fas

CNB Camera Worked then Screen Went Blank

I had an install today. The usual, except one of the cnb cameras (CNB VCM-24VD) worked for a few minutes, and then went blank (sort of off white) and would not come back. I tested the voltage and it was fine. I am using a 24v power supply. I tried another of the same camera at that location and it was fine. I brought the non working camera to the dvr and tried it there with the same result. The service port didn't work either. Is there a way to reset the camera, or do you think it is bad? I have never had a cnb camera go bad, but since another camera does work at that location, I'm guessing it may be. The voltage at the camera location is 26.8, but the book says it can range from 20v to 28v with no problem, so I don't think that is the problem, and since video is not the problem either, I am at a loss. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I've run into a couple of VCM-24VFs now that had similar symptoms: signal output, but no picture, just black (or very dark), looking kind of like when you close the iris right down.

On the latest one, it appears to be loose wires or maybe a loose component on the back of the camera module - where all the wires come off the back, if I push or nudge on them, the picture comes back (I haven't had a chance to test the other bad one yet). I want to troubleshoot them to see exactly what the problem is, but being brand-new, I know they should probably just go back for warranty replacement

Matt,

Did you get a picture at first and then it went out? I did make sure all the connections behind the camera were pushed in to place, but it didn't do anything. I had a feeling that was the case that something may have gotten loose. I'm glad this happened to someone else and not just me so I don't think I am crazy. What got me is that is worked, and then it went out. I did turn the camera and focus it so maybe something could have gotten loose, but this never happened before and I have installed a lot of them. At first I thought is was a voltage issue that may have blown out the camera, but I tested it and the voltage was fine. something must have gotten loose, but like you said, it's brand new, so I should just get another one Monday. Let me know how your testing turns out. I would be interested to see if loose wires are the culprit.

yes if you rotate it too much in one direction it can pull on the cables and cause them to come loose. If it is an IRIS issue and its whiteout, taking it indoors should fix that, but you said you tried that and still nothing? There are 2 boards which cables join to from the back of the camera, make sure those cables are on the boards good also, but they are harder to just come loose as they are I think under the boards. Maybe try taking the Auto Iris out, its just one or 2 small screws then it pulls right out. Or even loosen the lens screw and remove the lens and see what it does. Cant set the defaults unless you can get back into the OSD, can you access the OSD at all?

Like Soundy I have one that went black before, client told me that but It went back to normal and as far as I know hasnt done it again. I know if the IRIS jams closed it can be that way, my old bullet camera here has done that now, but I bent up the IRIS holder when I opened it to took out the IR cut filter LOL. Killed the plastic IR cut filter also I can go out to it now and release it and it will be fine, or even take the AI out completely but then thats whiteout in the day. Im just going to replace it for a new TDN lens unless I can get my hands on another old TDN camera with M13 lens then use that one or just its AI/ICR.

I'll take it back to the distributor Monday and we'll fool with it. If it doesn't come back, I'll just get another one. Thanks for the help and input.

The first time I ran into this issue, the camera just showed black as soon as I fired it up. Got signal, the DVR didn't show signal loss, there was just no picture. Suspected a bad iris drive, but again, haven't had the chance to investigate further; just swapped it out to get the site online.

The second one, I just ran into last night - it had picture at first, but then lost it. Nudging the bundle of wires on the back of the camera module caused the picture to come and go, along with the sort of noise and broken images you'd expect to see with a lose wire.

Matt,

Were you using 24v ac? I have been using 24v mostly these days and I notice that when the camera first fires up it takes a second to recognize 24v and then kicks in. With 12v it seems to go right on. In my case, it seems like the camera never "kicks in".

Also, maybe its just me, but I have been using cat5 with baluns for video and power (2 pairs for power) with 24v and the picture is great. When I tried 12v with cat5 it sometimes was wavy and the image was not stable. Why is this? I did use siamese however on my current job, and I don't think the wiring has anything to do with the problem camera.

The first one was 24VAC, but it's not a matter of timing - the image was still blank when I came back four days later with a replacement camera. The second was 12VDC as it was a drop-in replacement for a cheapie IR bullet. And voltage difference wouldn't account for the image being intermittent when I pushed on the internal wiring.

Baluns with cheap 12V cameras will tend to introduce ground loops once you start adding two or more cameras, because the cameras have a shared ground between the video and power and you end up with multiple different-length ground paths... but that shouldn't be an issue with dual-voltage cameras.

Is it possible that one of the settings I changed could cause this problem? I'm not even sure exactly what I changed. I usually just go in and tweak the settings to get the best image for the job. I know in a previous post rory asked for settings from people, and I'm not sure what all the settings do or mean for that matter. Is there a tutorial anywhere that explains all the settings for the cnb cameras?

Returned the camera to the distributor today and got a new one and all is well!

ah the joys of living in North America

That would have cost me more than the price of the camera to send back to them and back here again

Did they say anything about what might have been the problem or they just replaced it?

They just replaced it. We tried it out at the distributor just to make sure it wasn't me.

ok then just faulty .. happens

I still wonder about this one that went black once at a client .. they are away right now so no idea if it has gone black again since then .. cant send it back as this was one I painted LOL. But in all my weeks of testing it here never had one single issue. Will wait and see.