ChrisH

Parking Lot

I have a pretty basic parking lot senario. I have a 200' deep x 400' wide parking lot running parallet to a 20' high factory building. Currently they have one PTZ on one end of the building covering a loading dock and some of the parking lot. That PTZ has gone bad and want to replace that one and add one or two more PTZ's. What are your thoughts on PTZ's? They are fun, but I think near worthless unless someone is watching/controlling them. Put them on a tour and you can only cover so much at one time anyways. My question is, do I forgo the PTZ's for fixed cameras? The only bad part it not being able to zoom on something for the few times you want to. Thoughts? Thanks

For the same price of a quality PTZ, you can purchase one or a few very high resolution fixed cameras. This way, you can record a larger scene, and if needed, go back and use digital PTZ on the recorded video for analysis later.

In the coming decade we can anticipate some very sophisticated auto PTZ cameras. In the mean time, unless the PTZ is manned, you are probably better off with higher resolution fixed cameras.

Best,

Christopher

The concept is interesting, but watching the youtube clip made me dizzy. It looks like the camera is just constantly jumping around.

The concept is interesting, but watching the youtube clip made me dizzy. It looks like the camera is just constantly jumping around.

please note, that it still a prototype...

but the aim is - to "shoot" all people and car movements at the parking area and it works, isn't?

Regards,

Alexander

Ptz is great but you could you use two bullet cameras to do the samething. I will need more info...

Thanks

I have a pretty basic parking lot senario. I have a 200' deep x 400' wide parking lot running parallet to a 20' high factory building.

i think there is enough info there to see two bullet cameras will not do the job.

Ptz is great but you could you use two bullet cameras to do the samething. I will need more info...

Thanks

I have a pretty basic parking lot senario. I have a 200' deep x 400' wide parking lot running parallet to a 20' high factory building.

i think there is enough info there to see two bullet cameras will not do the job.

Sure 2 99$ bullet cameras will cover this no problem

Mike why do we sell megapix cams when other can do with 2-$ 99 bullets

I feel ...

Mike why do we sell megapix cams when other can do with 2-$ 99 bullets

I feel ...

Same reason you go into a retail premise these days and see the roof lined with crappy domes and you propose that your MP's are a better solution and you only need about half the current number and some self professed expert argues that you wont have the same coverage.

The OP did not mention the intent of the surveillance, but if the intent is to catch someone who hopped the fence and entered the premises, I would rather have two or three $150 cameras with iPhone viewer and put the rest of budget towards PIR and/or perimeter IR beams that would text me when someone hopped the fence. If you call the police while they are on the premises, and you can tell the dispatcher that you see them right now, you have a much higher probability of catching them than giving the police 2 MP images taken with $1,000 cameras hours after they are gone.

Best,

Christopher

The OP did not mention the intent of the surveillance, but if the intent is to catch someone who hopped the fence and entered the premises, I would rather have two or three $150 cameras with iPhone viewer and put the rest of budget towards PIR and/or perimeter IR beams that would text me when someone hopped the fence. If you call the police while they are on the premises, and you can tell the dispatcher that you see them right now, you have a much higher probability of catching them than giving the police 2 MP images taken with $1,000 cameras hours after they are gone.

Best,

Christopher

I know its a month later ... but there's no reason why you can't do the same thing with MP's. Software these days gives you the option of all forms of alerts if there's movement in a certain area.

I know its a month later ... but there's no reason why you can't do the same thing with MP's. Software these days gives you the option of all forms of alerts if there's movement in a certain area.

Do you think MP cameras can match the motion sensing capabilities of PIRs and IR Beams?

Best,

Christopher

And what MP cameras and VMS are you talking about?

And what MP cameras and VMS are you talking about?

That's what I'd like to know.

My Panasonic 502 MP camera sees as far as the edge of the street light. My Redwall PIR sees 300 feet beyond the street light into total darkness. A small army of burglars could dance a jig undetected by the 502 just beyond the street light, but no one makes it past the Redwall. In the next few days I need to knock down a wasp nest that is growing near the 502, causing countless false motion alarms during the day. The Redwall is unaffected with zero false alarms. This talk about MP cameras replacing high-end PIRs looks good on paper, but in real world scenarios, um, good luck with that.

Best,

Christopher

Do you think MP cameras can match the motion sensing capabilities of PIRs and IR Beams?

Best,

Christopher

I think he means you could do the same as you would with $150 bullets (though the $150 bullets might see more in low light) .. by adding in the optex beams to the NVR as well .. though the cost is much higher so I guess it would depend on the budget.

Best,

Christopher

I think he means you could do the same as you would with $150 bullets

Perhaps, but he mentioned "all forms of alerts if there's movement", which sounds like he is suggesting that cameras can do the work of PIRs.

Best,

Christopher

From everything i have read=seen=heard.

Use 1 MP camera to replace 32 regular cameras in a Parking lot situation.

Seams to be a win win situation all the way arround.