Sign in to follow this  
sheriffa

What Type of Fiber Optic cables to Install?

I need to run a 500 foot connection from an office to a remote enclosed powered enclosure. I have the underground conduit with a pull cord in place between the two. I want to setup a 6 camera IP system expandable to 32 for now so I was going to run fiber across that distance. There will be a switch on either end?

Single or multimode?

What kind of fiber should I be using?

What is armored fiber?

I hear there are different types of connectors for the fiber, what are they? Is there a reference guide somewhere?

Any recommendations on the switches? One of them has to be environmentally hardened, support POE, and have at least 13 Ethernet ports a 1000Mbps.

Thank you in advance guys

I need to run a 500 foot connection from an office to a remote enclosed powered enclosure. I have the underground conduit with a pull cord in place between the two. I want to setup a 6 camera IP system expandable to 32 for now so I was going to run fiber across that distance. There will be a switch on either end?

Single or multimode?

What is armored fiber?

I hear there are different types of connectors for the fiber, what are they? Is there a reference guide somewhere?

Any recommendations on the switches? One of them has to be environmentally hardened, support POE, and have at least 13 Ethernet ports a 1000Mbps.

Before you can determine the fibre and conectors you need to decide on the end kit.

Are you looking to use switches with inbuilt GBICs or copper conections to media convertors?

The end kit will determine the optical budget, the fibre type and connectors.

The sheath for the fibre should be direct bury duct rated. Armoured (steel wire or steel tape should be used if there may be a rodent problem)

Regards

Ilkie

Are you looking to use switches with inbuilt GBICs or copper conections to media convertors?

I will be using a switch on both ends. Not sure what you mean by inbuilt GBIC, can you explain or link me to a web page with a description?

Thank you

I will be using a switch on both ends. Not sure what you mean by inbuilt GBIC, can you explain or link me to a web page with a description?

Thank you

High end switches and routers have interchangable slots for uplinking

A gigabit interface converter (GBIC) is a standard for transceivers, commonly used with Gigabit Ethernet and fibre channel.

These can be copper, multi mode or single mode fibre.

It does away with the need to use a seperate media convertor.

Ilkie

Single or multimode?

What is armored fiber?

Hi the cost of using fibre is going to be 1000s this is before you have purchased your ip cameras and nvr. and if you have never done fibre i would say you are better getting a company in to do it for you .... termination tools are also expensive.

or you could install a nvr at the point were you need the cameras and remote it back to your office. this will save you lots of money to spend on a good nvr and high end ip cameras.

multimode 62.5micron is typically the standard -- talk with the switch mfg but you'll want the fiber to have sc connections and you will need gbic on each side that will take the sc connector and attach to the switch -- you can buy pre-terminated fiber in any distance so to the point it's to expensive or complex isnt true -- call your local distr and they can connect you with someone that will build the 500ft piece of fiber you'll need, then you just pull it connect both sides to each switch and your good

good luck

multi mode 50 micron run at least 6 strand even if you don't need the spare pairs I would terminate 2 pairs at the install. direct bury or similiar. General cable, Corning have very good info on websites and printed catalog. Main reason to go to 50 micron is it will support up to 1000 mps.