antdickens

portable / mobile DVR

I have been asked to install CCTV inside a car. Does anybody know of a portable DVR which i could stick in the boot (robust hard drive!!!)

Anyone had any experience with this type of install?

I was thinking of 2 cameras, porbably small bullet cameras.

Taking the power from the car battery, 12V

The cameras are to look out of the car windows!

We have single camera & 4 camera mobile dvrs with audio on the single camera both with 160 Gb Hdds. The single camera units are badged as Deawoo units & have very good search functions.

These are very popular with the local authorities for fly tipping, neighbours from hell etc.

We can also supply single camera digital walkmans (with built in screen for setup) which work on 12 volt.

If you want I can PM you prices & specs.

I have been asked to install CCTV inside a car. Does anybody know of a portable DVR which i could stick in the boot (robust hard drive!!!)....

Taking the power from the car battery, 12V

our DiREX-Pro.A30 can be a smart solution for you:

- operation temperature range: -20...+65°C;

- temperature gradient: 60° /hour;

- high vibration stability...

http://www.bwa-technology.de/download/direx_pro/dpro.40&a30.pdf

UK availability by VT:

http://www.videortechnical.de/system/web/en/products/productSubgroup.php?area=SD&group=A70&subgroup=A7060

yeppers... I've done quite a few vehicle installs - they can be tricky.

Keep in mind that 12V NGF is an average... it'll actually fluctuate sharply anywhere from ~7V to as high as ~20V, in some cases.

DVRs can be *very* voltage sensitive. If at all possible, run a "stand alone" system off of batteries. If you *have* to run off of the veh battery... make sure to do some good voltage regulation and install good circuit protection.

Having no idea what the intended use is for the cameras, I can't comment on camera selection.

There are plenty of mobile DVRs out there... it seems like there is a new system every few months. I don't feel like I have enough direct experience with a wide range of them to be able to personally recommend one over any other. Here's a link to what looks like a fairly comprehensive list of units that I've seen -

http://www.globalsources.com/manufacturers/Mobile-DVR.html

Oh yeah... be careful playing around any computer modules in the car...you let the smoke out of one of those, and it costs maga bucks to get the smoke put back in... same with the air bag..(darn magic smoke!)

Are there any compact Mobile DVRs that are motion activated?

I looked at the RCA Lyra and a few other "worlds smallest" dvrs but none are motion activated.

if there is one out there please let me know.

(I would prefer one that can record about 2-3 hours of video but smart card ones would do the job too)

Why motion activated? The minute you start driving you will be in motion..haha

I have one in my car, always motion

scottj

Oops once again my post is too vague.

The person I installed the camera for only wants to see whos snooping around at night around the car. He doesn't want to go through 8 hours of tape while the car is parked. I told him he'll have to turn it off manually during the day. Unless there is a mini DVR that can do scheduled motion recording like the big ones.

will the cameras see outside, from inside the car? I dont think they will see that well, not to mention the drain it will put on the car battery

Cant they mount a cam on the house or something, zoomed in on the car?

Why not stick a wireless camera in the car , tune it in to a vcr or dvr.

If all they want is to see is whose snooping around the car

The camera can see well enough. We hooked it up to a in-dash Pioneer DVD unit. All thats missing is recording....motion activated recording:)

Goalie

We use a Daewoo mobile unit that has very good motion detection & easy serching conditions.

We supply them to local goverments to catch people dumping garbage.

If you PM me your e-mail address then I will send you a spec sheet (I don't know how to attach it here.

Daewoo ?? Thats like buying a penny for a dollar down here, thats the brand we buy refurbished from the back of trucks . ..

What about the car battery though?

Anyways, email me it and ill post the link here ..

Rory