Toaster

Q-See QC444 DVR Consumer's Mini-Review

I'm not a professional or anything, I'm a simple guy who own's a store and wanted video surveillance security camera setup at my store on the cheap. A little searching online found many options in the $300 price range, with camera's. While I'm sure these systems are not up to par with what professionals use and install, that is not this products bundle target audience either. I actually bought this Q-see bundle, and a Clover bundle. I'm going to write my opinion and review of the dvr bundles - this is the kind of information I would have liked to read before actually buying. I'm lucky in the sense I had the ability to buy, try and return or exchange as needed - and since I needed (wanted) 2 systems (one for home and one for business) I bought 1 of each to compare.

The basics of both systems are this: They come with 500gb HDD, 4 channel DVR's and 4 night vision camera's with mounts.

547703-1.jpg

Q-see QC444 DVR with 500GB hard drive (and the bundle came with 4x 40ft 27ir led's night vision cameras, cables, power supplies, 1 4x splitter for cameras, cat5 internet cable, usb mouse and remote control, manuals and some software)

Recording is flexible, allows you to choose each channel recording quality, resolution, schedule, motion, continuous, etc... Also allow's you to choose the quality of remote viewing stream for mobile smartphone's (iphone, blackberry, etc). It will record D1 (max) at 7FPS across each of the 4 channels, and claims it will record D1 on CH1 at 30FPS and CIF on chan 2, 3 & 4 at 30FPS - but I choose D1 across all channels. Initially I didn't like 7FPS at D1 - I wanted 30FPS at D1, after reading on this forum I realized 7FPS for security purposes is fine, as someone mentioned to me "You're not making a movie, you're recording security footage". The included 500GB hdd seems to record about 10 to 14 days, which is plenty to me. They are upgradable to 1tb drives which are cheap - but I don't think I need more than 10+ days of surveillance.

The unit will email you on notification of motion on a channel(s), even if you're set to record continuously, and you can set time frame for motion which is great for businesses! I only want to know if there's motion when I'm closed.

Its viewable from web browser but Internet Explorer ONLY (claims other browsers too (chrome, firefox), but that doesn't seem to work for me as it requires activex controls and weblets - I think that was a typo or maybe left over in the manual, specs and brochure from another q-see product?), you can view from Windows using software and Mac OSX using software (both free and downloadable from the q-see site). Internet explorer setup does require you to manually disable some activex security options - which I don't like... but after it does work, and you can log in, view, search and remote backup and even configure the options of the dvr.. Configuring on the PC using a real monitor, mouse and keyboard is fantastic compared to using a TV (in my case) and the on screen display and mouse of the DVR it self... The software that Q-see gives you for Windows/Mac is VERY COMPLICATED. I guess if you're in the industry it make's sense, but to the rest of us - ITS JUST PLAIN COMPLICATED. The web version is more intuitive (and its a little complicated!) again, YMMV.

Give's you control to overlay timestamp, channel # or custom tag on each video stream - and you can adjust the position of time stamp or custom tag.

Email setup does support SSL so a GMAIL account will work. This seems to be an issue in other DVR's - I may be wrong?

The video quality seems ok. I don't have much to compare it against - but I've got it set for D1 at 7FPS on all 4 channels, and it seems ok... Again, I'm no pro - so I don't have much to compare it against security camera wise. I personally think its just OK... Adequate and I doubt for $300 complete its going to get much better, considering I've seen single camera's sell for $300 each.

It has LOTS of configurable options. Using the remote control is possible but difficult. The mouse makes it so much easier. And you can configure it on your local network using a PC, which is nice.

Smartphone viewing is done through a free application that must be downloaded and installed on your phone. iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Android.. You have to setup a DDNS server, which is free and again, very simple. Network setup was pretty easy, but I had to manually enter DNS settings - even during DHCP connections. And you'll need to be able to setup port forwarding on your router in order to remote access the dvr. Make sure you understand what that is, means and how to do it before hand and you'll save yourself a lot of headache.

The quality of video on smartphones is pretty good - its CIF at 7FPS or QCIF at 30FPS, and this is selectable on the DVR (not on the phone darn it! Would've been nice to switch on the fly). The iPhone app (the only one I've used) does also go FULL SCREEN VIDEO when you rotate the phone landscape, or back to smaller size when in portrait with all the options and controls. The app says it will control PTZ cameras, but I don't have any so I can't comment on that.

