Toaster

Q-See QT428 8CH DVR consumer review (with pictures)

This is long (sorry in advance).

QT4284035-1.jpg

This is my consumer review of the Q-see QT428 8CH DVR. Which is actually made by TVT and is a TD-2308SE.

Records in D1 or CIF. Give's you 240 FPS at CIF or 60 FPS at D1 to distribute among the 8CH as you please. In my case, since I am currently only using 4 camera's (as an example) I can use all 60 FPS in 4 channels and get D1 at 15fps on each of the 4 cameras. You can set each channel to record individually, FPS, Resolution, Quality, Bit rate up to 2048k at D1 (either CBR or VBR and in VBR there is also a quality setting).

This model came preinstalled with 500GB HDD, has a single sata port and can be upgraded to 2TB drive. It has a graphic user interface that is pretty straight forward to setup. Remote control is next to useless imo. The mouse is just a little bit better. The best way is to get your network setup asap, then using Windows Internet Explorer, log in remotely on your LAN, install the ActiveX interface and complete setup there with keyboard and mouse on a PC. (sorry mac users - no support yet, but TVT says their working on it)

I was able to get Email alerts working using a Gmail account (using SSL), and it will send out the alerts as your select them to up to 3 recipients. (I thought this was nice). Example: it detects motion, snaps 3 pictures over 6 seconds and emails me those 3 pictures during motion event schedule, video loss, etc...

It automatically sync's to internet time servers at user selectable intervals so the clock is always accurate. It has a single wired ethernet port on the back, so no wifi.

The only thing that would throw a common user a curve ball is the DVR will only work with a computer monitor hooked up through the VGA port on initial power up. NO MENU OUTPUT VIA COMPOSITE OUT OF THE BOX. This was not an issue for me, but- for anyone else beware, you will absolutely need a computer monitor in the beginning, once you log in to the system and turn on the composite output (which KILLS the vga port btw), you'll get menu access through composite and can complete setup on a standard tv or whatever.

The DVR records in scheduled/continuous mode, scheduled motion detection mode, alarm sensor mode... One of things I liked about this one I was able to setup motion detection only during CLOSED hours, and recording 24/7, so this way I only get motion email alerts while we are closed - which worked out perfectly for me, as I have a retail store and wouldn't want email alerts every time a customer walked in the door or pulled in the parking lot. Motion detection is very good, and you can select the area you want to detect motion and the sensitivity level, it brings up a grid over live video and you turn on/off squares in the to detect motion... And you can mask out sections of video completely, I'm sure that has its place - but I don't know why.

It is remote viewable through a WINDOWS PC AND INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY USING ACTIVATE X CONTROL (or smart phone, iphone, blackberry, android, etc). NO MACINTOSH VIEWING OR ACCESS POSSIBLE AT THIS TIME, but an email to TVT tech support claims that a macintosh app is in the works for release soon...? The active x control interface in IE is pretty good in my opinion. I can remotely configure the entire DVR even when not on the LAN. I can select single view, quad view, 6 view, 9 view, etc... I can select master stream or sub (net) stream to view, either for all channels or individual channels. Change color settings on cameras, configure alerts, schedule, backup video, review video, all through the internet explorer activex app. THERE IS NO CLIENT PC/WINDOWS SOFTWARE AT ALL, ITS ALL ACTIVEX INTERNET EXPLORER BASED. Of course remote viewing requires you to setup port forwarding on your router, so you'll need to learn or know how to do that.

I've only used the iPhone remote viewing app, and The iphone viewing software is pretty nice too. You can only see the low resolution sub stream feed (CIF), but you can see 4-way quad view on the phone, which is nice. It uses SuperCam Pro for iPhone

You can take a snapshot of a camera, record a bit of video directly from a camera to the phone, pretty cool I thought. Rotate sideways gives you a full screen view of either single camera or bigger quad view. Oh and viewing is only for LIVE playback through smartphone. You can NOT review recorded video on the phone, but you can on a pc.

mzluhzljoen320x48075-1.jpgmzlvodmosub320x48075-1.jpg

mzlnkuxzivr320x48075-1.jpg

Backing up the video is pretty simple, save's in h264 compressed .avi format, but does require a windows codec to be installed for playback since it is h264 encoded, and it does NOT have to be ITS codec - any valid h264 codec works. And when you download some video, the IE app ask's if you want to download the windows codec.exe everytime, so no matter where you are when saving (backup) video, it will give you the chance to download the codec right then and there (which is tiny btw) and allows playback in media player in windows. And you can download specific time segments instead of the entire 30 minute save clip... Download only 9:12 to 9:13 instead of 9:00 to 9:30... which brings me to the next part, it records 30 minute sections When backing up or remote viewing, you can search backup and view multiple channels, single channel, time frame or event based searches on specific channels or all channels. Its pretty common sense based, and not confusing.. YMMV.

