blowrabbit

UPDATED NEEDS ON A 4 TO 8 CAMERA DVR

i am looking to install a dvr in a cctv enviroment [retail video store] i need one camera at the front counter to record in high resolution with audio and text insertion and somewhere between 5 to 10 fps. the other 3 channels can be recorded at normal resolution at 3- fps with no text or audio. All the cameras to be set on motion dection recording [approx 50% of stores hours open or recording motion 6 hours a day]. i hope to be able to record 60 days on the dvr.

4 cameras is all i need for now but it would be nice to have the ability to expand to more in the future, [8 channel dvr].

the text insertion would be off of a paralel port splitting with a y cable from the printer [ aski text, okidata 320printer] [AVE has a $500.00 unit that is compatable with paralel port]

i need to be able to remote view the recording and live cctv.

i have dsl w/384 kb upload speed at the actual site [entry level dsl speed]

i have broadband at the remote site we wish to view the store from.

my research sofar indicates i may need a terabite for 60 days?

My cameras will be panasonic super dyn III's.

Any ideas??

Edited by Guest

http://www.gailro.com/lexioncctv_com/product/content.asp?name=products&category=stand&number=32

Set one channel to record in 704 X 240 (the 704 X 480 is not much of a difference, and way slower remotely), the other to record in 352 X 240. The problem is that the higher the res , the slower the remote speed. The unit supports 4 channel audio.

Make sure that the camera facing the cash machine is really zooming in on the registrer. Makes alot bigger difference then resolution etc.

You do need a text inserter also, like

http://www.americanvideoequipment.com/catalog/vsi-pro.htm

i will badditionally i hope to be able to enable remote viewing off a static ip with entry level dsl. the remote site will have very good download speeds and be using broadband. i really dont want a pc based unit as power at the store is unpredictabe at times.

What is considered "entry level DSL"? Are you referring to a 256k upload rate or less? The download speed will not be an issue at the remote side, but the upload at the DVR location will if you plan on achieving maximum frame rates remotely.

i really dont want a pc based unit as power at the store is unpredictabe at times.

Are embedded units immune to poor power issues? Technically the most predictable item to find in an area of unpredictable power will be a PC. Interesting.....

It would help to know which DVR mux you are using, hard drive size. Also, single channel, triplex operation etc. The settings for file size per camera vary per unit and supplier. Good, better and best options may be your only clure to resolution. Invividual camera prioritazation and level settings are differnt on differnt units and non existent on low end units,

by low end units in four channel /triplex/ stand alone/ 320gig+ hdd/ i assume you mean costing less than $2000.00?

i am looking to find a really good dvr for around 5k, is that possible?? i thought it was? If you read my original post asking for any suggestions it will be self explanatory, thanks,

with your post I got the drift of your install but I seem to do better when I have the application right in front of me. Not your fault, we somethimes call

different modes by differnt names. (Wisconsin chees heads)

I've tried the good the better and best with all the brand names and all the foreign brand names. Here is a link of a unit that dealer prices out around $1700 with all the features you can dream of.

www.idviewcctv.com

Now, click on DVR "demos" on the CY series. If you have broadband you can select any of their 6 cameras from texas and control that DVR's functions as if you were there. They are a distributer and I'm only plugging their unit because it is simply FANTASTIC! The same unit by "sprite" is around $6000 (same linux software, menus, etc)

Value series stinks. They are re-brands. ...and those live views aren't too good. Look at rory's "cheap" DVR, it blows those images away.