I'm new to this guys so I had a few questions about IP cameras.

Can I simply put a few cameras on a network with a PC and then use some software to record/view/setup the picture? Someone quoted me that I need a capture card which I'm not sure I need.

Also what software do you guys recommend? This is a cost sensitive project and I would like a good set of features.

Thank you in advance

If he quoted you on a capture card then its not for IP cameras.

If its CCTV cameras then it needs some kind of DVR, capture card in PC or stand alone.

IP cameras can use software and record them over the network.

If its cost sensitive then CCTV cameras and a cheap DVR is the cheapest solution.

Thank you rory,

Any recommendations on the software

Not Milestone.

If you use Geovision cameras, then GeoVision is a nice solution as it doesn't require you to pay for licenses for all Geovision hardware.

If its CCTV cameras then it needs some kind of DVR, capture card in PC or stand alone.

If its cost sensitive then CCTV cameras and a cheap DVR is the cheapest solution.

Lots of Cards on market now can be use as Hybrid solution

Thank you rory,

Any recommendations on the software

Not Milestone.

If you use Geovision cameras, then GeoVision is a nice solution as it doesn't require you to pay for licenses for all Geovision hardware.

Why not? I've used it, and it's a pretty fair solution... especially since they've redone their pricing structure for their budget-line software.

I'm happy with it.

Lots of Cards on market now can be use as Hybrid solution

Thats true in regards to some systems (many now yes), but IP cameras themselves dont need a capture card, was my point there. Though I guess he could have sold him a system with a card also just incase he was going to add regular cameras at some point.

He is telling me that I need the card for the compression. I do not believe this is true. As far as I know I could have these ip cameras going to a laptop as long as it had the right software.

Unfortunately the geovision software only supports geovision cameras. Geovision cameras are not designed for my needs (outdoor, vandal proof, color, day/night).

Any recommendations on another piece of software? I'm planning on running it on the same pc i have the geovision card in

Unfortunately the geovision software only supports geovision cameras. Geovision cameras are not designed for my needs (outdoor, vandal proof, color, day/night).

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/SupportIPCAM.htm

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/3_1_IPCam.asp

I was under the impression that I have to buy IP Camera licenses fornon geovision cameras

Those cameras do not suite my needs as described above. I do not need pan/tilt/zoom, they will be very expensive for my needs

I was under the impression that I have to buy IP Camera licenses fornon geovision cameras

Those cameras do not suite my needs as described above. I do not need pan/tilt/zoom, they will be very expensive for my needs

sure, but thats no different from other NVR software, and geo is generally cheaper

He is telling me that I need the card for the compression. I do not believe this is true. As far as I know I could have these ip cameras going to a laptop as long as it had the right software.

You are correct. Compression is not the primary function of these cards; digitizing analog video is. Some cards then compress that video, but some systems do the compression in software.

This person is either lying to you, or doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, you should stop talking to him.

Either that, or send him in here to explain himself

You are correct. Compression is not the primary function of these cards; digitizing analog video is. Some cards then compress that video, but some systems do the compression in software.

This person is either lying to you, or doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, you should stop talking to him.

Either that, or send him in here to explain himself

Oooh... that wouldn't be very nice.

Well that depends, did he quote you IP cameras or non IP cameras? Or is he just quoting you the system for existing cameras? Does he know you want to use for IP Cameras only? The card would be there if you wanted to make it a hybrid system as mentioned before, incase you also add non IP cameras.

Also some cards are hardware compression but most are not, they will normally say if they are.

IP cameras normally do the compression in the camera, software is typically just for managing/recording them.

I think he has no idea what he is talking about. He is a family friend and we decided to let him give us a quote on this project. I already have a 16 existing analog cameras going into a geovision card inside a dell PC(quad core, raid 1, 2TB) and its running well. I simply want to add 6 IP cameras to the same PC. I'm not sure if I need to buy new software or if the preexisting Geovision software will be able to handle these additional cameras.

I was hoping I could run another piece of software for these new cameras. Something inexpensive and feature rich. Any ideas on new software, if i need it.

Last I checked Geo was cheaper than others, but maybe someone else could make a recommendation.

I don't know much (okay, anything) about GV's product lineup, but I can't imagine it would be that big a deal to add six IP licenses to your existing GV installation.

I've tried Milestone's free software, and it's not that awesome. It's short on features, and it's only a four channel license. Not enough if you plan on expanding.

If you find any other free software let me know, I've been looking for a new software solution.

Rory, that looks like it should run my cameras in MJPEG mode. I'll give it a shot. Let me know if you come up with anything that's ONVIF and cheap (I know, probably not a realistic combo).

Thanks!