smokingjoe

Port forwarding problem

Hi every one

Having trouble port forwarding.

Trying to port forward through two routers to access my DVR remotely. (JS-8XLA DVR)

The first is from my service provider, Comtrend Modem/Router CT-5621T. I only have one dynamic IP address. I can get a second IP address but would have to pay a monthly fee. This Comtrend modem/router has at least three ports on the back that I can plug into that will let me connect to the internet but I can only use one computer at a time. I also get my cable TV through this modem/router. I added another router for networking because I have two computers. This seems to work fine.

The second router is a linksys BEFSR41 four port router. I am sure that I have the port forwarding set up right on this router and the DVR because I can access the DVR from my computer when I have it connected to this networking router.

Yesterday I contacted the company that I bought the DVR from. GENIV technology. They told me that I may need to change my first modem/router to bridge mode and let the second router do all of the security. They said the two routers may cause something called double Nating.

Not sure how safe changing the comtrend to bridge mode would be.

What I was wondering is do you think it would work if I connected straight from the DVR to one of the ports on the first Comtrend Modem/router?

The only time I have my computer at home on is when I am there. So I may be able to connect to the DVR from a remote location that way.

Thanks Tim

If I understand your post, you added a second router to expand the number of ports on your first router, is that correct? Is so, you should not use two routers to do this. Instead, you should use a router and a switch. Some routers can be configured to act like a switch. Or, you can purchase a new switch (they are relatively cheap). Let me know if I'm even on the right track.

Best,

Christopher

Dont buy a new switch just yet, I believe you can turn off DHCP on that Linksys turning it into a switch.

Or turn off DHCP on the modem and use the Linksys router for your DHCP, I would do it like this if it were me because I am more familiar with the Linksys settings.

I would not buy a switch at this time. I would first connect a computer to one of the ports in the router from your ISP. Once you have internet connection on that computer I would run ipconfig /all on the command line. Look for your gateway and make a note of it. Open your browser and in the URL put the IP address of your gateway (the ISP router) if asked for a user name and password try admin admin or nothing or a combination of both. If you are able to get into the router look to see if it is in bride mode. Most of the time the routers from the ISP are in bridge mode. If so then it is basically transparent to the networks and all you have to do is on the Linksys router put the IP of the DVR in the DMZ of the router. Also you want to setup DDNS because your public IP address may change and then you cannot connect to the DVR. Sometimes even tough the DVR is on the DMZ you may still need to forward the TCP and UDP ports that the DVR is using to the IP address of the DVR in the router. Hope this helps

Thanks to all for the quick reply.

The Comtrend modem/router from my ISP is located in my living room. Several years ago I added the Linksys router in my computer room to have more ports there. Some time I have two computers running at the same time.

Options reply: Have not tried anything yet let me know what you all think.

I do have a Linlsys EZXS55W five port switch setting around that I can use if I need it.

I like the idea of turning off DHCP on the modem because I am pretty sure that I have the port forwarding set up right on the Linksys router. It works fine on my local network.

The Comtrend modem/router from my ISP does not seem very user friendly.

I accessed the Comtrend modem/router and found a place where I could disable DHCP Server. I could not find any place that would let me switch to bridge mode. Maybe someone could tell me where this might be.

If I understand what Isone85 is saying about the modem being transparent, I would guess to say that the modem/router is not set up in bridge mode because my ISP installed it a year or so before I added the second router.

I found DMZ on the linksys router. It is disabled and there is no IP address listed for DMZ HOST IP Address.

This could be the fix??

I am pretty sure I have my DDNS set up right but positive.

Thanks Tim

If your router gets an IP address from the modem after you turn off DHCP you are done, the router will handle every thing else.

Dont use DMZ, just open the ports on the router that the DVR needs open, I have the most success when I set my DVR up to pull a static IP from the router. That way it will always have the same IP and you never have to worry about changing any settings.

You said you have DDNS set up, is it set up on the router or on the DVR?

If you are using a router set the DDNS up on the router not the DVR and when you try to connect remotely make sure you add the port designation on the end i.e. http://my.dns.com:5550 the 5550 being the port I use, your of course might be different.

I disabled DHCP on the modem/router and I can access the internet. So I guess this means that my router got an IP address from the modem.

My DDNS is through G4IP.com and is presently setup on my DVR. They gave me the port numbers I need to open. I have these ports open on my router.

If I go this route which IP address should I put next to the port numbers on the router?

You said it would be best to set DDNS on the router not the DVR.

I accessed the router and under DDNS Server Drop down window all I see is

DynDNS.org

TZO

Disable

Not sure how to set this up on the router.

I disabled DHCP on the modem/router and I can access the internet. So I guess this means that my router got an IP address from the modem.

My DDNS is through G4IP.com and is presently setup on my DVR. They gave me the port numbers I need to open. I have these ports open on my router.

If I go this route which IP address should I put next to the port numbers on the router?

You said it would be best to set DDNS on the router not the DVR.

I accessed the router and under DDNS Server Drop down window all I see is

DynDNS.org

TZO

Disable

Not sure how to set this up on the router.

I see what you are saying, if there is not a setting to add G4IP.com to the linksys (custom setting) you will have to either figure out a way to add your actual IP address to G4IP or use something like dyndns.com which is free also but I think you log in every month to keep it from expiring.

The DVR companies offer the free dynamic dns hosting but they dont ever think the dvr might be behind a router for some reason.

I will play with mine and see if the DVR actually finds my ip address or the one the router gives it.

I logged into the g4ip.com and it says

Can I use your service behind a cable/DSL router?

Yes. You'll have to set up port forwarding on your router for your DVR's TCP

port; see your router's documentation for instructions on port forwarding.

I say try that and see if it works, the dvr might be smarter than I thought!

