Sign in to follow this  
Electryko

Random IP cams lose connection sometimes

Hello,

I have a problem that happens with several NVR systems.

The network connection between the server and a camera is lost.

It happens on a random camera and i have seen it on several systems.

I would like to know where to search for the problem.

I have a system with a Genetec Omnicast server and Axis209MFD-R and Sony Ipela IP cams. All the devices are connected together with AlliedTelesyn POE switches.

The Ipelá's never fail but the Axis209's lose their connection once every 3 weeks. (random camera). After reset of the switch it works again. (no ping, no http connection)

The same system i have at another customer but instead of Omnicast it's using a Griffid 3.0 server, the same problem.

(ping works but no webconnection or live stream)

After changing the switches for Netgear POE switches the mtbf changed, now a random camera fails every 3 months.

(the Axis cams are inside elevators of a 14 story building)

Another system with Genetec Omnicast and Bosch Gen4 domes and a system with Indigovision Control Center and Videobridge8000's in combination with Wavesight transceivers have the same problems. (HP L3 switches and Blackbox)

This far i've checked the networkload and the bandwith of the connections. I also checked the CPU load of the servers and clients. I also checked all the network cables and connectors with a Proffesional Networkscanner for possible defects.

There all within spec.

In most IP systems a connection is sometimes lost but within seconds it's back. My problem is that the camera connection doesn't come back by it self and i have to go to the customer to reset the camera.

Can anyone help me?

ElectrYko

Hi, I'm not familiar with the specific software You're using but strange phenomenons can occur if the software isn't fully compatible with the camera. If you don't have the exact driver for a specific camera it might work properly if You set it up to act as some similar camera - for a while, but occasionally things like those you describe can happen. Also make sure that the recording software supports the specific firmware version in the camera. I've had some similar issues with IQeye and Milestone, but after downgrading the camera's firmware to the level supported by the correct device pack it works great.

I've had some similar issues with IQeye and Milestone, but after downgrading the camera's firmware to the level supported by the correct device pack it works great.

Thanks Ted,

I didn't mention the Milestone server in this topic but after reading your post i realise i have a customer with the same configuration. There 60 IP cams on a Milestone server and we started at megapix resolution. Because we lost connection sometimes we set the resolution to VGA. The system became must faster but still the camera's lost connection.

Because the serverload was 43% I searched deeper into the machine. One of the partitions had no diskspace left to buffer the live streams and made the processor work so hard that the livestreams to the client where disconnected sometimes.

Sorting the camera's on the partions solved this problem but still sometimes there's a lost connection. I will check the firmware.

Thanks,

ElectrYko

After a lot of trial and error the following:

The Axis209 problem did not return after the 4.47.1 and 4.47.2 firmware update.

This update solved the problem with videoloss when no timeserver IP was used in the camera.

The update wasn't released at the the time i did start this topic.

After a lot of trial and error the following:

The Axis209 problem did not return after the 4.47.1 and 4.47.2 firmware update.

This update solved the problem with videoloss when no timeserver IP was used in the camera.

The update wasn't released at the the time i did start this topic.

hi i also have encountered this problem in Bosch Megapixel NWC-0800 IP camera.

maybe i should update the firmware.