There are a string of BLUE LED's on the right top edge of the face on the DVR, one shows NET activity so you know when someone is logged in viewing the camera's. You can allow up to 10 users at a time and you can set everyone up with their own user account and password each with different restrictions, options, viewing rights, only view certain cameras, only log on when local, etc.. VERY FLEXIBLE. I can see that being very advantageous for you pro's...

The DVR box itself boots quickly, within 45 seconds - runs silent, has a spot for a small <60mm (?) case fan (which is not installed), came with a green power WD 500GB HDD. Like I said trying to navigate through the menu's using the buttons, remote control is painful, the mouse is better - maybe a BETTER MOUSE might help I havn't tried that.

Quickly on the camera's, they are Q-see 1/4 Sony CCD 420TVL with IR night vision. Basic cheap color day, b/w night, cameras. The night IR distance is impressive easily covering 40+ feet, but the quality of the video (day/night) is just OK. As has been discussed before, you're gonna want better camera's and you'll want them faster than you think. AT LEAST I KNOW I DO

This "bundle" comes with 4x 3.6mm wide angle lens cameras, which are clearer in the center and "blurrier" on the outer edges. Like I said, for the price, and since they all come together in a package - they're ok, but like I said in my last review of the q-see products, these DIY bundle's are targeting ME - a cheap skate guy who wanted basic surveillance. The PRO's won't be satisfied at all. Remember, this is a $300 complete kit with 8CH DVR, 500gb HDD, 4x Cameras and 4x 60ft cables, power supplies, etc.

Timestamp is encoded over the video, can be adjusted, size, position, color... Can name specific cameras or disable naming.

Has DDNS server support, which is free and easy to setup.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Just a follow up, in case anyone care's...

I had two of these diy systems, one at work and one at home. The one at work worked great, no issues with the exception of occasionally having to hit "connect" several times to remotely connect for viewing on my iphone - which was more than likely an issue with my cellular service more so than the dvr itself.

The other DVR quickly started to restart randomly... I finally realized it did it whenever the HDD filled up. My guess is the HDD had an issue, and NOT the dvr itself, though I never actually tested my theory by replacing the HDD - I'm 99% sure that doing so would have solved it. Instead the place of purchase offered me a replacement because I was unsatisfied with its performance and I took the opportunity to upgrade to 30fps d1 qt528 model, which I then installed at work, and transplanted the 428 from the store to home, so now the store get 30fps d1 and the house gets 7.5fps d1.

FWIW: Searching google for this model or the other q-see models I reviewed bring up this forum and my threads... there's just NOT a lot of info on these things out there, so I have a feeling other consumers like my self have visited here to read those.

Are you talking about on the live monitor or on the recorded video? I don't see any "dull" look - unless maybe your talking about the CIF feed (second stream) vs D1 feed (Master stream).

If you're viewing on a PC, right click on a video panel, and you'll get an option for master stream or second stream... choose master stream and see if that helps

Toaster, GREAT info!

You were right there is not much info out there on these systems. You said you have 2 systems, hardware different? or just the settings?

Thanx

I have a QT428 at my house, and DID have a QT428 at my store, but I upgraded the one at the store to the QT528 which does D1 @ 30FPS and came with 1/3" CCD sensor DSP cameras which are much larger than the 1/4" CCD cameras that came with the 428 setup.

The QT528 can hold 2 sata drives, and comes in a HUGE enclosure - unnecessarily large

My brother also bought the 8ch QT428 setup with all 8 cameras (1/4") and is extremely happy with it.

