ChrisH

Looking for a good storage solution. DVR/NVR

Hello all, I found this site a few weeks ago and have been doing a lot of reading. Thanks for all the great info on here. I work for an electrical contractor that does a fair amount of low voltage work, cameras, card access, burg panels, etc. What I have been finding the most difficult part is getting reps/suppliers to tell the whole truth and in the end getting a good product. What I am looking for is your opinions on company's that offer various forms of video storage solutions and have worked well for you. We used to use Ganz/CBC DVR's, but we had some problems with them and are now looking for a better solution. I have some Digital Watchdog demo stuff coming this week, but have not heard too much favorable things about them either. The majority of the installs we do would require a mid grade to high end DVR and lately I have been getting quite a few requests to ugrade to IP/MP systems. We currently have no solution for this that we use and I would really like it if the same company would provide a wide range of products from DVR's to NVR's to Hybrid units, possibly all using the same software. Tech support/Rep support is also a huge selling point. I've been dealing with some customers older Honeywell systems lately and I cannot stand talking to someone I can barley understand anymore. So in a nut shell, I'm looking for an end to end solution, good tech/rep support, easy to navigate/use software and a decent all around product. Am I asking too much? Oh, and I am located in the Midwest. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Not to get too far from my OP.....I do have some IT knowledge, but obviously I don't know what I don't know so I'm not sure how versed in IT I need to be to roll out an IP solution. We do work with a third party IT guy for small business that either do their own or subcontract someone out of house. Thanks for the concern, I'm with you.

Not to get too far from my OP.....I do have some IT knowledge, but obviously I don't know what I don't know so I'm not sure how versed in IT I need to be to roll out an IP solution. We do work with a third party IT guy for small business that either do their own or subcontract someone out of house. Thanks for the concern, I'm with you.

What I don't want to do is wait around for someone else in my area to start doing the IP/MP work. Even though I don't know much about it now I need to jump in at some point. Why not now. That is the main reason I'm looking for a partner company that will have decent product/techincal support. That way I have someone behind me when I do run into a problem, or application question. Some names I have seen pop up quite often around here are Exacq and 3xlogic. Anyone have experience with either of these companies? Thanks for your input.

The majority of the installs we do would require a mid grade to high end DVR and lately I have been getting quite a few requests to ugrade to IP/MP systems. We currently have no solution for this that we use and I would really like it if the same company would provide a wide range of products from DVR's to NVR's to Hybrid units, possibly all using the same software. Tech support/Rep support is also a huge selling point.

Some names I have seen pop up quite often around here are Exacq and 3xlogic. Anyone have experience with either of these companies?

Chris, we've been dealing with 3xLogic (formerly CamAcc) for at least 6-7 years now... their Vigil systems match your above criteria perfectly. All their DVR/hDVR/NVR machines use the same server software and work with the same client and VCM/VMS system. Even their small "mobile" systems use the same software. They also have an "HD Viewer" product for displaying multiple IP cameras on additional VGA/DVI displays, built-in analytics, their own line of external RAID storage, extensive POS support, and various other specialized features.

Their tech support has also been very good, on the whole. We've done a fair bit of work with them developing some customized modules for one of our larger customers.

Maybe Erron S. will chip in here, he's a 3xLogic rep who stops by now and then

What I don't want to do is wait around for someone else in my area to start doing the IP/MP work. Even though I don't know much about it now I need to jump in at some point. Why not now.

BTW, nothing wrong with this idea... helped us steal one of our larger clients from a competitor, when they wanted to go to megapixel, and the competitor didn't want to bother learning anything about it. (Not the only reason, mind you, but the main one that got our foot in the door).

What I would suggest, is getting a little training in IP networking. Nothing too extreme, you don't need a CNA or anything. Despite what some would have you believe, a university degree is NOT required to deal with IP cameras. A basic understanding of how TCP/IP works will take you a long way.

What I don't want to do is wait around for someone else in my area to start doing the IP/MP work. Even though I don't know much about it now I need to jump in at some point. Why not now.

BTW, nothing wrong with this idea... helped us steal one of our larger clients from a competitor, when they wanted to go to megapixel, and the competitor didn't want to bother learning anything about it. (Not the only reason, mind you, but the main one that got our foot in the door).

What I would suggest, is getting a little training in IP networking. Nothing too extreme, you don't need a CNA or anything. Despite what some would have you believe, a university degree is NOT required to deal with IP cameras. A basic understanding of how TCP/IP works will take you a long way.

+100

You are certainly not asking too much Chris. In fact, it sounds what you are looking for a partner and not just a supplier.

Thanks Soundy, I try my best to get here as often as I can.

You are certainly not asking too much Chris. In fact, it sounds what you are looking for a partner and not just a supplier.

Erron, you are exactly correct. I'd much rather buy from someone who understands the big picture than the someone who is just trying to make a sale and move on. I'll give you a call. Thanks

Thanks to the rest of you for your knowledge. I have taken some basic online networking courses and do have a general knowledge, but I love to learn and it will expand.

As far as the Vigil vs. Exacq any other opinions.

You are certainly not asking too much Chris. In fact, it sounds what you are looking for a partner and not just a supplier. This is what we do my friend. Maybe a conversation would be in order? Feel free to give me a ring or email any time.

Erron, you are exactly correct. I'd much rather buy from someone who understands the big picture than the someone who is just trying to make a sale and move on. I'll give you a call. Thanks

Glad I could help. Now where's my commission?

Thanks to the rest of you for your knowledge. I have taken some basic online networking courses and do have a general knowledge, but I love to learn and it will expand.

If you have a solid understanding of TCP/IP basics (IP ranges, subnet masks, default routes, etc.) you should have no problem with IP cameras. Advanced training on things like VLANs and Layer 3 management will help once you start getting into larger systems with numerous cameras, but isn't really critical for the first half-dozen or so cameras.

Check is in the mail Soundy.

There are always new installers that have 'a little' network experience. We show them how to identify a network and run the vast array of manufactures finder utilities and setup the camera through the web browser and see where it goes from there. We start off slowly and get more and more complex until we see the "deer in the headlights". That's when we stop. Some trainings are a few hours, some last for 3-5 days, it all depends on how in depth they want to get. We see everything from -never done it- all the way to full blown multi-certification 20 year veterans in the IT field.

Check is in the mail Soundy.

There are always new installers that have 'a little' network experience. We show them how to identify a network and run the vast array of manufactures finder utilities and setup the camera through the web browser and see where it goes from there. We start off slowly and get more and more complex until we see the "deer in the headlights". That's when we stop. Some trainings are a few hours, some last for 3-5 days, it all depends on how in depth they want to get. We see everything from -never done it- all the way to full blown multi-certification 20 year veterans in the IT field.

Oooo, that sounds like a challenge!