Toaster

Clover CDR 0440 DVR / Camera bundle Consumer's mini-review

I'll start this with the same topic as the Q-see QC444 thread's disclaimer. I'm not a professional or anything, I'm a simple retail store owner who wanted security camera's on the cheap. I bought a couple of $300 bundles online, and wanted to share my experiences.. This is the kind of stuff I would have liked to read before buying.

519894-1.jpg

This is the Clover CDR0440 DVR with 4x OC175 indoor/outdoor 40ft night vision cameras. System comes complete with a 500GB HDD, all needed cables, power supplies, mounts, screws, wires, mouse, remote, manuals... What you'd expect in an all-in-one bundled system.

The OSD of the DVR is very simple - and not much to see. Its very simple, and easy to setup, because it just doesn't have many options. It kind of just does what it does. Which is good and bad...read on.

Its a h264 dvr... and the HDD is upgradable to 1TB. The included 500gb HDD can record roughly 10 - 14 days of 24hour surveillance - which I think it plenty.

The recording options are global for all channels, so whatever you pick happens on all 4 channels. This was verified by clover tech support too. It will record up to D1 at 7FPS across each of the 4 channels. Again, even though the menu claims you can choose separate options for each channel, the fact is what you select for 1 channel affects all 4 channels.

It can be remotely viewed by smartphone using html web viewer... NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE REQUIRED. " title="Applause" /> The good about this is it works on many types of phone and even desktop web browsers, but there is no security with it - once you have the url - anyone can log in - no password required. On first loading the main http://your.web.address/mview url you'll get a thumbnail view of each channel - then you select what channel you want to view and it will start streaming to you. I do not know what SIZE the streaming image is, but I can tell you its roughly about 4-6 fps from my business DSL line, which is fine. I personally used it with an iPhone 4, and it works great. I DO NOT KNOW WHICH OTHER PHONES ARE SUPPORTED - SORRY. I will say the mview url works on desktop systems with firefox, chrome, internet explorer, mac osx and windows, etc... So I'm guessing its not specific to operating system?

You can also view on desktop web browser, after installing some activex control's, so its for internet explorer only. If you're on the local network you can control all the DVR's features from the web applet - which is nice. You can still view, search, backup over the net or network using a desktop windows pc and internet explorer, obviously internet backup is slow, but local network is pretty good. The free windows software (UMS CLIENT?) work's pretty good, because its basic. And you can configure the DVR over the local network using the UMS client software on windows too - which is much easier than using the included mouse or remote control and a tv or monitor. Like other DVR's the remote control is a pain to use, the mouse is easier, but using the PC is the way to go.

The UMS software also REMEMBERS the server settings, so once you enter it - it remembers all the ip's, url's, passwords, etc - so you can easily reconnect later sessions.

The email notification will NOT allow SSL connections, so you need an SMTP server that does not require SSL connections (NO GMAIL SUPPORT HERE). I'm sure there are plenty of other email servers out there, but I use gmail for just about everything so that was important to me... again, ymmv.

Extracting video from this thing is really easy, and the backup video is in .avi format right off the bat. It will backup over the network, usb, etc... VERY EASY. Very intuitive to me. I have used the web client, the windows software and even the DVR itself. You review the footage across all 4 channels at the same time or 1 channel at a time (your choice, very easy) and while watching you simply hit MARK IN and MARK OUT, then hit the backup button, choose which channel or ALL CHANNELS and it makes .avi files - simple. That is maybe the absolute best part of this system, the ease of backup and searching.

The camera's are all aluminum indoor outdoor camera's with fixed lens 3.6mm wide angle view. Again, not very wide - but apparently this "wide" is a standard for these cheap systems...? All 4 cameras are "wide" angle. I had read that they are 380TVL with Sony CCD sensors - I'm not 100% sure about that though. The mounts are HUGE and you can not hide the wires, so no matter how and where you plan on mounting these cameras, wire's will be exposed - period. These are 27 IR LED night vision camera's capable of 45 ft night vision, I personally do NOT think they are capable of 45 ft of see in the dark, but its close... They say "TRUE DAY/NIGHT" on the web site, with IR Cut off filter - I don't really know what that means, but I can tell you I do not see much difference in quality between these Clover OC175 380TVL 1/4 CCD sensor cameras and the Q-see 1/4 Sony CCD camera's - which I think are pretty much the same. The clover camera's are larger than the Q-see camera's. And when the IR LEDs are on, the front glows red (same as the q-see's). When these switch to night vision, they "click" and while the images look black and white - I think there is a hint of color (though not much - I'm assuming because of the IR LEDs?)

The instructions are not very helpful in setting this thing up, even though its pretty simple... The one thing that is NOT listed in the book (unless I missed it) was after any change - REBOOT THE SYSTEM. After I figured that out, it went pretty fast. Again, you'll need to port forward to remote viewing which I'm assuming is standard across the board on these things no matter what price point you're at.

Final thoughts:

This is a simple straight forward easy to setup system, that using the search and backup makes sense on. You can easily find a specific time you're searching for and only backup that time sequence. AND ITS EASY. And the file you get back is already in .AVI format. The camera's are adequate, and can record 7fps at D1 resolution with decent results. The included HDD can hold 10+ days of video which is plenty I think, and it can be upgraded to 1TB. Overall it's a decent choice for the price, but there are others with MANY MORE options for the same price and comparable quality. Again, I'm sure this is not what you pro's would like - but it's not meant for you guys... Its for guys like me - looking for basic options on the cheap... There are pro's and con's to anything, so here we go.

