Goldenvoice

Thoughts wanted on basic system for new small retail store.

My wife has recently opened a small (1500sq') Art & Antique Mall with mini café. It's a start-up business, and we're being as fugal as these times warrant.

With that said, we have some equipment, and some concerns of our own.

What we have:

***8 Q-see analog cameras (currently installed in store by previous proprietor, but can/will be moved to better locations).

***Bosch LCD 20" Monitor MON201CL

***Dell XPS 410, Intel Core2, 375W, twin 'standard issue' Seagate 320G HD, 2GB RAM computer (currently awaiting my choice of new graphics/video card), and matching 19" monitor.

What I'd like input on for starters: the Dell computer needs to first do the job of general office machine - Internet banking, book keeping, light surfing, etc. Seems I could install a card, say Geovision GV-600, and have it double as our security DVR.

I'm guessing I could run dual monitors, one for internet, and one for cctv monitoring (?).

My biggest concern: creating a security issue in itself by doing online banking on the same machine that would be online 24/7 for off-site survellance...

Or might I be better off to purchase a stand-alone DVR for security?

Thoughts?

Ok, my input:

a) Always dedicate the recording device to do nothing but recording. whether standalone or PC based, don't try to multi purpose it.

b) The GV-600 card will not provide a worthwhile solution for 8CH(30FPS @ CIF res global? 8FPS @ D1? Thats 1FPS per camera at D1 res).

If cost is an issue, go with an embedded standalone DVR. buying another PC would be more money.

8CH(30FPS @ CIF res global? 8FPS @ D1? Thats 1FPS per camera at D1 res).

This alone gives me good direction to study!

My wife and I have been discussing what would actually be an asset, as far as coverage. We've already had a "helper" helping herself to a bit of the till - that problem took care of itself, and I realize the best 'surveillance' to dissuade would-be shoplifters is an alert proprietor present.

I'm thinking one good camera straight down on the till drawer, and another decent camera from up behind the till counter - this would take care, for the most part, of 'helpers' helping themselves. Otherwise, we're not a high traffic shop, such as a mini mart.

I was also thinking - the Bosch monitor has camera inputs direct - could simply hook some entry cams to it, and display it for the public, simply so they see themselves on the screen - so they know their being 'watched' - even if those channels are not being recorded.

I would, however, record the till cams - and an office cam...

Oh, and ten-four on the 'don't multipurpose' the pc - fine and dandy - I felt I needed confirmation on that!

I think using the monitor is a great idea to show people they are being watched. I would mount the camera feeding the monitor right above the monitor and put both near the entrance. Also split the camera signal to your PC/DVR so its recorded as well as displayed.

Its natural for most people to look up at the TV when walking in. This is good because then you get a good look at their face!

Its natural for most people to look up at the TV when walking in. This is good because then you get a good look at their face!

This is a grand idea! What I've done at home I call "hardening the target" - a wide variety of things to make our place look tougher to conquer than the neighboring places.

The other issue with the store is it's out from the nearest town by a mile or two - on a major highway. The only other business on the same lot close their doors at 10pm, and turn off all their lights. My wife leaves on some interior, plus porch lights along the front, but still, there's really no one around at night.

I'm not a thief, so don't think like one, but would think thieves may 'case the joint' during business hours, and take notes about security, alarm, weak or dark entrances, etc. Having visible deterrents must be a huge plus.

An alarm system is also in the plan; seems even a basic wireless set-up would be far better than none at all.

I've noticed alarm hookups of some sort in the specs for the stand-alone DVRs. What do those do?

[seems if we're at home (10 min from store), there should be some easy way to know if the alarm at the store has been triggered, without paying a monthly fee to a security company.]

After we had a theft incident at our retail store, we installed recording cameras (we had a camera, but it wasn't being recorded and was just for us to see what was going on while in the back of the store).

One of the things I did was get a small 20" lcd tv, and mount it behind the counter and cash register with a camera facing out at the customers, so when one of us greets the customer (which happens at the counter), they would SEE THEMSELVES and know there are working cameras in the store. The camera you see on the TV is its own dedicated camera (crappy little $30 fry's job - the original viewing only camera).. I didn't want to show the feed from the 24/7 recording DVR, as I figured there was no reason to show anyone where the blind spots were in the system, etc... I think seeing the live camera feeds get's the message across loud and clear - There are 3 visible camera's inside my store... And I'm ready to add at least 1 more to catch a close up view of anyone walking in.

JUST FYI, The theft incident we had at my store was obviously someone who had been in the store before, they knew exactly what they needed to snap a lock on a display cabinet, open it and remove the contents. They entered as potential customers, and then committed the crime.