Bert.Twildge

Dell GX520 With Intel 845G Video Card CCTV Issue

Hi

I have a Dell GX520 tower with an Intel 82945G integrated video card running a clean install of 32bit XP Pro, SP3. The PC has the latest Dell drivers on and works well. The PC has 1TB of hard disk and 4Gb of RAM and is up to date with MS patches. Aaprt from the drivers and the cctv software there is nothing else installed on the PC, nor are there any other cards in the PC either.

I want to use the PC as a composite video PAL CCTV video recorder. I bought a new PCI 32ch video input card from inesun, the item can be seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32Ch-Video-8Ch-Audio-input-H-264-CCTV-PCI-DVR-Card-/160505852652?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item255ee4f2ec

I installed the card with no errors but I could not get a CCTV image to display from any video input. I never saw any errors from Windows. All my cameras are PAL and work fine if I send their output to a TV directly. After dealing with the very helpful manufacturer they said, in the end, that I should return the card back to them as it wouldn't work.

I then bought a new 8 channel cctv input card from eBay as shown below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180588552933

I rebuilt the Dell PC as above and installed the new card. When I start the CCTV software, which is a called HK_DVR, I receive an error saying that "the dvr system only use general display mode please update your display cards or driver". I have spoken to the vendor of the card and they say they have sold many of these cards without any problems. The video input card shows up in device manager as 8 of "Phillips 7134 video card". I've tried both Dell and Intel website video drivers, changing video resolutions, changing the performance mode but nothing will make the new card work so far. I've also tried different PAL inputs from VCRs etc in to the video card but the result is the same. I can set the card to take NTSC or PAL inputs, which I've set to PAL, but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had issues with the Intel 845G graphics card or do you have any ideas of what else I can try to make the cctv input card work before I return it? I assume the issue is with my graphics card. I do not have another PC that I can try the cctv card in, nor do I have another video card I can try in the Dell to see if the issue is related to the video card. I'd really like to get CCTV working but this is turning in to a headache!

Thanks

I had this issue a couple of years ago, sometimes I also could not get an 845 chipset to work with a Divis DVR card.

Can you shut off the directx overlay? or install a PCI or AGP Card?

I think you may want to try a different PC.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have another PC with PCI slots to try the card in I'm afraid. Having two faulty CCTV cards is unlikely, I think the Dell box is the issue. I am trying to borrow a PCI video card to put in the Dell to see if this resolves the issue.

I bought the GX520 to build as a CCTV server and so I'm reluctant to just buy a different pc. It is a shame that PCs are so integrated these days, in days of old I had plenty of cards about to swap bits around to fault find!

Thanks

Its a budget Desktop system. Perhaps add a separate Video card and see if that fixes it. Thats a really old computer and not suitable for a CCTV DVR using todays software. Not sure which CPU yours has but seems some came with Celerons.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have installed a PCIe Matrox video card in the PC and I've disabled the internal Intel card. The new graphics card works fine with other apps but when I start the DVR software I recieve the same error from the DVR software, "the dvr system only use general display mode please update your display cards or driver".

I've removed the drivers for the old Video card as well, but this hasn't helped.

The PC i'm using is 4 years old and has a 2.8GHz P4 in it, not a Celeron, though you can fit the Celeron chip to it if you wish.

If I power the PC up, RDP to it and then start the DVR software I do not get the "the dvr system only use general display mode please update your display cards or driver" message, but I can't see any video inputs on the screen.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Yeah 4 years is still old though, but the 2.8 should run most software at least better than the celeron model. So now I dont think its that.

What is your screen resolution set to?

What size is the monitor?

Is there anything from this DVR program listed in the Windows event logs?

Another thing is to test DirectX, goto run and type in dxdiag, run all the tests for video then let us know what it reports. For example inside something like Virtual Box you will get DirectX errors as it is using hacked versions of the files customized specially for that virtual environment, some DVR network apps would fail to run in that case, or produce an error - nothing to do with your case just an example.

Do you have at least DirectX 9 installed?

Can you try the card and software in another PC?

If you like, download and run this exe I created some time ago, it will produce a text based report on some of the hardware such as the motherboard, Bios, and Video - and post the results here.

http://bahamassecurity.com/dvrreport.exe

to post it here, while in the text report goto edit, select all, edit, copy, then right click paste into a message here.