bpzle

OMG OMG!

Basic cat5e insulation is typically rated for 300V.

24AWG is extremely fragile. Many alarm installers refuse to use CAT5 for alarms because it is so easy to nick during stripping which can lead to a break. Also, just because he put a small load at the end of 900 feet does not mean it should not be able to support a larger load for code compliance. Bottom line, I seriously doubt a building inspector would sign off on this.

Best,

Christopher

The point was that the cable technically IS rated for sufficient voltage level to run 120V over... and that that with other factors, at least taken individually, COULD be argued to make the job legal. There are plenty of other factors that AREN'T legal, and just because something is legal doesn't mean it's smart... the point was merely that not all aspects of the install are necessarily illegal.

BTW, I've had solid 16/2 cores break with just a tiny nick as well; I've also had badly-nicked Cat5 that held up to a lot of flexing before it broke. It's not THAT fragile...

And no, I don't expect any building or electrical inspector in the civilized world would approve this install, either.

Forget about laws for a minute.... Do you think that is safe?

personally? i wouldnt go near it.

LOL!

this one did give me a chuckle though:

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/about2808.html

ive been doing remote video from back in 2001 for DVRs.

granted back then it was still moving from phone line transmission and many chinese brands didnt have network options yet, but years before 2005 we had been remote viewing DVRs extensively. Note I was using Kalatel DVRs from 2001-2005 or so.

that explains it all i have just seen another post from the guy with his cat5

If you could afford it, I would suggest high-resolution IP cameras with analytics. The high-resolution allows for easy identification, the IP camera allows for networking including long-distance access points. And the analytics is a form of camera intelligence that can identify certain human activity and then notify you or your security instantaneously via smart phone with an actual picture in real time. A regular dumb analog camera system will only show you videos of people with masks on as they rob you after the fact.

I am a security consultant specializing in cameras. I works with medical marijuana growers concerning their special security needs.

Shannon -- Maui customs surveillance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a security consultant who works with growers, I would not advise sleeping in a tent. If you are sleeping in a tent, there is not much standing between you and the bad guys. And if you're counting on your dog waking you up, is just too easy to kill a dog silently, silencing a dog is not difficult.

I would advise against getting a dog, particularly a noisy dog. Not only will this attract the attention of your irate neighbors, it will attract the attention of would-be robbers who actually case neighborhoods listening for barking dogs to lead them to the growers!

And the irate neighbor could be more of a threat to your business security, who may not object personally to medical marijuana but would object to any business being run in his neighborhood that would pollute or create noise or draw traffic and devalue his property. It's impossible nowadays to get so far back into the boonies that your neighbor could not hear your dog.

Trying to make your neighbors your friends, and do not ever draw attention to yourself or your business.

Shannon -- Maui Custom Surveillance

BTW, I've had solid 16/2 cores break with just a tiny nick as well;

Sure, it can happen, but when CAT5 wires are paired to carry the load and one of the wires in the pair breaks, that's when the fireworks can start.

Best,

Christopher

If the guy had checked he could have found DSL extenders for under 400 bucks plus save the cost of the lawsuit and fines that are probably in his future. I don't have the code in front of me but i think it is still a violation and I bet any electrical inspector who is honest would agree, if nothing else there is not a physical seperation of data and voltage over 48 v when we do data work we always have divided raceway power poles or dedicated conduits for our stuff.

Whoa... he's helping pot growers secure their crops?

And that's the quality of his work?

Perfect... just perfect.

Maybe he WANTs the place to catch fire.

looks like some of you guys have deserted us for that forum

Rory how can people desert from the best forum on the net ............. i think others have joined to just tell them they would get better advice here .......................at least there house wont catch fire.

+1 Vote for Epic Thread of 2010

Holy cow, I shouldn't have but I laughed out loud a number of times reading through here.

At first I was like..

Then I..

Thanks guys, needed that today! " title="Applause" />

Holy cow, I shouldn't have but I laughed out loud a number of times reading through here.

At first I was like..

Then I..

943195478badnews5367loldmonkey-1.jpg

At first I was like..

Then I..

943195478badnews5367loldmonkey-1.jpg

Posted a reply on that thread... will be interesting to read the reply. Lol

I was about to suggest we all sign up and weigh in

It may be too late for that; it looks like the thread had been deleted.

Was this the one where the professional security consultant bid $100 to install some sort of networking equipment at the end of a 900' underground cat5 run only to discover that Ethernet's maximum distance limitation is about 1/3 of that distance? So his solution was to twist a couple of the unused pairs together and run 120VAC down to the other end so he could power a WiFi access point?

Was this the one where the professional security consultant bid $100 to install some sort of networking equipment at the end of a 900' underground cat5 run only to discover that Ethernet's maximum distance limitation is about 1/3 of that distance? So his solution was to twist a couple of the unused pairs together and run 120VAC down to the other end so he could power a WiFi access point?

I think he used power line Ethernet instead of WiFi, but yes, that was essentially the thread.

Best,

Christopher

Posted a reply on that thread... will be interesting to read the reply. Lol

I was about to suggest we all sign up and weigh in

It may be too late for that; it looks like the thread had been deleted.

Awww man... I hope somebody grabbed a screenshot of that, that was some epic fail right there.