Backing up the video, and in fact searching the video is NOT INTUITIVE (at least not to me). The output video is a proprietary .dav format, and you have to download and install a windows player that will also convert to .avi. Conversion is pretty quick, but I think that's a stupid design flaw - it should record and store in a more standard format! IMO the only time to extract video from the dvr is for playback on a pc or other system, so it should NOT be in a proprietary format! I don't like this. Searching for video is cumbersome, you have to select channel, time, date, etc - then search the "block" its recorded in (which is adjustable but...) If I know I want to see what happened at 9:32pm I want to see ONLY THAT - I don't want to download or view from 9:00 to 10:00 or whatever block size you have set. And while you can review all 4 channels at the same time, if you're highlighting a single channel - that's the only one you'll forward or reverse. NOT ALL 4. Again, bad design. It too easy to mistakenly search 1 channel accidentally - I think it would be nicer to search/ffw/rev all channels by default - and force it to search one channel separately... But this might be just me..

Time sync requires a PC on the local network, setup to deliver the time to the DVR - Not sure why exactly? I don't understand why I can't set it up to sync the time with one of the MANY time servers on the internet?

The DVR has a single LAN wire port, and must be connected directly to your router, switch, hub, etc... NO WIFI.

The quick on the camera's: I think the camera's are just OK. They are indoor/outdoor 1/4 sony CCD night vision camera's. 420TVL of resolution. They have 27 IR LED's and claim 40ft night vision, which they do - maybe more! All aluminum body, shade hood, and mount with hidden cabling as option. two of them were 3.6mm wide angle, and two were 6mm narrow angle. The wire hides in the center of the mount, so you have the option of completely hiding the cable in the wall or ceiling or whatever hallow mounting surface. And of course it has a gap in one spot for exterior cable routing. So mounting options are flexible, and once you set them - you can lock everything in place... mounting options are good imo.

The night vision is B/W and the camera's lens glow RED in the dark from the IR LEDs. I see good and bad in this. Good that one can visually see them in the dark and know there are camera's on... Bad that you can visually see them in the dark and know WHERE the camera's are in the dark. The range is easily what they claim, maybe further. Objects closer to the camera's in the dark get white washed out by the bright IR light. And reflective objects show pure white. I'm sure this is the case with all camera's? And this may be fixable in adjusting the DVR.

The daytime video is pretty good, the only bad thing (in my opinion) is when there are shadow area's and bright sun area's on the screen at the same time - the shadow area is almost completely black and not viewable.

Closing thoughts:

At the $300 price range, I think this is a more than acceptable system. The narrow view camera's have an extremely limited viewing angle! The wide angle is not very wide to me, so you can imagine how narrow the narrow ones are! The setup is not super easy, but I think anyone with basic computer knowledge should be able to set this up pretty easily. Tech support is very hard to get on the phone and basically useless once you get them. After waiting for +1 hour for them on hold, they tried to shuffle me off the phone in under a minute - I got upset and explained I had waited for an hour to talk with them, and would appreciate 5 uninterrupted minutes of conversation and support instead of simple 1 word replies and efforts to hang up (ie: Will that be all sir?) VERY LOUSY TECH SUPPORT. The manual is ok, but you need to be somewhat tech savvy to understand what its saying and even then its not 100% clear at all times.

CONS:

Proprietary .DAV format for backing up video.

Slow FPS for D1 resolution.

Little complicated to setup (little).

Doesn't sync time automatically with free time servers online.

Requires separate application for mobile phone viewing.

Search and backup of video is complicated.

NON EXISTENT TECHNICAL SUPPORT - VERY DISAPPOINTING.

PROS:

Cheap and complete.

Very flexible recording options PER CHANNEL.

Decent quality video.

Supports Gmail/SSL email accounts for notifications.

Very flexible configurations and recording options. Can cater to just about any environment.

Silent operation.

Mobile viewing on multiple smart phone platforms, all the most popular.

Thank you very much for your review! Reading though an end-user's perspective is very beneficial to people like myself. I regularly sell and install single cameras that cost twice the price of your entire system. LOL! But seriously, the typical home owner/ end user is a huge market and something I wouldn't mind having a piece of. However, I'm pretty skeptical of such a CHEAP PRICE! Holy cow buddy! Straight from China for sure!

