daniely87

LPR / ANPR advice

I require a camera / software to automatically log license plates from approximately 40 metres away (40m maximum) (120 feet), day and night, preferably IP based, Axis suggested i purchase the Axis 1344 or 1347 then link it with Milestone software....i have contacted several companies regarding LPR software, none of which have replied yet, possibly because i am more of an end user than an installer.....i do not wish to spend too much on the software, i would like to keep costs down as much as possible, but at the same time i want something that will work.....thanks in advance

I require a camera / software to automatically log license plates from approximately 40 metres away (40m maximum) (120 feet), day and night, preferably IP based, Axis suggested i purchase the Axis 1344 or 1347 then link it with Milestone software....i have contacted several companies regarding LPR software, none of which have replied yet, possibly because i am more of an end user than an installer.....i do not wish to spend too much on the software, i would like to keep costs down as much as possible, but at the same time i want something that will work.....thanks in advance

"keep the cost down and something that will work" We all wish that

Well you will need 2 cameras if your going with Axis. One set for day and the other for night.

Well you will need 2 cameras if your going with Axis. One set for day and the other for night.

seriously? can't they switch modes automatically? or is that because the settings must be different? i think the software is more of a problem than the cameras? half of the software seems to be for analogue cameras, the other half is in the thousands of pounds!!

If I were trying to build a DIY LPR camera, I would use one IR sensitive camera, add an IR bandpass filter, and use an IR illuminator both day and night. At 120 feet, I would use a 10 degree IR illuminator.

Best,

Christopher

seriously? can't they switch modes automatically? or is that because the settings must be different? i think the software is more of a problem than the cameras? half of the software seems to be for analogue cameras, the other half is in the thousands of pounds!!

Hi daniely87. you have said pounds so your in the uk. are you looking for ANPR (software collection of number plates) or just a camera that will allow you to see a number plate on your dvr.

if it is ANPR what is the application you need it for .... private or public

thanks everyone

tom, software collection (make a list so at the end of each day we have a record of the cars entering and leaving)

and regarding public or private, well, it's a campsite / caravan park, which we own, the land is private / ours, but the public are the people who come here, so what do you suggest / is there a difference in the software / regulations?

since i last posted, one company has told me not to go down the route of IP cameras with anpr, as they are not as good as analogue cameras?...i can't see why not? apart from the higher resolution, easier to install / less cabling back to the house, i would have thought it was easier for the software to scan a digital image for a numberplate than an analogue image? thanks again.

thanks everyone

tom, software collection (make a list so at the end of each day we have a record of the cars entering and leaving)

and regarding public or private, well, it's a campsite / caravan park, which we own, the land is private / ours, but the public are the people who come here, so what do you suggest / is there a difference in the software / regulations?

since i last posted, one company has told me not to go down the route of IP cameras with anpr, as they are not as good as analogue cameras?...i can't see why not? apart from the higher resolution, easier to install / less cabling back to the house, i would have thought it was easier for the software to scan a digital image for a numberplate than an analogue image? thanks again.

Hi daniely . just some advice for you people advertise standard cameras or ip cameras as ANPR cameras. and you need ANPR software to run them.

i think what you are after is a standard camera or ip to log number plates a good sanyo 400 and milestone software will do just what you need. and it will also open gates or a barrier if it know the reg in its database.

http://www.sourcesecurity.com/image/33873.html

Wouldn't a Mobotix camera with appropriate B&W lens zoomed into the appropriate area not catch license plates? Combine that with internal storage on an SD card, and you'd have a full record of every vehicle that entered.

It wouldn't be an LPR/searchable database, but you'd have a record of events you could search through if you were looking for the plate on a particular vehicle at a particular time.

Can you provide a little more detail on the 2 camera issue. I am trying to do something very similar. Is this because they are not in focus or? Thanks, trying to learn (just a hobbyist).

sawbones , i currently have an analogue camera, and the day time is no problem at all, just the time it takes to see what vehicles have been in and out, which is the main reason why we require something automatic!

mike_va, the guide in that thread was good, although the milestone guide said their software doesnt work with cameras using mpeg compression, i believe axix cameras are h264 and mpeg....it says jpeg only cameras....axis actually told me to contact milestone to start with...

wireguys, thanks for the other links on avigilon and ipconfigure! contacted them!

tom, thanks again, as for sanyo 400, after typing on google and the sanyo website, i didn't get too far! several with 400 in their name, is this an IP cam?

if you guys had a choice of IP vs analogue cameras for anpr, which would you choose, my mind is 99% set on IP? part of what is worrying me is i am 40 metres back from the entrance, ok when they have entered and straightened up it is probably 35m, then the IR lighting..hmmm

thanks again

sawbones , i currently have an analogue camera, and the day time is no problem at all, just the time it takes to see what vehicles have been in and out, which is the main reason why we require something automatic!

mike_va, the guide in that thread was good, although the milestone guide said their software doesnt work with cameras using mpeg compression, i believe axix cameras are h264 and mpeg....it says jpeg only cameras....axis actually told me to contact milestone to start with...

wireguys, thanks for the other links on avigilon and ipconfigure! contacted them!

tom, thanks again, as for sanyo 400, after typing on google and the sanyo website, i didn't get too far! several with 400 in their name, is this an IP cam?

if you guys had a choice of IP vs analogue cameras for anpr, which would you choose, my mind is 99% set on IP? part of what is worrying me is i am 40 metres back from the entrance, ok when they have entered and straightened up it is probably 35m, then the IR lighting..hmmm

thanks again

here is the site for you. http://www.fullhdcctv.com/

My Axis cameras are MJPEG (motion JPEG) and 264, one server I have is MJPEG and MPEG. I could be wrong but I think Axis usually has MJPEG).

Can you provide a little more detail on the 2 camera issue. I am trying to do something very similar. Is this because they are not in focus or? Thanks, trying to learn (just a hobbyist).

So you can setup one camera for night time and other other for day time. One Color and one B/W.

thanks everyone

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

There are a number of maunfacturers supplying purpose designed ANPR cameras in the UK. In the mid range there is DM, Bosch, Genie etc. At the high end, NDI, PIPs and Citysync.

Some versions are analogue and others IP.

Not many will run to 40m, most offer 18 to 25 m with UK plates. With analogue one camera will look at one lane of traffic only. Megapixel versions will cover up to two lanes (7m width).

You can specify with overview or without. Without overview you will just get an image of the plate and no identification of colour or type of vehicle.

With analogue you can couple with a DVR that has ANPR datbase facilities (DM and Dallmeier are two, there are others).

Consider rear reading instead of front capture, this way you may pick up motorbike and scooter plates.

Hope this helps

Ilkie