WildCard

1 Geovision server, spanning 4 remote sites possible?

I have a customer that wants to, partly for price, partly for simplicity - have one Geovision 16 server manage cameras spanning 4 sites.

So, the server would be at one site, the local cameras would hook up to that server locally - but they have 3 other stores to cover. Any 'remote' type cams available/compatible? He wants to be able to remotely view all cams together, and also feels that a system per store would be wasteful. He is aware that even with decent broadband connection in each store, framerate will suffer.

What do you think?

-WC-

The geovision will not be the way to go here. If he feels that the frame rate will suffer for viewing over a broadband connection, wait till you tell him what streaming video over IP for offsite storage will require in bandwidth.

A recommnedation would be to use something along the lines of LuxRiot software in conjunction with IP cameras at the remote locations. Again, the bandwidth issue is not going to be cheap, and if your customer thinks the extra servers at the additional stores is a "waste", then he will cringe at the price of decent IP cameras and enough bandwidth to satisfy the project.

scottj

yeah, the standalones would work well too in order to keep stability and costs to a minimum. Rory know the Embedded products well WildCard, he can make recommendations till you are sick of seeing the word CCTV..

DataAve knows good labor rates for bidding the job. Take his Union rate minus 20% and then you have a realistic price..haha(Only kidding DataAve). But seriously, he can be a very good resource for larger bids and AE specs.

scottj

Well ... yep

Actually, how many cams at each location ...and how much are they willing to spend per system .. any extra features they need or is fast network speed the most important ..?

It really depends on how many cameras at the remote site, you can get aay with a few cameras streaming but it really depends on the bandwidth.

Bosch makes a Hybrid DVR that supports both, web streaming servers and analogue inpus, this means you can have your standard inputs and your remote web inputs into the one DVR at one site, this will work well if you have, either only a few cameras or large bandwidth.

Regards,

GC

Talked to the end user tonite, he's downgraded the request to 8 cams total, 3 in main store, 2 stores get 2, and one store gets 1.

His broadband connection in each store is either DSL 1.5 down or cablemodem, 768k-2M down.

-WC-

his upload speed is the most critical at the remote store sites, not the download bandwidth. And if you are sharing a standard DSL connection through a router at these locations, the quality and stability is going to be very difficult for you to assure him of a constant frame rate due to possible network congestion issues. The last thing you want to do is offer him a solution that is going to require multiple free service calls and a headache because he is restricted on such a tight budget. I understand that sometimes the customer can only spend so much, but sometimes the answer is "it just is not recommended" versus attempting a project that will become a money loser in the long run.

scottj

This may be what you are looking for .. except it only does Wavelet ..so wont be as fast as MPEG4, on the IP cameras ... Fred sells them also so may have more experience with them over the LAN ..

http://www.webgateinc.com/wgi_htdocs/eng/product/view.php?id=wgi_eng&no=1

Now, that said, to get a mid range DVR with Mpeg4 in a stand alone, that does multi site .. .thats the hard part.

Now in a PC, its very easy

Iview for sure does it ... 4 channel 120fps Real Time cards ... select MPEG4 and do multi site when you connect .. very fast remote video. GEO and others must do it also .. havent used them, yet.

Personally I have used GE kalatel in places where they want to watch multiple shops, they have Cable so the speed isnt bad, not as good as MPEG4 though, but still decent. Plug Play and Forget DVRs, 4-channel Storesafes in particular.

Just be willing to do service calls on the PCs when they arrise ...

are they far apart?

Same metro area, all within about 25 miles from center.

I'll check out Iview, I didn't know there was a multisite option, might do the trick!

-WC-

Scott: You're right, forgot about the measly upload speeds included with those packages.

are they far apart?

Same metro area, all within about 25 miles from center.

I'll check out Iview, I didn't know there was a multisite option, might do the trick!

-WC-

Geo has multi-site capability also. If bandwidth is minimal, I would recommend using Center V2 and only allow video streaming upon motion detection for a minimal amount of time for monitoring purposes. You still are going to have a tough time sending data over IP on such a minimal bandwidth, even if you went the FTP route it will be an issue. Streaming video to archive remotely would almost have to be controlled by setting a bandwidth limitation (50-100kb)per/sec in the configuration settings.

scottj