I'd love to see sample still shots.

Also, please update us in a few months after you've had more time to use the system. I'd be curious if you can get the footage you need when/if something happens.

One last question... In hindsight, how much more would you be willing to pay next time if you actually had tech support? That's something that I really pride myself and company in providing for free. But obviously it's an expensive promise to make to people, especially to the average end-user who can be technically-challenged.

Thanks again!

Actually we had an attempted break in (or vandalism) at the store soon after installing the cameras. They were recording in D1. I wasn't going to do much, since I couldn't see the license plate because of the headlights, or the persons face because the front door camera is mounted too high to prevent vandals from messing with it.

On the advice of my son, I called and reported the incident to the local police, who after hearing me describe the vehicle and the person, started telling ME the color of the persons clothes, vehicle, etc - I said I captured it on camera - he asked if I could burn off a copy - and I did. I explained it wasn't the best quality but he asked if I wouldn't mind. Of course I did.

Turn's out, these kids had a history of this vandalism and robbery's in the area, the police forensics said they were able to make out a plate number, and caught the guys! To which they confessed their crime spree... It's a great story --- And my son is who made me even report it in the first place.... so the quality was good enough to see the type of vehicle it was, see identifying marks like damage, etc... and apparently even a plate number.

As for tech support and cost... Here's the deal - I'm in retail business and so I can totally appreciate the concept of you get what you pay for. And support in general is important regardless of what you buy or what you pay. However, as a consumer, I can tell you - if the price would have been double - I wouldn't have a camera system, I simply couldn't afford it. The only reason I personally bought these were because of price. Otherwise I would have gone in another direction - A cheaper direction.

So not to take anything away from the professional installers or their equipment - WHICH I KNOW IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER THAN THESE CHEAPO BUNDLES! The only reason I wrote this thread was because as more small business owners, simple home owners, and joe public (ie: cheap skates like me) decide they would like low cost video security - information like this would be helpful to someone - maybe...? Would I rather have a professional grade setup with high end cameras, top of the line dvr, professionally installed - of course... But I couldn't afford it, and I knew that.

I will for sure check back in at a later time and write more information in this thread about this setup... for sure. And I truly hope others will contribute to this thread with information, details and questions! This is how we ALL learn.

Its a dahua DVR. I have the same one here, except its with HDMI. I get the one like you got for really cheap (sell retail for more though especially down here with 50% duty). These are the best sub $300 DVRs ive used yet, blows away Avermedia's EB models and many others Ive used or tested, even ones that cost alot more.

In the US a couple others distribute these, or the HDMI versions, the most well known being Intellicam. The other, the one I use, is XTSvideo.

Qsee may have customized the remote video software though so it might look different, but this is basically what it looks like from the manufacturer and other distributors: Yours should look somewhat similar?

dahuachrome.jpg

kjhj.jpg

And yes they have the Mac version just released last month.

However it is slow so I feel it is emulated, perhaps using some form of WINE.

pssmaceg.jpg

pssmaceg2.jpg

And oh yeah here it is their SDK in my custom software: I run this almost all day in full screen.

lvxtseg1c.jpg

lvxtseg4b.jpg

Yes it has draw backs, such as when you change to variable bit rate for some reason it gets stuck on that, even when you set it back to CBR. Even a firmware update does not put it back as it just updates certain things. The PSS software is heavy as hell, hey it has 60MB of skin BMPs but it seems the developers used a Super Computer for that. I hacked some of the resource images out of it myself and made a stand alone version, no need to install the software (actually it comes like that, uses XML instead of Database and all dependency files included in the path), also made everything greyscale except the mouse over and that makes the GUI load faster. Additionally I got rid of the PTZ and other items on the right that we never use, its all in Skin files so you can basically change what you want, even the images AND the logo. After doing all that I found a new version on Dahua's website with more playback features and havent yet hacked that one.

This new version still has that cumbersome playback but it also now has download directly to AVI. That whole player thing is absurb, but it still beats the features of the other DVRs in the $200-300 or so range. Ive found that playing it back in single view is best as then you can just click on a time/date file and it will play without asking to close or select a window. But yes multiview playback would be nice.