CONS:

Limited recording options. Selections are global for all 4 channels at the same time.

No time stamp over video.

No MAC OSX support at all, except for simple viewing in web browser using mview

PROS:

Easy search and backup of recorded video.

Backup files are already in .avi right off the bat, and you can easily back up 1 channel or all 4 channels at once.

Fairly simple setup (once you realize you have to reboot after any change)

Tech support can actually be reached by phone, and are helpful.

NOTE: I would very much like to see people comment or ask questions in this thread, although I think I'm probably going to return this setup only because for the same price I can get a dvr bundle with more options and loose nothing.

I would like to add one thing, I noticed last night on some video I pulled off the clover, it WILL timestamp the video files, but in a sub titles format, so you can turn it off and on using the media player on your pc. And because the timestamp and FPS are sub titles - they are drawn by the media player pc, so they look perfect no matter what size you have the screen at.

And I personally think the video quality is a little better on this clover vs the q-see, but the difference is between 8 vs 9, not 5 vs 9 or anything... bottom line: marginal difference in quality... VERY MARGINAL.

Please feel free to post any additional information here. THANKS.

I would like to add one thing, I noticed last night on some video I pulled off the clover, it WILL timestamp the video files, but in a sub titles format, so you can turn it off and on using the media player on your pc. And because the timestamp and FPS are sub titles - they are drawn by the media player pc, so they look perfect no matter what size you have the screen at.

And I personally think the video quality is a little better on this clover vs the q-see, but the difference is between 8 vs 9, not 5 vs 9 or anything... bottom line: marginal difference in quality... VERY MARGINAL.

hi toaster. the problem with the clover and qsee and the other names they sell under CNM maplins. is they are very poor. no support bad back-up and to be honest i will alwat talk people out of buying the box systems. you go and test budget dvrs with brand names i.e avtech / avermedia /appollo and you will see they are far better with back-up and much better spec. it does not matter the persons budget its giving the best at budget price without having to buy better later.

you go and test budget dvrs with brand names i.e avtech / avermedia /appollo and you will see they are far better with back-up and much better spec.

Not quite, in the case of the Qsee anyway, please see the other thread related to that. That is a Dahua DVR, it blows away Avtech and Avermedia in the sub $300 range, and at much less money, I know, I have one here, and I just chucked the AvTech, AND I have the EB1304's in the field.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23194

you go and test budget dvrs with brand names i.e avtech / avermedia /appollo and you will see they are far better with back-up and much better spec.

Not quite, in the case of the Qsee anyway, please see the other thread related to that. That is a Dahua DVR, it blows away Avtech and Avermedia in the sub $300 range, and at much less money, I know, I have one here, and I just chucked the AvTech, AND I have the EB1304's in the field.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23194

hi rory EB1304 finnished two years ago replaced with the EB1304 sata plastic and that stoped 14 months ago and the replacment is eb3004 sata and the new eb3004 sata plus with same screen as nv wipes floor with dahua

hi rory EB1304 finnished two years ago replaced with the EB1304 sata plastic and that stoped 14 months ago and the replacment is eb3004 sata and the new eb3004 sata plus with same screen as nv wipes floor with dahua

There would have to be a huge difference for it to come close .. so I really do doubt it.

But if you say so Ill take your word for it, but thats what im comparing it to.

the dahua is 1/2 the price of the eb1304 and loaded with features.

BTW they still sell the eb1304 in the US.

hi toaster. the problem with the clover and qsee and the other names they sell under CNM maplins. is they are very poor. no support bad back-up and to be honest i will alwat talk people out of buying the box systems. you go and test budget dvrs with brand names i.e avtech / avermedia /appollo and you will see they are far better with back-up and much better spec. it does not matter the persons budget its giving the best at budget price without having to buy better later.

I would just like to point out that this unit has never been sold by or distributed by CnM or any of the other brands we supply.

This unit comes from Nadatel, Korea.

Chinese makers with huge engineering power progress very rapidly, but still need some polish when it comes to client software and user interfaces design (time-lined playback for example). You can count the ones that are user friendly on one hand. Hardware platforms (HiSilicon) are same for almost all chinese dvr's, so there will not be any significant difference in codec performance.

This unit comes from Nadatel, Korea.

Chinese makers with huge engineering power progress very rapidly, but still need some polish when it comes to client software and user interfaces design (time-lined playback for example). You can count the ones that are user friendly on one hand. Hardware platforms (HiSilicon) are same for almost all chinese dvr's, so there will not be any significant difference in codec performance.

Quick question, do you know if the more expensive Dahua DVRs have timeline playback?

The basic slim line units dont .. but wonder if thats a feature the others have?

Thanks.

Rory,

Few months ago some models could only playback 4ch, didn't check since then. Personally I don't like their playback user interface, but it's fine once you get used to it.

i believe the dahua plays back in 16 way on the 16 channel .. but dont quote me on that I only used it a couple times and to tell you the truth I dont recall