The QT428 8ch DVR with 4 smaller 1/4" ccd camera's was like $400, and the QT528 8ch DVR with 4 larger 1/3" ccd cameras was about $600... Honestly I think it's worth the extra $200. the 528 DVR comes with a 1TB HDD but records 30FPS, so the storage is about the same (10 days or so at maximum settings)... the 1/3" cameras are considerably larger, but I think give better quality images, and a much larger field of view.

Oh and realize that images and image quality from these albeit older technology do not hold a candle to the newer IP camera's available out there... but a single IP camera can cost as much as my entire system --- So at some point you have to find a balance of quality and affordability. I do like my set up's, and would recommend them to anyone - especially for the price. Google around and you'll find the prices I'm talking about...

OH and there is a 4ch setup (QC444) with 4 camera's for around $250 -- so these are what they are, inexpensive surveillance systems for the DIY'er... and my opinion, great systems to get you "in to it" without breaking the bank..........

I hope that answers your questions

Costco has a nice sale on the QT428 going on for $399, now you mention the other model, it's going for $599. Is it REALLY worth it, for the extra 200?

Than there are a few others,

[edit by mod-store link removed]

Really undecided here, LOL...

(links are not allowed btw )

Is it worth it? That depends on the individual situation. I think getting 8x 1/4" ccd cameras with a 8ch dvr that records D1 at 7.5fps per channel, all for $400 is an amazing deal. My brother has this setup, and having all 8 cameras around his house gives him amazing coverage all the way around.

At my store, for example, I don't need 8 cameras - I'm currently using 5 and don't need 5 however because the $600 bundle comes with 1/3" sensor cameras, those large sensor cameras have a wider field of view and are MUCH better for MY SPECIFIC APPLICATION... so for me it was easy - but I didn't NEED the extra 4 camera's..........

Plus I got 30fps D1 which just makes me happy......... as someone pointed out to me- this is surveillance not hollywood, you're not making a movie, your gathering evidence.... at 7.5 or 8 FPS is more than sufficient for that purpose.

Personally I don't see how anyone can beat $400 for 8 cameras, 8 cables, an 8ch h.264 dvr which supports most popular smart phones for remote live viewing, and power supplies... about $54/camera after tax... C'mon man... " title="Applause" />

So I guess when it comes down to it, we are comparing apples to oranges. A cheaper 8 camera system ($400) to a more expensive 4 camera system ($600).

the cheap 1/3" color IR cameras are also normally much better overall cameras than the cheap 1/4" color IR cameras.

Sorry about posting the Link...

Ok, back to square one...

A few years back I got the Q-see PCI card, and was ok with it, then it quit working. Now I want to go with DVR type. Costco had a GREAT deal $399 for the QT428 WITH 8 camera's. I made up my mind and decided to get it, OUT of stock....

I see there are some ok deals out there on like the QC444-411 or the QR414-411, but they don't look as good as the QT428... The QT428 had cams that had over 500 lines, these others don't seem to have that. I really want to stay under 399. Are there any video samples out there from the QC444-411 or the QR414-411?

Thanx...

That most recent deal your talking about were cmos cameras. My understanding is CMOS is not as high quality as CCD camera's.

Don't judge q-see by your previous experience. As I understand it, all q-see really does i buy/contract hardware from other vendors and rebadge with their logo.

The QC444 is actually a Dahua dvr which is one of the favorites by the pro's here. The QT528 and QT428 are made by TVT, which (again as I understand it) to be one of the better chinese manufactures (though not held in as high regard as the Dahua or others)

I'm sure the DIY bundle deals are over now (from that reseller) until Christmas time again - though I could be wrong.

There are several people HERE who sell CCTV equipment. Look at the PARTNERS section to the left of your screen.... You might end up being able to get true PROFESSIONAL GRADE stuff on the cheap from them....

I recently ordered both bundles from Costco - the 4 camera/QC444 one and the 8 camera/QT428 one. The 4 camera bundle has 1/4" Sony CCD 3.6mm cameras with 420 TV lines where as the 8 camera bundle has 1/3" CMOS 5mm cameras with 500 TV lines. I installed both cameras in the same positions and I feel that the image from the 1/3" CMOS cameras was definitely better than the one from the 1/4" CCDs. The field of view was also a tad larger than the one on the CCDs. The CMOS cameras also have 36 IR LEDs compared to 24 IR LEDs on the CCD cameras. This gives better night vision, IMO.

