tangcoral

DIY low cost home project nvr or something?

I have read many posts for a few days now but havent grasped the understanding of building a nvr. Maybe cause most of the contents seem to be of professional equipments and not diy low cost home project use.

Anyhow, could I purchase a simple low cost camera like HD2100 sanyo and load a vms like exacq for $150 onto my desktop and start viewing and recording?

Or do I need to build a specifically designed nvr or server w/client machine?

I dont need anything high tech as I am using it for a daily video blog which entails me walking around living room but would like like 1.3m or higher resolution.

Starting with one ip camera which uses ethernet so I dont need any special card just connect directly though rj45 or switch router?

But if I need to add couple analog cameras later, I would probably need an input for bnc type connections which means I need a dvr hybrid type card?

Trying to keep it low cost.

I have read many posts for a few days now but havent grasped the understanding of building a nvr. Maybe cause most of the contents seem to be of professional equipments and not diy low cost home project use.

Anyhow, could I purchase a simple low cost camera like HD2100 sanyo and load a vms like exacq for $150 onto my desktop and start viewing and recording?

Or do I need to build a specifically designed nvr or server w/client machine?

I dont need anything high tech as I am using it for a daily video blog which entails me walking around living room but would like like 1.3m or higher resolution.

Starting with one ip camera which uses ethernet so I dont need any special card just connect directly though rj45 or switch router?

But if I need to add couple analog cameras later, I would probably need an input for bnc type connections which means I need a dvr hybrid type card?

for 1 camera the sanyo comes with software. just load onto your pc. or the sanyo HD 3500 which has a sd card onboard.

Just camera to ethernet. Exacq soft works in demo mode with one camera without any cost. But, for better system reliability, you can build low cost Linux machine on Atom processor for Exacq NVR service.

Yup! That's all an NVR is - something that records video from a network stream. Doesn't have to be big and fancy.

Correct. Adding more IP cameras later would just involve plugging them into the network, and configuring them in the NVR. They don't have to plug into the same switch, they just need to be on the same network. In fact, I currently have an old router set up as a wireless bridge on my network, and have two IP cameras plugged into that.

Not necessarily. You could also use a "video server" device with them, and put them on the network as well.

You guys are great, thx for the knowledge!

Love the forum, keep up the good work.

Wish they had a newbie section so as not to crowd it with newbie questions.