severe backlighting than actually using the SD5 function.

I think if I had a wider angle it might have worked better .. but no time this job to try that out.

if you want to see a demo video of the CNB DBB-34VF as I changed from WDR to no BLC to BLC .. in a real application .. PM me and I will send you the login (for [most] forum members only). Opens in new window.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/private/wdrtest

Its a 50MB MP4 video and requires login (due to faces etc), streams from my site using the JWplayer. Original video was approx 2x150MB 704x480 AVIs of video recorded as I was testing. Video has been compressed, resized down to 544x368, joined, clippped, compressed again. Buffers so shouldnt have any play issues, and can full screen it.