I am back.

Sorry it took so long. Not sure if this makes sense but I had trouble connecting to the Internet after disabling DHCP on my modem. I was unable to log back into the modem to change it back. I called my ISP and let them know what was going on and they tried to fix the problem remotely but had no luck. A service tech came to my house and was able to get DHCP enabled again. He also replaced the modem. He said he did not think the modem was bad but he replaced it anyway.

He seem to know what he was doing and was a very nice guy so knowing that it really was not part of his obligation I talked him into checking out the problem I was having with port forwarding.

He said that the way my Internet service was set up through my ISP that he did not think disabling DHCP work for me. He put the modem in bridge mode. He made sure that ports one and two on the modem were set up for Internet access. We connected a patch cable from port two on the modem straight to my DVR. He enabled DHCP on my DVR.

After enabling DHCP on the DVR there was no IP address showing on the network page of the DVR. (The next part is a little confusing to me, not sure if I got it exactly right.) He told me that the ISP only aloud three IP address changes in a 24 hour period. When he installed the new modem I got a new wan IP address. I have a dynamic IP address but this was the first time my IP address had changed in years. He said that in 24 hours my DVR should pull an IP address and it should show up on the network page of the DVR. All that I should have to do would be type in my IP address from a remote location and I could access the DVR. No port forwarding involved.

I checked the network page on my DVR today; there is still no IP address there.

Not sure if I should call him back. Like I said before it really was not part of his responsibility. Also, I live in a small community and my ISP offer security cameras instillation as part of their service. Not sure how they feel about working on someone else’s stuff. Don’t want to get him in trouble for trying to help me.

Hope I got this all straight and did not confuse anyone.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Tim

This is how it should be set up.

First you have your modem that gives you your WAN dynamic IP address then the router that creates your home network by handling all of the DHCP and port forwarding.

Try the easiest way first with out going into weird settings, plug only the router into the modem and plug everything else into the router and see if you have internet access.

If that works then setting up access to DVR will be easy.

OK here is what I have.

Now my modem is set in bridge mode.

I have one patch cable going from my modem to the router.

I have one patch cable going from my router to my computer.

I have one patch cable going from my router to my DVR.

I have DHCP enabled in my DVR.

I can connect to the Internet with my computer.

What do you suggest I do next?

Now set up your DVR like the tech originally told you and try to connect with the g4ip:port number.

That should be all you have to do.

Can your DVR assign a Local IP through DHCP? Check your manual to see what I mean and follow the instructs on how to do so. If so, do that. Once you get that Local IP, go to the computer that is hooked up in that same network and open up internet explorer. Type that DVR's IP in the web address bar. If you get your DVR login screen, then you are halfway there. If you do not get your login screen, that is a problem within itself and you will need to figure out the root of the problem before you proceed.

Then port forward all the appropriate ports that your DVR uses to that DVR's IP. You will do this within your Routers admin page, it sounds like you may have already set this up. But make sure your ports are being forwarded to your DVR's IP.

Furthur, make sure your ISP is not blocking any ports as this will inhibit login from a remote location. You can do this by getting on the computer that is within your network and going to canyouseeme.org You can then type in the port(s) that your DVR uses in the blank field. You will want to see if you get any messages saying that your ports are being blocked. If they are, you will need to call your ISP and tell them to unblock those ports or tell them to let you know of what ports you can use. if you get a message saying the port is open, you are almost home free. Also, you will want to write down the WAN IP that it shows when you are there at canyouseeme.org

Now, go to a computer that is not within the same network that your DVR is in, (i.e. a remote location) Type in your WAN IP that you seen at canyouseeme.org. You should be able to login to your DVR. If that doesnt work, type in the IP and follow it within a semi-colon and the port number that your DVR uses, example, if your DVR uses port number 80, and your WAN IP is 73.564.231.144, you would first try typing in exactly 73.564.231.144, if that doesnt work, follow it up with 73.564.231.144:80

OK

Going through and checking all of my port settings.

I can access the DVR from my computer by typing in the IP address.

Do have one question.

The manual I am using for my DVR settings, tells me to set the ports to default.

The default settings on the network page of the DVR is:

TCP Port is 37777

UDP Port is 37778

HTTP Port 80

What I am wondering about is the manual gives a list of default ports for setting up port forwarding for my G4-XLA Series DVR and the reference list is :TCP 80 and 8000. But (37777 is NOT IN THIS RANGE) ??

I just logged onto canyouseemee and they tell me port 37777 and port 80 are open. Port 37778 they could not see.

I looked at the IP address and it is the same wan address I have.

I guess the next thing to do is go to a remote location and try it.

According to this manual all I should have to do is type in the user name and g4ip.com. Example abcdefg.g4ip.com

If this don't work I will try typing in my wan address.

Will do it this afternoon. Any suggestions before I go let me know.

It works

I just called my daughter and had her type in the g4 address and she was able to see my cameras from her house.

I do have one other question.

Should I change my port forwarding numbers from the default numbers? Wondering about how secure the default port numbers would be.

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Tim

Should I change my port forwarding numbers from the default numbers? Wondering about how secure the default port numbers would be.

They wont be any more secure than the ones you already have open. The default port numbers that you DVR manual gave has nothing to do with how secure a port is, your ISP will know more about port security, but I doubt that one port is more secure than another. Leave it the way it is and have a beer or coffee and pat yourself on the back and relax for the rest of the night.

65535 is the highest port number you can use if you want to connect to it from the outside.

Check the manual again and when you use the g4ip append the port number that you have forwarded on the end like this:

http://your-dvr.g4ip.com:8080 8080 being whatever number you have forwarded through your router.

::edit:: I see you got it working while I was typing, I guess you can get it to work with a port higher than 65535, my router wont even let me use a value higher than that.