The DVRs being manufactured by different vendors also have different interfaces and slightly different features. The QC444 DVR is flaky, IMO. My first bundle from Costco had to be returned because the DVR kept locking up right out of the box. The replacement is fine for the most part. However, it's supposed to let you record live and view previously recorded footage at the same time. In my experience, it would freeze when viewing previously recorded footage and would require a reboot. Eventually, I had to download the files off the DVR and view them offline to get to the footage that I was seeking. If the button on the front panel is pressed for 3 seconds, it's supposed to power down the DVR. This never worked on either of the 2 QC444 DVRs that I received.

Comparison between QC444 and QT428

=========================

- One nice thing about the QC444 was that it supported D1 at 30fps on Channel 1 without affecting channels 2-4. On the QT428, if I want D1@30fps on any channel, I have to reduce the frame rate on the other channels even if they are recording in CIF.

- The QC444 also has a "watermark" setting which is lacking on the QT428 though I'm not sure how/what it's used for. I'm guessing it's for authenticating the video footage in legal settings.

- The QC444 can be rebooted from the web interface where as the QT428 cannot.

- The QC444 can be set to reboot on a periodic schedule which the QT428 cannot

- You can set a HDD low water mark on the QC444 based on a percentage of disk space and it will alert you (e-mail, buzzer, etc) when the HDD gets full. On the QT428, the alert is based on a fixed amount of remaining HDD space (0MB - 2GB).

- QC444 has a separate on/off switch at the back which is lacking on the QT428.

- QC444 has a smaller footprint than the Qt428 which is to be expected as it only supports 4 cameras

- QT428 has 8 alarm inputs and an alarm output which can be tied to an alarm system if you have one. That way an alarm relay can start the recording on a given camera, or conversely, motion detected on a camera can set off an alarm.

- Both DVRs are whisper quiet which was very nice

- I had trouble downloading recorded files from the QC444 onto an external FAT-32 formatted USB HDD. However, it seemed to work fine with an SD card in a USB adapter. I haven't checked this with the QT428.

- QC444 backs up files in a proprietary format. One nice thing is that when you back up the files onto external media, the DVR also includes an executable and necessary codecs, etc to play the backed up files. You can download a player from the q-see website that will convert the proprietary format video to .avi. The QT428, otoh, allows you to save the files in .avi eliminating one extra step of conversion which can be tedious if you're looking at backing up lots of video.

- QC444 allows fast forwarding 8x where as Qt428 allows 16x

- QC444 allows recording upto 120 min per file where as the QT428 has a 30-min per file hard limit which cannot be configured.

- QT428 remote has a power button. However, it still requires the user to confirm on a monitor using a mouse which, IMO, defeats the whole purpose. If I need to have a monitor connected simply to confirm the power down, I might as well initiate it from the monitor and not even bother to use the remote.

- The QT428 brings up a live video window when enabling the motion detect mask. This is helpful as you know exactly where the motion will be detected. The QC444 brings up a blank window so you have to guess which squares to enable on the grid.

- e-mail and DDNS were similar on both DVRs although I've noticed that the q-see DDNS website seems to be down every weekend and holidays.

- QC444 uses an Android app provided by q-see and it seemed to work fine. QT428 allows remote viewing on a smart phone using SuperCam. I haven't had a chance to use it so can't compare the two.

- The QT428 supports PTZ cameras which the QC444 doesn't. I don't have PTZ cameras so I can't comment on how well the functionality works on the 428

Cheers

Although I havent used the specific QC444, the following is in reference to the same model under a different name. (the actual manufacturer is Dahua)

- The QT428 brings up a live video window when enabling the motion detect mask. This is helpful as you know exactly where the motion will be detected. The QC444 brings up a blank window so you have to guess which squares to enable on the grid.

Locally you should be able to see the video, only over the network it normally does not show.

- e-mail and DDNS were similar on both DVRs although I've noticed that the q-see DDNS website seems to be down every weekend and holidays.

I would bypass that totally and use a service like DynDns.com, and enter the info into your router instead so that way you can admin the router as well if needed, and other PCs.

- QC444 uses an Android app provided by q-see and it seemed to work fine.

The manufacturer has apps for almost all OS and Mobile phones. (see link in my sig)

I forgot about the .dav video file format on the QC444.... as I remember, isn't there another app that automatically save's them as .avi ?

