I have a job where I need a large amount of encoders to replace 16 channel DVRs so I am looking at the ACD-2400 or the Axis blade solutions. I know the Axis solution will work but I have not used the ACTi encoder. I could save the customer alot of money going with ACTI but I am not going to recommend some thing that doesn't work. Feed back from anyone?

I don't think I've ever had an issue with an ACTi encoder... well there was one, but it was a "refurbished" unit.

All in all, I think ACTi's encoders are where there product shines. I've had plenty of camera issues and their recording software has been nothing but problems, but nothing really on the encoders to complain about.

This is from a distribution perspective. My years working as Technical Sales for a major distributor, feedback from customers, and return rates.

Side note: you can get a higher density solution with the AXIS rackmount solution and 6CH blade solution.

I've worked with the single and four channel units (which have been working fine, 2+ years), I haven't used the 16 channel units, but I wouldn't expect any problems.

I dont like the Acti ActiveX.

Its very heavy, one of the worst Ive dealt with.

Axis on the other hand is great in that area.

If you will never use the ActiveX then its no problem.

I dont like the Acti ActiveX.

Its very heavy, one of the worst Ive dealt with.

Axis on the other hand is great in that area.

If you will never use the ActiveX then its no problem.

That's the truth.

I prefer browser-agnostic software whenever I can get it, but I'd take a nice, lightweight Active-X client.

Unfortunately, the Acti client is NOT that client. It works, but really bogs down the client machine... and it chokes badly on any kind of low-bandwidth connection.

I wonder how many Exacq licences it needs.

According to Exacq, one license per MAC/device, no matter how many channels.

Yea and that encoder only uses one IP address according to the manual. The one thing I do not like with the 16 channel unit which I will be using, it's only 10/100 for 16 channels.

Edited by Guest

So you can get four channels of video on a single license? Wow... Milestone, Luxriot, etc charge you per-channel... so a four-port Axis server requires four licenses.

So you can get four channels of video on a single license? Wow... Milestone, Luxriot, etc charge you per-channel... so a four-port Axis server requires four licenses.

Exacpt for the Axis 4704 that has 4 IP address. So the 16 channel Acti encoder I am looking at requires one Exacq license. The job I am spec'ing needs 11 of them so yea gonna save a lot of money with Exacq

Exacpt for the Axis 4704 that has 4 IP address. So the 16 channel Acti encoder I am looking at requires one Exacq license. The job I am spec'ing needs 11 of them so yea gonna save a lot of money with Exacq

That's good to know... VERY good to know. Thanks!

That's good to know... VERY good to know. Thanks!

Now keep in mind I haven't tested this encoder so until I do for don't believe anything

Yea and that encoder only uses one IP address according to the manual. The one thing I do not like with the 16 channel unit which I will be using, it's only 10/100 for 16 channels.

For your reference, Max bitrate per stream is 3mbps on that device. 16x3Mbps = 48Mbps.

The Acti encoders works great in ExacqVision.

You will need one license per channel. When you add the device in EV, you need to add the same device multiple times (one time per channel). Each channel responds to a separate http port. Channel 1 = port 800, Channel 2 = 801 and so on. If you try to connect to a multi port Acti encoder on port 80 (as you would do with a single channel Acti encoder) it will not work.

//Emil

The Acti encoders works great in ExacqVision.

You will need one license per channel. When you add the device in EV, you need to add the same device multiple times (one time per channel). Each channel responds to a separate http port. Channel 1 = port 800, Channel 2 = 801 and so on. If you try to connect to a multi port Acti encoder on port 80 (as you would do with a single channel Acti encoder) it will not work.

//Emil

So how many licenses did you need for 16 channel?

Yes, Exacq takes 1 licence per each analogue channel. Once earlier we requested Exacq about this scheme and they confirmed it.

I would recommend also as a solution take a look at Avigilon. They have 4-analogue channels encoder with 720x576 and 25 fps per each channel. And the price is less in comparison with 4-channel Axis encoder with 25 fps per channel.

Moreover Avigilon takes 1 license for 1 IP channel (i.e. for their 4-port encoder we need one license). Software price could show onself expensive you have to compare full solution, for example price for each analogue channel of encoder on Milestone or Exacq and price per IP channel on Avigilon.

We implemented many systems with Avigilon and their encoders also. 3-year warranty, good image quality, simple user interface and their software with possibilities for further expansions with IP cameras (recently they unveiled 4.6 version ONVIF complaint and broad range of 3rd party IP cameras).

OK so here is the list for Exacq that I know to be true from my tests. Feel free to add to the list

One Exacq license

AXIS: 4Port

240Q

241Q

241QA

Four Exacq Licenses

Axis: 4Port

Q7404

Edited by Guest

I would recommend also as a solution take a look at Avigilon.

How much is an Avigilon license?

Best,

Christopher

See in PM Christopher