jeromephone

Confused about stored video

I have been talking with a customer about adding some IP cameras to there large analog system. My question is in reguards to stored video quality/quanity. My vendor gave me some stats on how much hddrive space a 1 meg pixel camera would use vs a analog camera basically 3 times the storage space. So if I have to compress the video to equal high quality analog 704X480 to keep my harddrive space to something reasonable am I gaining anything by going IP? This vendor was telling me about a customer adding 2 mega pixel cameras to an existing analog system which was averaging around 20 days storage and they saw the storage days drop to 4. The customer expects to see the recorded video to look like the live view, whether that is right or not that is the expectation???

What's to be confused? Higher resolution, more data, more space required...

No, you don't necessarily need to reduce the resolution... you could reduce the framerate, or you could increase the compression level (with lower quality). Or depending on the DVR, you could use a different compression.

It's going to depend somewhat on the codec the camera uses, vs. the codec the DVR uses... if it's an H.264 camera and the DVR is using MPEG4 or MJPEG, you may find the MP cameras use less space than the analog ones. Naturally the "percentage" of additional space usage depends a bit on how "large" this "large analog system" is already - if you have 50 analog cameras going as it is, adding two MP cameras would barely make a dent.

But on the whole, your best bet will probably be increasing the drive space, as more cameras will always take more space anyway.

720p(or ~1MP) = ~3x file size of D1

1.3MP = ~4X file size of D1

1080p(or ~2MP) = ~6x file size of D1

This is assuming same compression level.

If you compress it to D1 their is no point in going IP really. It's not going to give you a better image. D1 is D1.

As Soundy said, you can reduce framerate to reduce storage. But your better off increasing the storage. Storage is cheap these days anyway.

If your customer is expecting the recorded video to look like live then you are definitely going to be using an extensive amount of storage space. I agree that simply adding storage is the best option as storage is getting cheaper and cheaper these days.

You might also be able to get away with turning down the frame rate to about 15 fps. At 15 video still looks pretty smooth, and you'll save on some space that way.

Storage is cheap these days anyway.

not here, $250+ for a 2TB drive, almost $200 for a 1 TB drive.

Paid $130 for a 500GB drive the other day.

violinist-1.gif

I've got about 10 TB I need to put out on the curb for recycling. I'm constantly replacing smaller drives with larger drives. At .33 cents a kWh, I can't afford the electricity for smaller drives.

Best,

Christopher

violinist-1.gif

them violins arent cheap either