Yes channel 1 IS D1 30fps with the others at D1 7fps, but overall it is cropped D1 or 4CIF, 704x480.

It has a secondary stream but for most purposes it is useless, perhaps that is used for the mobile phones. Otherwise the same encoding for the local recording is used for the remote video. There is a basic option to change the bandwidth type, fluency, adaptive, or latency, I havent seen much difference.

Pro is you can download all the software for these DVRs right from the manufaturers website, Dahua, and for me at least they have an SDK for download as well, which is great. I already added it into my Remote viewer, still working on that though, but I use it almost all day long on my computer to watch my cameras, no need for the PSS software except for admin over the network.

Browser software is okay but it is heavy on some processors, I get 100% CPU on my computer, though it actually works better using IE Tabs in Google Chrome.

Recorded video isnt bad, see a sample here using a low res color bullet camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KE9f8Z3bjs

I have noticed these DVRs have alot of noise compared to others, especially under low light even when the area is blasted with Infrared, compared to the picture directly on a monitor - though they have a setting to adjust the contrast which does help.

As for your cameras, they really arent wide angle as thats 3.6mm 1/4".

If it were 1/3" 3.6mm then it would be wide angle. On that note there are many thousands or more Color IR cameras out there some the same price, I just tested 2 different cheap Color IR models and you can clearly see the difference.

QuatInchVsThirdInch.jpg

So to end, that DVR you got is actually being used by professionals, just as is the Avermedia and the Avtech (worst ive used). No its not the best in the world and the manufacturer even has better units with full D1 30fps on all 4-16 channels, but it is what it is, cheap and it works. Every DVR I have used from cheap to expensive has its flaws. Also there alot of DVRs out of China that mimick these in the features they have from the browser application to the encoding and other settings. Nice one with this is their other units have HDMI output which tested is a little clearer than the VGA in this case, but the composite output is still the clearest as these are composite DVRs.

I'd love to see sample still shots.

Ill have to let him upload some from the Qsee but this is from the Dahua XTS branded model. Most of the cameras in these images suck so its just an example, plus some are pitch dark or close to it and one even has a missing IR Cut filter in the day. These were mostly saved as a snapshot while playing back in the main PSS network software:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/xts/xtssamplebmps.zip

Thanks for the review. Does it support trigger alarms (e.g. PIR NC/NO output triggers)? (apologies if this is in the report and I missed it).

Best,

Christopher

Well those screen shots are EXACTLY what this q-see look like.... The web app looks the same, the pss software is the same. COOL!

I'd like to get that stripped down version of PSS if you can (want to) share it. Also, as for the Mac stuff - Its running some kind of emulation, because last night when I pulled off some video using the mac I was saving to "dekstop" on my macbook, but it wasn't there - so I searched the pss app folder, and found it buried inside that - like in a virtual windows layout inside the folder.. pretty strange. I'm sure Q-see is getting lots of tech support questions about that (WHERE ARE MY FILES!?) haha..

The HDMI would have been great, since I have mine hooked to my HDTV in the living room at home, I could have used the HDMI cable, but the composite is fine too..

The question about alarm triggers - It says it will do that, but this unit does not have any trigger sensors on the back...? The clover unit I bought has TONS of connections, but the Q-see didn't. ???

As for my cameras.. Yes these are 1/4 CCD 3.6mm and NOT VERY WIDE. your examples given above are excellent - THANK YOU. Where can I get good inexpensive 1/3 CCD 3.6mm wide angle outdoor ir bullet cams? PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks.

Yeah that makes sense, I now remember them saying the non HDMI unit, the cheapest one, has no POS or Alarm, which is basically so its minus all the inputs on the back and minus the HDMI to keep the cost lower, which is fine for most basic apps. My colleague has a few of those on the way now, so will see when it comes. The one I have here now has the HDMI and alarm inputs.

As for the camera, I could recommend a 3.6mm cheap Color IR, like in that image, though I dont know who sells that model in the US for retail. There are going to be many like it anyway, ofcourse never sure until you test them as cheap color IRs vary. Anyway this is the one in the images with 1/3":

http://xtsvideo.com/viewDetailProduct.aspx?productId=XTS-B42-IR&categoryId=4

@rory or anyone

Does anyone know anything about the q-see qt428 8ch dvr? is it made by the same company? (dahua) is it good/bad etc?

