SEANHAWG

Identify this DVR

I picked up four of these DVR's and I cant for the life of me find any info on it so I am hoping that someone else may know this DVR perhaps rebadged under a different name. It did not have a brand name on it but it did have a model #: VC-SYS-8CHWEBRMPEG-4

It has a built in CDRW. Used MPEG4 compression:

1787421_DVR-1.jpg

I didnt know Cracker Jack was in the DVR makin business?

No seriously, this must be a Canadian joke because I dont get it?

I didnt know Cracker Jack was in the DVR makin business?

No seriously, this must be a Canadian joke because I dont get it?

I didn't know it was an exclusively Canadian joke... of the variety, "Where'd you get your driver's license, out of a Cracker Jack box?" Based on the invariably cheap little toys they'd include in the package.

Kinda like the old, "I bought a Geo Metro once. Well, I didn't actually buy it... it came in a Happy Meal."

This thread is starting to remind me of the Meatloaf song Two Out of Three Ain't Bad: "There ain't no Coupe DeVille hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box"

Ahhh I see, I was googling it with the MPEG-4 extension on it and nothing was coming up.

I didn't know it was an exclusively Canadian joke... of the variety, "Where'd you get your driver's license, out of a Cracker Jack box?" Based on the invariably cheap little toys they'd include in the package.

Kinda like the old, "I bought a Geo Metro once. Well, I didn't actually buy it... it came in a Happy Meal."

I have heard of the joke, I guess all this turkey has gotten to my brain because the picture of the cracker jack box didnt trigger the memory of the joke.

Anways, this DVR is really not that good at all. The biggest problem I have with it is the hideous recording quality. On playback, it looks like an 8 bit nintendo trying to play video. The video looks super blocky even on D1. Out of all of the crappy chinese DVR's that I have tested in the past month, this one looks worse than all of them on playback and to me, playback quality is the single most important thing that I look for on a DVR, and I didnt get these out of China. I guess I expected more because it "looks" to be like a particularly well built DVR, big and heavy, almost looks like a PC based DVR, but I agress judging a book by its cover is not the smartest thing.

Do you think the quality of the recording has to do more with the DVR or does it have to do with MPEG4 compression. This is my first MPEG4 DVR that I have tested so I am not familiar with it but as I said, these things say they record in D1, I havent even tried to see what CIF looks like.

Yeah AvTech has or HAD one of the worse quality of all DVRs, at least its network video sucked, the evidence sharing was also horrible unless you did video out to a separate capture card like I did before, Live video was OK .. it was resold under tons of names in the US and world wide, thats those ones like kmart etc used to sell also. It was cheap, in most cases the cheapest at the time .. now things are a changing and there are much better products for even less. Mind you they arent THAT old, I still have one here in the box I just replaced a month ago, it was new from just a year or two ago, that was the CPCam model. Still ALOT of them in the field also, and many posts on this forum about them.

Dear Seanhawg,

This is like mentioned an old DVR of AVtech and CPcam. You can sell them as the AVC785D as it has 8 channels and AVC787D as it has 16 channels. The D is the indication for a built-in disk drive.

Best Regards,

Nick

I ran that picture through some Photoshop tricks and managed to make out a brand name: "Craptastic".

Thanks Soundy, now I will know to stay away from all "Craptastic" branded surveillance equipment from now on. This reminds me of another brand that I tested not too long ago "POS", and that didnt stand for "Point Of Sale"

Live video was OK

Yeah the live video looked really nice, as if I was plugging the camera directly into the monitor. The network video looks just like the recorded video, blocky. Too bad live video means nothing for evidence. The only cool thing about this DVR is the remote viewing GUI is exactly like the DVR's GUI. I assume this is an older Avtech DVR. Oh well, no dissing Avtech as this is the first one I have tested, I guess even among the name brand equipment there are some junky versions, I dont know which is worse, this DVR or a Pelco 4 channel that I tested a few months ago. But for the price I got on all 4 of these, i cant complain too much.

Live video was OK

Yeah the live video looked really nice, as if I was plugging the camera directly into the monitor. The network video looks just like the recorded video, blocky

All that means is that it's piping the live video straight to the display, rather than displaying the compressed video.

The only cool thing about this DVR is the remote viewing GUI is exactly like the DVR's GUI. I assume this is an older Avtech DVR. Oh well, no dissing Avtech as this is the first one I have tested, I guess even among the name brand equipment there are some junky versions, I dont know which is worse, this DVR or a Pelco 4 channel that I tested a few months ago. But for the price I got on all 4 of these, i cant complain too much.

Man every AvTech ive used is like that LOL.

And yes its like remote desktop to the DVR, anything you do is seen on the DVR also.

Change the screen remotely it is being changed locally.

Sucks really, slow to use, just a PITA.