c&c dan

First Post: System Advice Needed. . .NVR possible for $1k?

Howdy Everyone - VERY glad to have found this forum!

I've been browsing threads in this & the IP subforum. I'm a mechanic & the shop I work in was broken into over the weekend. Time for us to set up a camera system, so I'm researching what I can build for ~$1k USD. Might be able to stretch to $1,500.

Need to build this from the ground up - we have no hardware right now. A fairly solid wireless network is in place, but its looking like, for our budget, an analog or hybrid system may be the way to go. I'd like to base it on a simple-but-recent desktop PC (used, refurb, etc.) which would have to be part of the budget.

I thought I'd found just what we were looking for when reading threads about Exacq, but we would like 4-5 cameras (two outdoors, two indoors, one in the office) and getting individual licenses would kill our budget. . .is there another software suite that would allow remote access to the cameras (iPhone, PC browser, etc.)

I'll continue to research & here on other sites, but would LOVE any input you folks might have on our specific situation!

Is this the budget for the whole system, or JUST the NVR? You could get into a ready-to-go NVR from QNAP, based on their network storage systems - http://www.qnapsecurity.com - the NVP104P, for example, can be found for around $500. Just add hard drive(s) and cameras!

If the budget is unrealistic, I'll talk to the bosses & see what can be done. I'm new to all of this, so advice on all things, budget included, is MUCH appreciated!

I don't know if it's unrealistic, you didn't answer the question: is it for the NVR alone, or for the entire system? Your subject asks if an NVR is possible for $1000, and the short answer, as demonstrated, is yes.

Whether an entire system can be done for a $1000-$1500 budget depends on how many cameras you're looking at, and exactly what your needs are. IP cameras can be had ranging from $150 to $15,000.

BTW, don't even consider using your wireless network. Wireless is too slow and unreliable for running security video, unless you're willing to get into purpose-designed systems such as those from Ubiquiti... and even then, wireless should be implemented only as a last resort, if there's no other (cost-effective) way to get the signal there.

Thanks for clarifying - I didn't answer the questions as I thought I'd stated all of that in my original post. We need to build a system from the ground up - we have nothing. Hoping to build a system w/ 4-5 cameras.

So, DVR = analog cameras, correct? That could work well, but are there any DVR systems that allow for remote monitoring? (and fit the budget?)

So, DVR = analog cameras, correct? That could work well, but are there any DVR systems that allow for remote monitoring? (and fit the budget?)

i would also go analog with your budget or go hybrid. your budget is low. but have a look at this .......... you could end up with a good system on that budget.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Guest

Chris - thanks for pointing me to the Mace SQ line - certainly seems to be the features we're after, and within our budget. Anyone have experience w/ these?

Chris - thanks for pointing me to the Mace SQ line - certainly seems to be the features we're after, and within our budget. Anyone have experience w/ these?

the main thing is them lead kits waste of time...... and why do they not give you the spec of the dvr........ how can you tell what you are buying

found the spec on 1 of the dvrs ............. cif machines. also ask the question remote viewing does it do mobile ..../iphone/bb/

Some... we're doing integration with our IP cameras into the VMS software(You'd know it as PSS) as we don't use the same factory for IP cameras. Apparently we're doing a complete overhaul of the Mace VMS software when we do. I should have a copy of the new software next week. I can shoot you a copy after I take a look at it.

Working on a whole new mobile app suite for the entire line(not just the live viewing apps currently available.). Would love some suggestions on what you'd want to see in a mobile app btw.

Integrated it into the MACE CS(formally CSSS) alarm central station for Video Verification.

Thats all I know of at the moment.

Do the others you've seen do 1080p on the HDMI output? Ours has it, but the other two companies I've seen max at 720p.

yeah the one we use is 720p max also

Mobile apps, I dont currently use a cell phone so cant help you there (small island LOL).

otherwise I use a netbook for everything else outside of my desktop, and i run my software or a stripped down PSS on that

Sure id like to check it out when its available.

Thanks

The others are right... stick with analog cams and a decent DVR to stay in your budget.

Be careful of "bundle" packages like those toy systems you see all over Ebay and Sam's Club. Every now and then they come with a halfway decent DVR but the cameras and cables are always total junk.

Anyone have experience with the SVAT line, specifically the CLEARVU4? Seems like decent specs, TONS of cameras & a nice price. . .

LINK

Anyone have experience with the SVAT line, specifically the CLEARVU4? Seems like decent specs, TONS of cameras & a nice price. . .

LINK

^^^ junk stay away

Thank you for confirming that - I was about to edit my post after reading the few replies I was able to find. Shame the market seems to be FLOODED with generic/questionable products at our pricepoint. . .

Thank you for confirming that - I was about to edit my post after reading the few replies I was able to find. Shame the market seems to be FLOODED with generic/questionable products at our pricepoint. . .

In many cases these days the DVR isnt even that bad, also the DVR is only 30fps recording max, meaning 1-2fps per camera. The camera specs are questionable. Its a low res narrow view being a 1/4" 3.6 mm ... for comparison.

QuatInchVsThirdInch.jpg.c2733c7405090b19cacbbb753ae1332b.jpg