abid_z_uk

USB Backup error

hi, i have a 4 channel mpeg4 dvr and when i insert the usb at the front a message comes up saying usb connected, then i go through the menu onto usb backup, choose which camera, the start time end times etc and then when i click start an error message apears - 'usb file system error'. i have connected the usb with my computer and it is already formatted in fat32 format, but i did it again just in case. it is a 16gb sandisk flash usb. i have also tried a 4gb usb. i do not know the company of my dvr but i recieved it as a package with the ganz cameras. i have looked at the userguide and is not much help. so any help from here is welcome, thanks

hi, i have a 4 channel mpeg4 dvr and when i insert the usb at the front a message comes up saying usb connected, then i go through the menu onto usb backup, choose which camera, the start time end times etc and then when i click start an error message apears - 'usb file system error'. i have connected the usb with my computer and it is already formatted in fat32 format, but i did it again just in case. it is a 16gb sandisk flash usb. i have also tried a 4gb usb. i do not know the company of my dvr but i recieved it as a package with the ganz cameras. i have looked at the userguide and is not much help. so any help from here is welcome, thanks

Hi try and change the format from fat 32 on your usb stick to fat only.

thanks, but when i try to format the usb it just gives me these options: fat32, ntfs, xfat. i will try the xfat and see how it goes

FAT16 partitions are limited to 2Gb in size. I would find it very strange that a DVR would only recognise FAT partitions, but you could give it a try, you need to remove the current partition/s on your 4Gb or 16Gb pendrive, make just one 2Gb partition, and then you will be able to format it with FAT16.

What operating system is giving you this xfat partition?

Anyway .. make it FAT or FAT32 thats it. If it doesnt recognize either of them then there is a problem. We use FAT for installing Windows XP from a USB drive BTW.

Here is a tool from HP that formats USB drives as FAT:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

i am using windows vista 32bit. i have tried the usb with the exfat and fat32 still i get the same error message on my dvr, im not sure what to do now because i am worried if somthing happens then i will not be able to back it up. i have just used the tool above and that only gives me the options of fat32 or ntfs, anyway ill put it back to fat32 with this and will let you know how it goes, (also just remembered i think i chose the quick format option for the exfat, ill try both the fat32 and exfat as a full format next) thanks anyway

What operating system is giving you this xfat partition?

Anyway .. make it FAT or FAT32 thats it. If it doesnt recognize either of them then there is a problem. We use FAT for installing Windows XP from a USB drive BTW.

Here is a tool from HP that formats USB drives as FAT:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

i am using windows vista 32bit. i have tried the usb with the exfat and fat32 still i get the same error message on my dvr, im not sure what to do now because i am worried if somthing happens then i will not be able to back it up. i have just used the tool above and that only gives me the options of fat32 or ntfs, anyway ill put it back to fat32 with this and will let you know how it goes, (also just remembered i think i chose the quick format option for the exfat, ill try both the fat32 and exfat as a full format next) thanks anyway

what make of dvr do you have.

it has no company name, I just found the same manual on the internet which says it is for the AVC 782, 781, & 760. there is a quick start guide in english and the main manual which is in italian, i won this package including the ganz cameras and a screen from a cash & carry so should be decent quality, and funny enough in the italian manual at the back troubleshooting it says if you get usb error message then to format the usb in fat32, which i am currently doing and is taking a very long time lol (i used a language translator on google)

You can do it over the network but if that is the AVtech then I have to tell you the quality wont be much to work with. Otherwise you will need their software and have it on the network, connect to it as admin and then can download video by events.

I had a try again with fat32 but no luck, are there any other ways of backing up my recorded video

could just be the type of usb stick you are using .

Your flash drive may not be supported in our DVR. For detailed information, please check the compatible list in your DVR user's manual and see if the brand name of your flash drive is included.Our DVRs only recognize FAT32 format. So, please format your USB flash drive as FAT32.

Tomcctv is correct. Some of the older / cheaper DVRs are very selective about what USB pen drive chipsets they accept. Some of the older ones with ancient firmware will not handle much up to, or over 1gb. It may also be the amount of data you are trying to export, if it is a long time period, try breaking it down in to smaller ones. My suggestion would be to dig out the oldest, smallest capacity drive you can find and try to export to that. Also, ensure you restart the DVR between each attempt with a different drive, as an un-supported USB drive can cause the port to freeze making any subsequent attempts with different drives useless.

Good Luck!