I forgot about the .dav video file format on the QC444.... as I remember, isn't there another app that automatically save's them as .avi ?

there is a player from the manufacturer that lets you play or convert them.

you can download the files straight to AVI using their PSS Network software also.

or there is my custom dav to avi converter .. just a rebuild of the player SDK.

I also just put up a program that converts multiple dav files and monitors a folder for new files to convert.

Thanks for your reply, Rory.

Locally you should be able to see the video, only over the network it normally does not show.

I've been configuring the DVRs over the network except for the initial setup where I connect them to my monitor so I wasn't aware of this.

I would bypass that totally and use a service like DynDns.com, and enter the info into your router instead so that way you can admin the router as well if needed, and other PCs.

I've registered with DynDns.com but have been having trouble using the service with both the DVR as well as my router. The myq-see.com DDNS seems to work (when myq-see.com is up) but I've never been able to get my dynamic IP associated with the domain I have chosen on DynDns. Maybe, this weekend I will troubleshoot this and get it working.

Also, thanks for the tip on the bulk conversion tool that you've developed.

I've been configuring the DVRs over the network except for the initial setup where I connect them to my monitor so I wasn't aware of this.

Yeah I wish they would fix this, I originally setup the DVRs locally or preset them, but adjusting the motion masking would be so much easier If I can do it remotely as I go back online anyway and adjust the scheduling and encoding sometimes.

There is a new firmware out which is 2.608, but I havent got my hands on it yet. I wonder if they address this issue in that version, they claim that firmware will add in the fast play all cameras feature which is not available in previous versions (eg. 2.606) and which has been the biggest complaint from clients.

Update...

Costco has the QT428 back online with 4 cams for $299 instead of 8 cam swetup for $399...

How can you go wrong for $299. I ordered it. They said no problems returning it to a local store if I'm not happy with it...

Should be a week yet before I get it...

Does anyone know what gives this systems video its dull washed out look.

something local to the system it's being viewed on

-because we got exceptionally crisp images on our iPhone with the same dvr's.

We utilized and where the official representatives for Dahua in South Africa from around 2004. Our entire network was fully versed and cut their teeth on Dahua DVR's - as the standalone was hardly mainstream at that time in 2004 , here. We switched to TVT to fill that portion of our lower - mid end applications around December 2010, and our entire network made the switch as well.

We haven't had any negative feedback about the TVT dvr's and I quite confidently say, that our network integrators are well qualified to comment on the one versus the other.

Just as when we started with Dahua back in 2004, and we battled to get to grips with the market - as they specifically targeted mid end installations. Eventually we had them develop entry level models and the brand took off from there. In similar fashion there are some small issues that we are discussing with TVT to have them adapt for our market and I am confident that this brand, in that market segment will perform well.

One thing that gets a lot of compliments is the mobile phone apps - especially the supercam app from the apple app store.

As we where very used to the dahua product with a RMA of under 2% that was a critical factor for us - and we where given sufficient evidence of a global 1.86% RMA for TVT DVR's.

Price wise there is very little to seperate them and performance wise, each has it's benefits and disadvantages over the other.

Another area in which our users have complimented, is the extremely easy to use interface of the TVT DVR's --- we always thought the Dahua unit had a user friendly interface, until we started to get the comments about how user friendly the TVT DVR interface is.

In the real budget end with SE series, that market really likes the slim, small form factor.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and security surveillance in general. I am interested in this Q-see 428 from Costco. It is the correct price point for us ($300). However Costco also has the Swann Alpha ‘Defend & Deter’ for $249 after $200 off.

The biggest difference I can see is that the Q-See 428 comes with Cmos Cameras capable of up to 100' night vision and the Swan Degend and Deter comes with CCD cameras that do up to 65'. I am torn between the two. Are there any other systems in this price range that I shold consider over these two?