You wouldn't happen to know if "whatever" it is, is any good or not - would you?

Trying to decide if its worth "upgrading" to the qt428 dvr since its 8ch...

i briefly skimmed through the user manual.

it looks like it has similar features to the Dahua model, even the initial menu UI looks almost the same but the sub menu features are a little different. Actually seems like it has a couple more features such as individual encoding settings per channel for the network, which the basic Dahua does not have. Also has time line search which also the Dahua basic DVR does not have. However it doesnt seem to have any Remote Client software, only the browser activeX. Also it is called an EDVR which having used another with that name before I think it might be made by these guys: http://www.mlttech.com . Actually Sean from Nelly's on this forum had that and I tested it remotely just the browser based, and at the time also noticed the similarities between that and the Dahua. Looks like alot of these chinese companies are coming out with similar products now, or at least the GUI part of it, also all the sub stream stuff. All in all looks like it might be okay. Q-see is surely getting away from the bad rep they have by using some of these better cheap DVRs - i Know better and cheap normally dont go together, but I guess the Chinese are just getting better at producing better quality and more features for less money now. Ill check it out further.

And oh yeah, doesnt seem to have Mac software, but it does have mobile apps.

I had the QT426-811-5 from costco, and the cmos cameras are awful.

The DVR is ok.. but I had problems trying to get its remote functionality to work on IE8.

However it doesnt seem to have any Remote Client software, only the browser activeX.

And oh yeah, doesnt seem to have Mac software, but it does have mobile apps.

The mac software doesn't "affect" me too much, though I have MAC's and PC's - I'm much more of a windows/pc guy vs a Mac guy....

And while the QC444 does have that PSS software - I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! I find it MUCH easier to use the ActiveX web controls in Internet Explorer to configuring, backup, etc... PSS just flat out confuses me.

I have noticed the QC444 allows for D1 @ 30fps on CH1 ONLY, and CIF @ 30fps or D1 @ 7FPS on ch 2 thru 4.

I've got one of these QT428 on its way - I hate knowing I'm loosing features - but I'll gain 4 more channels.

I just hope I dont go passed my refund period on these! I sure don't need 3 or 4 CCTV systems.

I had the QT426-811-5 from costco, and the cmos cameras are awful.

The DVR is ok.. but I had problems trying to get its remote functionality to work on IE8.

I have the Q-see CCD camera's and they seem ok... on paper they are supposed to be better than the Clover OC175's that came with the Clover setup (which I also have at another location)... The clover cameras are 1/4 CCDs are 380TVL they say "true day/night" and have ir cut filters. The Q-see's are 420TVL, 1/4 Sony CCD, just say "Day/Night" (not "TRUE" DAY/NIGHT and I don't know if thats different?) but I will say that I think the clover camera's produce better quality images... though I need to bring one of those camera's home and check it with the Q-see DVR to make a fair comparison...

The one thing I noticed and dont like about the q-see cameras is at my house when the video has shade & bright day light, the shade area is BLACK. Doesn't handle bright spots well... The clover camera's dont do this, but they are in another location (store vs home) so until I mount one in the same spot and compare video from the same time of day, I guess I shouldnt pass judgement.

I found a web site that claims it has vandal proof outdoor domes with 1/3 sony ccd, 27 ir led's, 45 ft night vision, at a great price...?

Oh and I want to thank rory and all the members who are taking the time to read questions and post answers and comments to this thread --- It is REALLY helping me! THANKS! " title="Applause" />

The PSS is simple really, add device, IP, User and Pass, then select the first box, and then double click each camera in the list until all show up in the 4 way view. It should save that by default. Also you can make it no password so when you exit just click ok. also you can make it auto login as well so no need to enter user and pass to use the software.

send me your ip, user and pass for the DVR and i will upload a stripped down package of the latest version configured for auto login and easy exit. In a zip file its only 6.65mb or 37mb unzipped. All other features (eg. emap, alarms, audio etc) disabled except playback and edit device/user. or i can send you this and you just change the ip, user and pass in the device config. its stand alone no install needed.

