cglaeser

24VAC over Cat5 wiring selection

When selecting two pairs of Cat5 wires to supply 24VAC, does it matter if the pairs are twisted? For example, if using green and orange pairs for power, would you use a) green/white-green as one pair and orange/white-orange as the other, or b) green/orange as one pair and white-green/white-orange as the other, or c) it doesn't matter? Assume the other two pairs are used for video and RS485.

Best,

Christopher

I've seen it wired many different ways for power, and not really much difference.

But if you can, try to use more than one pair for power if using Cat5.

don't double up the pairs on video signal baluns though.

Try to use the twists to your advantage whenever you can. (b) is my answer.

One of the balun sets I use has Orange pair for Video,

Green pair not used, Blue and Brown tied together for Dc Ground, and Blue/White, Brown/white used for +12V dc.

but 24vac is a better way to go imho.

I generally use the blue pair for video (blue +, white/blue -), orange and green pairs for power (orange pair for hot, green for neutral on AC; or orange for +, green for ground with DC), and leave the brown pair as a spare (future additional video, RS485, or whatever). The brown can always be separated and added to the power lines if a little more thickness is needed there, although I haven't yet run into a need for it.

Seeing as the twists are designed to aid noise cancellation and reduce cross-pair capacitance in the upper-MHz range, I really don't see them having any significant effect at 50/60Hz (I doubt it would even be measurable with any but the most sensitive gear), and none at all at DC.

Thanks for the responses. I saw some low-voltage power plugs with two screw terminals in a Youtube video that would work well with either 18AWG or a pair of 24AWG Cat5 wires. Do you have any preferences for pigtails, power plugs, etc. The Samsung SVD-4400 just has some wires for power. I used some twist-on connectors, but would prefer to add a plug for easy connect/disconnect.

Best,

Christopher

I like the plug style on the dual-voltage CNBs... near as I can tell (haven't actually tested the theory), they're the same as the connectors on the Pelco box cams we use, as well as the IQEye box cams... interchangeability between manufacturers is a big plus for me. The screw terminals and recessed pins on the supply side makes them easy to connect and leave hanging without worry of them shorting against anything.

I like the plug style on the dual-voltage CNBs...

Do you have a compatible part number that you like for cameras that do not come with a plug?

Best,

Christopher

^What's the video link?

Found it ...

Best,

Christopher

i like that power connector, could be useful for bullets and domes with that type of power lead. though it seems some of the new bullets are even using the same kind that CNB uses, which is nice, even a cheap $30 color IR bullet I have here has that.

Thanks for the responses. I saw some low-voltage power plugs with two screw terminals in a Youtube video that would work well with either 18AWG or a pair of 24AWG Cat5 wires. Do you have any preferences for pigtails, power plugs, etc. The Samsung SVD-4400 just has some wires for power. I used some twist-on connectors, but would prefer to add a plug for easy connect/disconnect.

Best,

Christopher

these are always good to keep in your tool box .

55mmcctvcamerapowerplugconnector45708n-1.jpg

I usually still utilize the twist even when doubling up on power somehow in my test here it seems to work better.

What problems or visual artifacts did you notice when you did not twist AC power?

Best,

Christopher

Just curious, the screw heads are recessed, but are they hot when powered, or is there insulation between the screws and the flange that constricts and holds the wires?

Best,

Christopher

I usually still utilize the twist even when doubling up on power somehow in my test here it seems to work better.

What problems or visual artifacts did you notice when you did not twist AC power?

Best,

Christopher

I think it keeps it from inducing interference into the video wires

I purchased a couple bags. I can connect and disconnect with one hand while holding a camera in the other hand. An excellent find.

Best,

Christopher

I purchased a couple bags. I can connect and disconnect with one hand while holding a camera in the other hand. An excellent find.

Best,

Christopher

What brand are they?

ah no cant afford that here .. thats nearly $100 time as its landed for a ten pack, beanies only cost us a couple bucks or there are terminal strips from radio shack for cheap also .. thanks for the link though

ah no cant afford that here .. thats nearly $100 time as its landed for a ten pack, beanies only cost us a couple bucks or there are terminal strips from radio shack for cheap also .. thanks for the link though

Sorry, I don't understand. What costs $100?

Best,

Christopher

Sorry, I don't understand. What costs $100?

Best,

Christopher

The 10 pack @ $14.95 on amazon. Landed here thats around $90-100.

If it were at a distributor in Miami I could bring them in cheaper, but not from Amazon.