Q-See QSM5265C

Weatherproof

Capture 520 TV lines of resolution

1/3" enhanced infrared cut sensors for higher quality picture, accurate colors, and better image quality in the day or night

36 infrared LED lights that can record at a distance up to 100ft in the dark

5mm Lens which provides a 50°-55° radrius of vision

3-Axis brackets allowing precise positioning of cameras, while guiding the cables directly through the brackets to reduce vandalism

Swan CCD

Image Sensor: Color 1/4" Sony CCD

Video Quality: 480 TV Lines

Pixels: 510 x 492 (NTSC) 628 x 582 (PAL)

Minimum Illumination: 0 Lux (IR on)

Day/Night Mode: Color during day / switches to B&W at night

Electronic Shutter: 1/60 - 1/100,000 NTSC

Gain Control: Automatic

Backlight Compensation: Yes

Wide Dynamic Range: No

Lens: 3.6mm

Viewing Angle: 62 degrees

Night Vision Distance: Up to 65ft/20m

IR Cut Filter: No

Number of Infrared LEDs:12

Infrared Wavelength: 850nm

Infrared LED Life: 10,000 hrs

James

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and security surveillance in general. I am interested in this Q-see 428 from Costco. It is the correct price point for us ($300). However Costco also has the Swann Alpha ‘Defend & Deter’ for $249 after $200 off.

The biggest difference I can see is that the Q-See 428 comes with Cmos Cameras capable of up to 100' night vision and the Swan Degend and Deter comes with CCD cameras that do up to 65'. I am torn between the two. Are there any other systems in this price range that I shold consider over these two?

Q-See QSM5265C

Weatherproof

Capture 520 TV lines of resolution

1/3" enhanced infrared cut sensors for higher quality picture, accurate colors, and better image quality in the day or night

36 infrared LED lights that can record at a distance up to 100ft in the dark

5mm Lens which provides a 50°-55° radrius of vision

3-Axis brackets allowing precise positioning of cameras, while guiding the cables directly through the brackets to reduce vandalism

Swan CCD

Image Sensor: Color 1/4" Sony CCD

Video Quality: 480 TV Lines

Pixels: 510 x 492 (NTSC) 628 x 582 (PAL)

Minimum Illumination: 0 Lux (IR on)

Day/Night Mode: Color during day / switches to B&W at night

Electronic Shutter: 1/60 - 1/100,000 NTSC

Gain Control: Automatic

Backlight Compensation: Yes

Wide Dynamic Range: No

Lens: 3.6mm

Viewing Angle: 62 degrees

Night Vision Distance: Up to 65ft/20m

IR Cut Filter: No

Number of Infrared LEDs:12

Infrared Wavelength: 850nm

Infrared LED Life: 10,000 hrs

James

Some pointers ---

While the Qsee DVR has 720p Live View --- the best most any dvr's are going to record is 4CIF (Lucky if you get actual 480TVL) So paying extra for the 500+ TVL is a waste.

The difference in a camera with an Infra Red Cut Filter and one without - is well worth extra money.

All Infra-Red ratings are done indoors, and will be far less outdoors than is rated for distance. Infra-Red operates largely by reflecting from surfaces - and outdoors, nobody can express the degree of reflection for your situation, so saying what distance night vision you will get is guessing at most.

The biggest illusion used by people who know nothing at all about CCTV is when they tell you they have a 36 LED camera that will give you 100ft night vision. Added to the issue of reflection above ...where your infra-reds are usually just dissipating into the night area with very little reflective surfaces, you look and find they have added a 5mm lens. At 45ft with a 5mm lens in the daytime you will get an image in which a human target will fill 11% of your screen size - 10% is the minimum accepted for the lowest level of usable surveillance. What kind of vision are you getting at 100ft in the night time. --- On this point alone the swan system is more truthful, and more realistic with the 480TVL resolution.

The only problem with a 1/4" sensor compared to a 1/3" sensor is light sensitivity - but because you have infra-red lamps on the camera - it's quite sensible to use the cheaper 1/4" for residential usage --- the issue of light sensitivity is negated, because the lamps will come on when the light is too low.

10,000 Hr life span on an led unit is almost half the expected life span for LED lamps --- another way of telling you when the camera burns out after 3 months, that the LED's need to be replaced and aren't covered by warranty.

3.6mm lens will give you the minimum accepted image for surveillance up to around 45ft, at best you will be able to get some id of a person at about 7-8Ft - but with 12 LED's you could work on the safe assumption of 7-8 ft of illumination in a decently reflective situation.

Obviously as far as the cameras are concerned, in both cases your are buying cheap --- the Costco cameras will not do what they claim to. AS your consideration might be based on price - buy the cheapest one, because both are basically gimmicks. The Swann system will work for you if you don't really want to see anything significant beyond 15ft.