britchie911

good day time pictures, at night images become snow static

My system has pretty good day time pictures, but at night the images become very poor with static/snow (some shots better than others).

Does anyone had an idea on what is causing the nighttime problem (i.e snow)? I've tried new cabling and termination without any improved results. Any advice on the white halo's (IR related I suspect) would also be welcome.

My system consist of:

-Avermedia NV5000 (+ two avermedia 4 cam expansion boards = 12 cams)

-mixture of inexpensive cameras (although Cams 8 &11 are CNBs.... VBM-24VF)

-LTS 12vdc18 amp Power supply (1 amp @ camera....can over amperage cause problems?)

- cable runs of 50 – 150 feet (I am using different types of cables, most are 95% copper 18awg siamese; although one is a lower guage (see cam 9) and one other is a pre-terminated & not 95% copper (learner only after installed & trying to splice).

My problem is on cameras with high grade cables so i did not think this to be the cause and didn't want to unnecessarily rewire...but I who knows, I would if needed).

I've attached two pictures one day time, the other at night.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Brad

257844752_Day10_28_10.jpg.127ce8cff0bc5d0de07ed67ce941d217.jpg

1614231823_Night10_27_10.jpg.f179ed399f437fd7a47fe6880e0c08bd.jpg

Yep, that snow is caused by the camera trying to adjust for the lack of light in the scene. You'll notice your IR cameras aren't doing it.

The IR halo on 1,2,5 is because there is too much IR shining back into the camera.

1) The IR halo on 1,2,5 is because there is too much IR shining back into the camera.

2) You'll notice your IR cameras aren't doing it

New/related questions/info...

1a) Besides New cameras how(if) can I eliminate the problem of IR Halo?

2a) Except for the CNBs...All of the cams are IR.

I was considering purchasing these cams parts for an affordable upgrade. Anyone have experience with SONY 3172DSP digital +639 design??

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/540TVL-Double-Plate-1%7B47%7D3-SONY-CCD-Module-Board,-MTV-lens-0.01Lux.html

Would the fact this cam is rated at .01lux help my problem with snow?

Thanks.

The IR halo on 1,2,5 is because there is too much IR shining back into the camera.

Besides New cameras how(if) can I eliminate the problem of IR Halo?

You can try to seperate the IR portion with a piece of foam or something basically blocking the light from bouncing back into the lens.

You could do everything in the book but the cameras probably just cant handle IR that well. Only way to get a perfect picture at night is to use visible light and either a Color Camera or a BW only camera (with Ir or visible). On a flip side, the VBM-24VF does handle IR very well in my testing with an EX26 LED, while other cameras I have tested do not, even expensive True Day Night bullets. Even under artificial lighting though I have had True Day Night cameras which produce alot of noise, bottom line is some, well ALOT of cameras just suck at night. All Day Night cameras are going to try to compensate though, some more than others, and if they cant handle it thats where the noise comes in, even with visible light and if it stays in color, many do produce noise - but not all. If the camera has additional settings those can sometimes be adjusted to produce a better picture. Have to understand a single Day Night camera is trying to do the job of 2 totally different cameras. The best one can do is get it to the point that one can see, even if there is some noise, that is normally acceptable under low to no visible light. Also a lower F-stop lens may help but thats going too deep for this application.

New/related questions/info...

1a) Besides New cameras how(if) can I eliminate the problem of IR Halo?

2a) Except for the CNBs...All of the cams are IR.

Cam1

Bush blocking some of the IR, that makes a big diff and can reflect back causing the halo effect

area is too large for a cheap color IR to cover, need much more IR

Cam2

fence is blocking some of the IR, move the camera away from the fence.

that is probably also causing the halo effect due to the IR reflecting off the fence back onto the lens.

Cam4

IR is working well there, better even if you adjust the view up some more.

And move that cable (?) out of the way.

Cam5

its a big area for a cheap color IR to cover

its under an eave so it could be getting some reflection from that

it looks like its up too high for its IR to really work well

it could also be dirty

Cam6

Need a better Camera and more IR.

Cam7

Should be fine without IR with a good TDN camera like the VBM-24VF

Move the Camera so the IR does not hit the fence

Cam9

Any Color IR camera should work there maybe you just got a bad one

Take the cover off to verify it is not that.

make sure nothing is close to the camera to cause IR reflection

Cam10

Need a better camera and more IR

Sorry run out of time.

But deal with 1 camera at a time, 1 a night or until you get that camera the best THAT camera can get.

Take down one of the VBM-24VFs and test that at each bad location, those are good cameras under low light and Infrared.

We really need a larger image of each camera to be able to give a better opinion though.

On camera 3 you just have to be kind of realistic. Look how wide and far of an area that you want to cover with a IR camera with limited IR LEDs. To get that picture clear at night you need an ICR camera and lots of IR LEDs with wide angles and strong ones too

On camera 3 you just have to be kind of realistic. Look how wide and far of an area that you want to cover with a IR camera with limited IR LEDs. To get that picture clear at night you need an ICR camera and lots of IR LEDs with wide angles and strong ones too

I agree, thats actually good for a basic Color IR Camera

I mean there is noise, but we can still see

although this is a worst case scenario Color IR Camera, check this:

colorIRvsTDNIR.jpg

Now same ECL-598HIM TDN camera as above, but with the onboard IR removed and an EX26 Infrared Illuminator Added, with IR power level actually turned down 1/4 - left, BW no IR, right, with EX26 IR

tdnnoir.jpgtdnwex26.jpg

Also this is another TDN IR Bullet in pitch dark, notice how far the IR goes on this one.

its still noisy and a little blurry though. But there are some more expensive Color IR bullets that shoot out as much or even more IR than this. The Cheap Color IR cameras normally dont though.

b2760eg1.jpg

Now .. i havent finished .. for the OP:

True Day Night Camera set to Color only mode - Iris open more, less

cnbbigbulletclr.jpgbigbulletcnbsm.jpg

mid ranged color IR (1/3")

vteg1.jpg

cheap color IR (1/3")

cheapColorIR1.jpg

cheaper color IR (1/4")

cheapColorIR.jpg

All that and in the end this is where I am at .. far as im concerned best shots for what I need to see at night .. though I may add a dusk to dawn light on cam 3 and go color, and replace the TDN lens on cam 1 as I broke the IR Cut on that. BTW these are all old 2nd hand cameras: So see it takes time to get right, and you DO have alot more cameras to deal with, but as you are buying new cameras, it should make life easier once you get what is needed and add the right amount of light.

mee.jpg