I have the Q-see CCD camera's and they seem ok... on paper they are supposed to be better than the Clover OC175's that came with the Clover setup (which I also have at another location)... The clover cameras are 1/4 CCDs are 380TVL they say "true day/night" and have ir cut filters. The Q-see's are 420TVL, 1/4 Sony CCD, just say "Day/Night" (not "TRUE" DAY/NIGHT and I don't know if thats different?) but I will say that I think the clover camera's produce better quality images... though I need to bring one of those camera's home and check it with the Q-see DVR to make a fair comparison...

The one thing I noticed and dont like about the q-see cameras is at my house when the video has shade & bright day light, the shade area is BLACK. Doesn't handle bright spots well... The clover camera's dont do this, but they are in another location (store vs home) so until I mount one in the same spot and compare video from the same time of day, I guess I shouldnt pass judgement.

I found a web site that claims it has vandal proof outdoor domes with 1/3 sony ccd, 27 ir led's, 45 ft night vision, at a great price...?

I would just get the DVR and buy the cameras separate, go for at the very least 1/3" with some kind of Sony chip.

@rory : PM SENT! Thanks.

Here's a couple of things I'm talking about.. I wanted to change the CH1 and CH2 encoding options. The QC444 is at my house, and connected to my hdtv. The remote control is a little bit of a pain to use, the mouse makes it so much easier. I didn't want to go sit on the floor in front of the tv to change the encode settings, so I logged in using PSS - and I can get the playback going, but that's about where I get stuck, and I never could get it to "save" the layout - so each time I load PSS I have to re-login, re-connect to the dvr, re-launch each camera. And I never could figure out how to change any settings on the dvr.

I log in using Internet Explorer, and click CONFIG and I'm changing stuff. Much easier (to me).

As for the 8ch camera stuff... I ordered the qt428 8ch 500gb hdd with 4 ccd cameras for $300 as a kit... That's why I asked the question, its the same price, but I get 8 more channels... and of course I can always think of where to point 4 more cameras.. Directly at the front door, back door, other side of house, and have 2 cameras sweeping from each direction across the front of the house and the driveway

to configure the DVR right click on the device name, in the file I sent its named DVR, a popup menu will show Device Config, select that and then the config form will load - slow on my end trying to connect but locally by you should be fine.

the file i sent saves the live layout so as long as you dont close a window and leave it that way when you open it again it will be the same with all 4 cameras in 4 way view.

Playback doesnt seem to save any layout. I always play in full view as then dont have to close channels to click and play another event. Also this newer version has download to AVI so no need for the player. You can also click the little "hand" icon on the window and it saves a snapshot, in live or playback.

No its not the best software around, well thats why Im integrating the Dahua and other DVR's SDK into my custom live viewer.

I found the IE activeX to really throw my CPU into overload. Tend to get more options with a client also as its not dependent on the browser it is inside, eg. Full screen and resizing windows (the latter though not with this software)

Regarding the cameras, in the following image you can see you get what you pay for

TDNIRColorIR.jpg

From what I've read here (and other places) cameras seem to be the weakest link in any of these systems. But the problem is, the internet is flooded with cameras from no-name vendors that have the specs, but not the performance. And it seems like the only way to know is to try and buy, or buy based on recommendations or feedback....

Like I mentioned, on paper - the q-see 1/4 sony ccd's 420tvl seem to be better than the clover 1/4 (?manufacture?) ccd at 380tvl - but I think the quality of video is better on the clover vs the q-see....?

Does this DVR have customized bit rate? I find that alot of the budget DVR's have a low bit rate, even on the highest setting which results in a very "blocky" looking image on playback.

Does this DVR have customized bit rate? I find that alot of the budget DVR's have a low bit rate, even on the highest setting which results in a very "blocky" looking image on playback.

Yes it has adjustable bit rate for main stream and the extra stream. The extra stream is what you'll see when logging in via mobile phone for live view.

You can also set CBR or VBR. When its in VBR you can also adjust "quality" from like 1 to 6 (low to highest or something like that). I have it set to CBR at max bit rate, which is 1024k for D1 at 7FPS and I think it'll do 4096k with D1 at 30fps.

The extra stream is set for CIF 7FPS at whatever its highest bit rate is, but I can't remember what that is at the moment.

q-see qt428 8ch dvr is made by TVT, one of the good chinese dvr makers, along with dahua.