LordSabre

Apartment building 15 Cameras

I just purchased an apartment building and need to upgrade the CCTV system. Currently only 3 cameras out of 4 working and the dvr box just gave me a blue screen 2 days ago.

This is the layout of the building (the one in the blue box):

aptk-1.jpg

Gotta love google!

The single green lines are the north and south entrances. The green box in the middle is main lobby/entrance, its same as the building across (which is visible in the light). I am gonna be using an avermedia NV6480EXP card.

Outdoor: I want 4 weatherproof (canadian winters) outdoor cameras, 1 looking north from the main lobby, another looking south from the main lobby and 1 each at the front and back of the building. Whats are your thoughts for b&w vs colour? Its mainly so the cars don't get broken into or people don't damage stuff in the backyard/front. I also need it so I can see remotely if the snow removal is done properly. What kind of cameras am I looking at? Also my liability ends at the blue line so I don't necessarily need to see past that. Its a 3 storey building so I have some height I can work with if needed. Also for light source, there are 4 halogens directed onto the cars on the side of the building, 1 for the back of the building and street lights at the front.

Indoor: I need 1 camera at the main entrance, debating if they are necessary at the other entrances (probably might do it anyway). I was thinking of getting a PTZ camera, are they controllable remotely/via iPhone? Does it need to be day/night as the green box I marked is glass. Should it be an IP MP? The lobby also divides the 3 floors into 2 wings, what kind of cameras am I looking at here? The only real reason for even having the cameras there is to make sure there are no fire exit obstacles like furniture/bicycles/supplies left in the hallways.

Any suggestions regarding which cameras or which camera specifications are welcome!

Thanks,

Josh

I would definitely go with color for all cameras. Color helps capture a lot of details that you don't get with B/W.

For outside; get true day-night cameras. This means they display color in the day (with an IR filter in place to show accurate color), and take away the infrared filter and switch to B/W during low light (night). This is kind of like the best of both worlds.

http://cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product_list.php?maxx=1&midx=5

My recommendation for the outdoor cameras is from the VxM line with the Monalisa chip from CNB. They are popular here, work well in very low light, and are actually rather inexpensive. These cameras have a vari-focal lens, which means you can set it to a wide view, or zoom in to a narrow view.

For the indoor camera looking in the lobby, I might go for a WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) camera if it is to be looking at bright light sources (like at the entrance). With a WDR camera, the difference in light doesn't wash out parts of the image.

http://cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product_list.php?maxx=1&midx=279&smxx=184

Again from CNB, they have a line of WDR cameras called Blue-i. They work well, and also are rather inexpensive compared to their counterparts. I would only go for the ones with the true double-scan technology. That's the real WDR.

Both the lines I suggested come in box, dome, and vandal-dome styles. You should use the Vandal-dome style for anything outdoor, as its IP66 rated. Or use the box style with a weatherproof enclosure.

Indoors, you can save some money and go with a normal dome or box which isn't weatherproof. If there is a posibility of people trying to bash in the cameras, stick with vandal-proof style. They are very hard to bust.

thanks! Its hard to find cnb cameras in canada apparently, although I have asked a few for quotes. What are some other reputable companies? Read KT&T somewhere. Also read a lot about getting sony chips but I see many of the various companies use sony chips.

thanks! Its hard to find cnb cameras in canada apparently, although I have asked a few for quotes. What are some other reputable companies? Read KT&T somewhere. Also read a lot about getting sony chips but I see many of the various companies use sony chips.

Sony chip doesn't mean anything. The camera can still be crap. I don't know KT&T. There are many very good Camera Manufacturers, but most of them are MUCH more expensive than CNB. Samsung, Panasonic, Pelco, etc - just to name a few.

Now, this is all analogue we are talking about. For IP it looks little different. The first quastion should be "What's your budget?".

There should be plenty of reputable online retailers that will sell to you.

Sony doesn't really mean anything anymore. Most all cheap cameras use some sort of sony chip, its the cheapie-standard.

Soon I'm sure others will comment with other suggestions. All I know is CNB

He probably meant KT&C, being a manufacturer like CNB that sells direct to the retailers and distributors, they are not expensive. You can buy CNB and KT&C from most online stores.

thanks! Its hard to find cnb cameras in canada apparently, although I have asked a few for quotes.

Where in Canada are you?

Hmm, we get them from a local distributor (here in BC), who I believe gets them shipped from the US... whether direct from CNB, I don't know.

I'd suggested contacting CNB USA and asking them about authorized resellers.